It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broke My Hand - Tips Needed for Survival...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
So I had a bad night 3 nights ago and decided to take out some aggression on my door. Being drunk at the time, I didn't feel like it was broken until the next morning when it was cold, pale, black and blue in spots, incredibly swollen and burning with pain. I went to urgent care, got an x-ray, and understandably was diagnosed with a "Boxer's Fracture of my 5th metacarpal.

Now I have to reap, with one hand, what I sowed with vast stupidity. I am asking you all - people with one arm / people who have broken a hand/wrist/arm - for help, if you so choose.

First, I would like to know from someones experience, if I will be able to play guitar. It was pretty much my tool to keep me sane.

Secondly, how on earth do I wash, my good arm? I cant wash the broken hand's arm because it needs to be in a bag or else the splint gets wet. Im thinking i could tape a wash cloth to something sturdy and rub my arm on it, but my shower is small and that sounds kinda dumb.

Thirdly, how do I tie shoes? I'm thinking this is impossible, so i'll keep them tied the best i can until i see a friend.

I also can't take out my trash, zip zippers, cook certain meals, go grocery shopping, etc.

Anyone have any good tips on how to just basically function in college with a one bedroom apartment and a disabled limb? They would be greatly appreciated!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

The first week is the toughest, after that all your fingers will work with the exception of the one with the broken knuckle. Don't baby it, you'll need to exercise the muscles to keep the hand strong otherwise once the cast comes off your hand will feel like jello.
Also, NEVER get the cast wet, the gauze inside holds moisture and it will begin to smell bad. If you get it wet and it starts to burn see a doctor right away.
Don't get drunk with the cast on without a buddy to keep an eye on you, the temptation to use the cast for a hammer can be pretty overwhelming.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

hi op

ive bust my hand a few times over drink and walls lols
even shatterd my thumb
i can still play the guitar (badly lol)
it helpd me to just keep moving it
like clench and unclench your fist
it hurts like hell but that passes eventualy
and my hand has become stronger every time
regards
dave

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

haha what a moron you are!

People wish to have a arm and you struggle to get rid of yours.
I understand that sometimes life ain't so fun but to go to the
extremity of #in your own hand up is a tad #ed up.

Well your hands gonna have to stink a bit since you can't wash it
and if your gonna take a bath/shower put a plastic bag over it to not get water.
At least that's what my friend did when he to broke his arm and I asked
him how'd he wash with one arm.

Your hand is prob gonna take a good 6 months to get any better. Enjoy being one
handed and seeing that your body is for granted.

edit on 1-10-2011 by foreshadower99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
If you plan on guitar playing in your future, you must not rush the healing process. The faster you try to get back to normal, the more range of motion you will loose. The above poster said to use the muscles or you will be jelly like. I would say take it easy on your broken hand. Just work it through all the ranges of motion that you are able to without too much pain. Roll your fingers like a wave as gently as possible without tensing and straining.

Just try to move fingers lightly at first, dont put any weight on it, Open your hand as wide as you can and then relax, then repeat. Guitar playing relies on your ability to open and expand your hand and digits this will be difficult if you rush the set and meshing of your bone.

Don't rush it. Growing up, I always rushed sprained ankles. They like hands take time to heal 100%
edit on 1-10-2011 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Its also extremely hard to do anything with my hair. Guess I should get it cut short.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
what are you freaking out for , go with the flow .

Stick your shoes laces inside your shoes or buy velcro shoes .

Bag your arm and tape it or rubber band the bag on .

Wipe your butt with the other hand .

Sleep with your arm above your heart and take your meds for pain .

Worse case scenario for washing your stinky hand from the cast , is to cut it off soak your arm and be gentle . Then go back to the hospital and get a new cast put back on .

It really isn't that hard to adjust , you do have your teeth to aid in holding things right or use your legs .

See if they can put an air cast on it .
edit on 1-10-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Don't break your other hand?

Only tip i could think of...

top topics

join