It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hedonism - The one and only goal should be happiness!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The reason why anyone wants anything anyway is because they believe that it'll make them happy.

People want money because they believe it'll make them happy.
People want love because love makes them happy.
People want respect because respect makes them happy.

If you were to just be happy then it would be impossible to have a bad life because you'll have the only thing that you were searching for anyway.

Don't try to be happy, simply, be happy!
Don't try to have a happy life, make one by being happy now!

May you look inside yourself and see that shining light of happiness already flowing through you within.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
i wish i was like you, easily amused.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf10
i wish i was like you, easily amused.

Too bad it doesn't work in Somalia unless you're a pirate, and even then...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf10

What else could I say? Everyone is gay!

In the happy sense of the word, that is.

I'm happy go-lucky! Spreading the joy!

Hedonism is an awesome philosophy.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

If everybody thought like this we would still be living in caves and dying from commonly curable disease.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gravity215
reply to post by arpgme

If everybody thought like this we would still be living in caves and dying from commonly curable disease.

There are people who find happiness and passion in finding cures and helping others...
edit on 29-9-2011 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
In the real world, not everyone can afford such luxuries. Happiness to a starving man could be a piece of bread; go tell him to happy.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

reply to post by arpgme

There are people who find happiness and passion in finding cures and helping others...

And them people who devote with passion and love in finding a cure who dont find one are going to be happy still? i think not... and them people who live miserable lives being eaten up inside from disease living with a negative outlook no matter what happens outside of their disease can be happy too?! be born with or live rich and healthy and dont have a conscience, thats the way to happiness... unfortunately for the reality of life only a small few ever experience. to me happiness is....just a word.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

How would that work out for a married woman in Saudi Arabia?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip
In the real world, not everyone can afford such luxuries. Happiness to a starving man could be a piece of bread; go tell him to happy.

Who said anything about luxuries?

Originally posted by camouflaged

reply to post by arpgme

And them people who devote with passion and love in finding a cure who dont find one are going to be happy still? i think not... and them people who live miserable lives being eaten up inside from disease living with a negative outlook no matter what happens outside of their disease can be happy too?! be born with or live rich and healthy and dont have a conscience, thats the way to happiness... unfortunately for the reality of life only a small few ever experience. to me happiness is....just a word.

Anyone can be happy regardless of their circumstances, that's the whole point. It's finding a way to be happy even though you feel sad or depressed. It's finding a way to be happy regardless of what's going on...

Originally posted by MysticPearl

How would that work out for a married woman in Saudi Arabia?

No matter who you are or where you are born, you can always find a way to be happy.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip

It is now a luxury to be happy? that pretty much sums up the world today....how sad.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Easily amused??! No! It's the opposite, to simply be happy without depending on anything else but you isn't easy in a #ed up world like this. People will tell you crap like you're lying to yourself, although it's them lying to themselves, thinking they'll need this and that to be happy, when the only thing they would have to do is be happy. They will start to hate you, because you don't play their game of living an unsatisfied life with self projected problems, hating everyone around them. If we would all live in a cage and would die off dieseases, I wouldn't care, I wouldn't be dying off a disease, I would simply be happy!
People will get pissed if you tell them, that money is no thing to care about, because they don't understand. They don't understand this whole thing. For them it's all random and we are the idiots. But in the end.... Look who's smiling and look who's angry trying to find someone to blame and to argue with. So... who's the idiot?! The giy that smiles, or the guy that screams and punishes himself?! You can always find reasons why you can't be happy, but they are only in your mind.. I forgive you all, you just don't know!

It's so funny to read all these people... How should her be happy. Happiness is no luxury, it may be a word, but it's a way of life, too. I don't care if somewhere anyone isn't happy and convincing himself, that I can't be. You are all so lost in your minds... I'm rolling on the floor laughing, because all the reasons you thought up are worthless. Why can't YOU be happy, if some guy doesn't find some cure (fictional scene)?! Are YOU a married woman in saudi arabia??! No???? So what in the blueest of all blue hells are you talking about??! ROFL...
edit on 29-9-2011 by Astar316 because: I have to say some more

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Oh man, the responses in here are just, well, idiotic and so negative, even ignorant. Happiness is always ever-present regardless of where you live, regardless of how negative the world is around you, regardless of what disease you have or how much money you own... those of you who don't understand and see that have an important lesson to learn. In fact I find it dangerous to see some people on here who show outright hostility to the concept of happiness, it shows how vulnerable you are to outside forces and how easy it is to fill your minds and hearts with negative things, its time to move beyond the material world and your ego and concentrate on being happy.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Well as long as its about happines for everyone, or more specifically, not on the expense of other people... Im all for it

In our Brain its not about left or right, but all about dopamine, endorphin and serotonin anyways.
The only warfare should be chemical warfare - in our head.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Astar316

I love your response! People just find to many reasons to not be happy. If you caught a disease and there is no cure, why would you die unhappy? Since you're gonna die anyway, you might as well be happy.

Whether you find the cure or not...

Whether you pass or not...

Whether it goes your way or not...

You can still find a way to be happy, right now! It feels so good, so why wait?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I think you are a bit confused or perhaps the definition has changed. Hedonism is not what you are describing. Hedonism is the focus of self-pleasure and self-love, regardless of the happiness of others around you. That is the description of your typical westerner. America is already a hedonistic society; just watch our commercials or look through a shopping strip.

What you are saying is not bad but it's not hedonism. I don't know what it's called but if I had to coin it, I'd call it Bobby McFerrinism:

Definitely not hedonism.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I love this thread. It's so fricking happy it's like a unicorn vomited rainbows all over it. And this in my opinion is a good thing!

The only thing I want to add is that hedonism doesn't cure emotional pain. It might take the mind off the pain, or make the mind forget about the pain, but it doesn't remove the pain.

For example, picture a woman who had a lot of # happen in her life. She can't get over the pain because she doesn't know how. Instead she turns to things that give her pleasure so she forgets about the pain. She decides to have a baby because she loves feeling needed, and a baby would make her very happy. But for some reason she's still not happy. She decides it must be because of where she lives, so she moves to another city, which surely would solve her problems because she can leave the home that keeps her from being happy. But even after moving, she still feels like something is missing. She decides to get a dog, because she loves dogs and having one would make her very happy. But it's still not enough.

So, why isn't she happy? The reason is there is still that gap, that cut, inside her heart that was never mended. A lot of chocolate and ice cream was eaten, but the wound never healed. It needed something different.

The path to curing emotional wounds isn't easy. It requires deep meditation, and searching for the root of that pain. It requires recollecting painful memories and emotions, and dealing with that pain. Basically, it's damn difficult and this is the main reason why so many people walk around with so many problems in their lives. Would a hedonist go through all this pain to cure their emotional wounds? I don't think so, but please correct me if I'm mistaken. I feel as though a hedonist wouldn't feel like thinking about their pain and working through it would be worth it. I feel like they'd rather forget about the pain because such pain is pointless to experience, and they should fill that hole with happiness. But that punctured wound is still there even though it is covered by marshmallows and unicorn rainbows. And any small earthquake can unearth that pain, and the person will have to resort to filling it with more marshmallows and unicorn rainbows.

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just trying to show how this idea of pain is bad and pleasure is good can be problematic. I just hope I explained myself well enough for others to understand.

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Hedonism is about BEING happy, that also includes thinking, speaking, and feeling....

Think things that makes you feel better!
Do what you can to feel better and get happy, that is what Hedonism is! It's not just about taking action it's also about restructuring belief systems into something which makes you feel BETTER and BETTER!

If something "bad" happens to you, you can say "this bad thing happened to me" or you can say "this isn't even a bad thing, it just feels like it because I can't see the whole picture". It's OBVIOUS which one feels better!

Keep replaying these Happy-Go-Lucky thoughts and they'll stick! And if they don't who cares! You still feel GOOD in the process and that's the whole point!

It's the happiness! The happiness is the main goal!

Feel better! Be Happy!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
hehe i think socrates covered this one a few thousand years ago.

hedonist: the purpose of life is to for fill ones immediate desires. to do so is to be happy.

socrates: interesting. have you ever had an itch you couldnt scratch, and when you finally do, it is one of the most pleasurable experiences possible?

hedonist: of course

socrates: so by your definition, the ideal life would be to have an eternal itch one could eternally scratch!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
If it was that easy don't you think we would just do it? Besides life isn't just about happiness the pursuit of wisdom is also imporant.

new topics

top topics

join