It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schwarzenegger President 2008?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Ok so again I state.

Swarzenegger cannot be President of the United States under the law that he is not a natural born citizen.

If, in fact, the bill passes and he can run and actually wins, then I fear for our country.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal
Proposed but not passed.. yet. Correct?

So in fact at this particular moment Arnie cannot run for president. Right?

Right. But...

IF Senator Hatch's bill is passed then the Senate COULD allow him to run. Right now all three branches of Government are under Republican control and don't forget democratic support from the Kennedy connections. They would see this as a way to have some influence on the White-House.

This bill could easily pass IMHO.

Arnold would be a good candidate on so many levels... except maybe the right ones.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
See, there is that word again. IF

So many if's. But right now he can't I hope that he never can. I think it is insane that he's actually governor of California. I can't stand to hear him speak, and mutilate the words so badly.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
[Right. But...

IF Senator Hatch's bill is passed then the Senate COULD allow him to run.

No he couldn't - the States must vote to amend the constitution. Read the entire proposal

specifically:

`SECTION 2. This article shall not take effect unless it has been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States not later than 7 years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.'.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
What a good idea....let's amend the constitution for the sake of one man.

If they actually allow him to run, I say they make an amendment allowing Clinton to run again.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
You are correct, Arnie cannot run for President of the United States because he is NOT a natural born citizen. The bill has NOT been passed.

What happened to the laws our country was established by? Why does everyone want to change that? If the law was made hundreds of years ago that President has to be a natural born citizen, whats wrong with keeping it that way? That's the problem today..too many changes.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by WuvLove]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
No he couldn't - the States must vote to amend the constitution. Read the entire proposal

Thanks Bleys. Caught me on that one.

That will be much more difficult if not impossible.

Nevertheless the attempt is being made and I find it appalling that it is for someone like AHHNold.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

Thanks Bleys. Caught me on that one.

No, it's good to discuss these things and determine their validity...we also need to check up on Congress continually. Ever since I heard they were attempting to pass legislation to "override" the authority of the Supreme Court, I have been keeping a careful eye on these boneheads. We may not like all the decisions handed down by the Courts, but overall they do an excellent job and they definitely keep the powers that be on a short leash.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Guess we have to wait and see, but if anyone thinks that certain people and organizations are going to stop their agenda because of the "Constitution" you are wrong. I'm sure there is a law or two against killing Americans with "ARMED AIRCRAFT" as on 9-11. Not trying to start a discussion about 9-11, but elements of our government, and others DID IT. The laws they are trying to slip into our system through the "Patriot Act" and other means are far reaching and some could effect the "Constitution", without States approval.

Respects,

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
In a nation of immigrants shouldn't someone not born here, if they've lived here long enough, be allowed to run for President?

What if the most brilliant, charismatic, qualified person for the office was German, but moved here when they were 3 years old. They're absolutley 100% apple pie eating American now and speak perfect English. Why shouldn't after spending at least 32 years of their life in America they not be allowed to run for President?

This amendment, with the right stipulations isn't a bad thing in my opinion. I do agree though, that this has to do with Arnold.

Does anyone remember in "Demolition Man" where Sandra Bullock's charcter told Stallone's character that Arnold was first the Governor of California then after an amendment the President? Weird.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
President Shwarzenegger.....
Hehe anyone remember the movie Demolition Man?

From The Demolition Man:

Stallone: "Hold it! The Schwarzenegger Library?"
Bullock: "Yes, the Schwarzenegger Presidential Library. Wasn't he an actor?"
Stallone: "Stop! He was President?"
Bullock: "Yes. Even though he was not born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment."

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
In a nation of immigrants shouldn't someone not born here, if they've lived here long enough, be allowed to run for President?

What if the most brilliant, charismatic, qualified person for the office was German, but moved here when they were 3 years old. They're absolutley 100% apple pie eating American now and speak perfect English. Why shouldn't after spending at least 32 years of their life in America they not be allowed to run for President?

What if? First of all Swarzenegger does not speak perfect english, he speech is sloppy and slow. He talks like he got hit too many times in Terminator movies. Secondly, I don't think unless you are born in this country that you should get to lead it. I am sorry, I know that America is filled with many different races and ethnic groups, I know for a fact that there is a good leader among some of us without having to bring in someone from a different country.

Why? Why can't an American run America? Why is that such a difficult concept to grasp?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
In Illinois, we are required to take a test in high school and in college on the how the government works. Specifically the branches, legislation, executive, judicial etc. I could not but help thinking that some of you were sleeping through their civics classes.

First of all it is not a bill, it is a proposed amendment to the constitution. As it was stated several times in this thread, that means that the states have to ratify it, not just congress.

If Congress were to pass any law allowing him to run, the Supreme Court would strike it down as being in violation of the constitution.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
You all sound as if you are scared that if they allow him to run the temptation you all feel to vote for him is too unbearable and you could not control yourselves and just as you tick the other candidates box, bop you tick Arnies and he becomes the next nutter in a long line of lunatics to become the most powerfull person on the planet. Great can`t wait

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal

What if? First of all Swarzenegger does not speak perfect english, he speech is sloppy and slow. He talks like he got hit too many times in Terminator movies.

I didn't say he did. That's why I didn't use him as an example. I don't think someone that came here as an adult should be allowed to be the President.

Secondly, I don't think unless you are born in this country that you should get to lead it. I am sorry, I know that America is filled with many different races and ethnic groups, I know for a fact that there is a good leader among some of us without having to bring in someone from a different country.

Which one, John Kerry or George Bush? Al Gore or George Bush? We've had two consecutive elections of lesser of two evils. I'm not talking about races and ethnic groups, I'm talking about immigrants.

Why? Why can't an American run America? Why is that such a difficult concept to grasp?

You don't seem to grasp the concept. If someone immigrates here when they are a child, becomes an absolute red blooded American, are more then qualified for the Presidency, why shouldn't they be allowed to run? They recieved the same education, same values, same culture as any other kid. They are American, and I should think that any immigrant that has become a citizen would take exception to the characterization that they aren't.

I don't believe the wording of the current proposed Amendment cuts it, however. I'd say someone has to move here prior to turning 18, cannot hold a duel citizenship, and has to have lived here for at least 35 years.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join