It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Ghosts Real? A Quantum Explanation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
When talking about the paranormal a question that seems to always pop up is: Are Spirits Real?
This question is usually divided down the middle by staunch believers or skeptics. I would even argue that this division is correlated to whether or not a person is an atheist.

But what does science say about the possibility? Most classical scientists would say there is no evidence therefore spirits can't exist; however, here is a quote by reputable scientist Henry Sapp, a quantum physicist.

Source

I decided to look into this further and came across a very interesting article by EnlightenNext Magazine. In it, they interviewed Henry Sapp, a distinguished quantum physicist who studied under Heisenberg, and Pauli, amongst others. This is what he said regarding this issue:

[R]espectable theorists hold a wide variety of views as to how to understand quantum mechanics. That theory accommodates a large variety of phenomena that are not allowed by classical mechanics. The key point here is this: If something like [William] James’ fantastic laws of clinging do exist, and they are sufficiently strong, then aspects of a personality might be able to survive bodily death and persist for a while as an enduring mental entity, existing somewhere in Descartes’ world of mental things, but capable on rare occasions of reconnecting with the physical world. I do not see any compelling theoretical reason why this idea could not be reconciled with the precepts of quantum mechanics. Such an elaboration of quantum mechanics would both allow our conscious efforts to influence our own bodily actions, and also allow certain purported phenomena such as “possession”, “mediumship”, and “reincarnation” to be reconciled with the basic precepts of contemporary physics.

These considerations are, I think, sufficient to show that any claim that postmortem personality survival is impossible that is based solely on the belief that it is incompatible with the contemporary laws of physics is not rationally supportable.

So, I think the real issue with people who use science as a defense against the idea of spirits or ghosts, is that this belief goes against their personal belief system, hence they rely on classical mechanics to support their viewpoint and ignore the rest. Its like the kid in the corner with their hands over their ears going la la la I can't hear you.
edit on 26-9-2011 by xEphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

of course ghosts are multidimensional, based on the graham-wheeler-everett multiverse

hypothesis. Recently, dark energy and matter were thought to possibly lie in a parallel

universe within "1mm" of ours, such that their effects were measurable, but not visible.

Reminds me of the old Iroquois chiefs' saying "the difference between this world and the spirit

world is as thin as a blade of grass"...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by drphilxr

I love that quote drphilxr. I've always viewed ghosts and spirits as living in another dimension, it's just nice to see a scientist come out and say that it's a rational belief to have. Most scientist scoff at the idea.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
interesting thread, thanks op.
i hope that science will eventually find evidence of a spirit world or dimension. i believe that ghost, spirits exists and that they influence or maybe determine human destinies.
the spiritworld acknowledged by science would mean a major breakthrough to understand why we are and what we are.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Something I have never shared:

When I was about 6 years old my grandmother pasted away, all of us small kids stayed with a family friend while the rest of the family went to the funeral.
This was in Georgia, it summer and very hot. Later that night I slept with my mom in my grandmothers room, during the night I woke up freezing and opened my eyes and there stood my grandmother next to the bed. She touched me on the hip and said "I am ok, everything will be alright", she smiled at me and walked toward the door and sort of faded away. I tried to wake up my mom but she whispered go back to sleep. The next morning I told her what happened but she insisted that I was only dreaming.
A couple of weeks later my mom was talking to my aunt about the funeral and people she seen in GA. that she hadn't seen in years. There was a pause in their conversation and I took that opportunity to join in. I started with how beautiful my grandmothers dress was with pretty lace ruffles and how her hair was curled, I went on to talk about the jewelry she was wearing and then I stopped: The look on my moms face scared the crap out of me, I thought I had said something wrong, my mom quickly asked me what color was the dress and I said peach color. My mom started tearing up and looked at my aunt and said there is no way she could have known any of that. My aunt asked, how do you know this and I said because I seen her, she came in the room and woke me up. My mom told her about what happened and how she thought I was only dreaming, they both agreed FINALLY that it was no dream!

This is the only time I have ever seen a ghost, there is no way I could have known all this in great detail as I was not at the funeral. No one ever mentioned what she was wearing. I will never forget it,it's very vivid, still.
It has been comforting to my mom all these years to know that her mother came to be me and said those words.

Most of the time I do not believe in ghost stories, I think this was a rare act of love and a comforting good bye.

*I also remember feeling confused because I wasn't sure what a funeral was, I didn't understand what was happening. But after she came in the room, I felt at peace and ok with it all.

edit on 27-9-2011 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2011 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Its certainly good to know that not all scientists think we are just nuts. Not that it ever hurt my belief before.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This is the Age of Awakening...for us here in the West.

In the East, Ghosts are not a matter of question but have long since been understood as being part of our existence.

It's good to see this revelation beginning to evolve from the scientific community and moreso that they're breaking from the bonds of the fear of ridicule by society and their peers.

But also as I always mention, it also took two uneducated bicycle mechanics (Wright Brothers), to overcome the then claimed "Impossibility" of heavier than air flight. based solely upon Newton's Laws of Gravity. As had been proclaimed by the leading scientist at the time, Lord Kelvin.

Why two mere bicycle mechanics ? Because they hadn't been confined by the paradigm of western science at the time.

I always like this example because it is entirely demonstrative of how science explains as well as at the same time also confines and limits our understanding of the world around us.

And hence the age of awakening....for some of us that is...

new topics

top topics

join