It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizen scientists help find alien planets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

With your help, we are looking for planets around other stars

www.planethunters.org...
Although I am certain this has been posted before I guess not in such a way as to catch my attention and so I wanted to bring it up here for those people with some time on their hands that might want to discover a planet or two!

I searched here on ATS and although I found a couple stories dealing with new planets, none were these pitched as being discovered by average Joes with an interest in science and I would dress up my thread with interesting photos if I knew how to negotiate those new photo changes.
Truthfully I haven't tried...in some ways, I am a staunch conservative...lol

The website I found this story on has a lot of great information, the kind of thing I read here on ATS, or enjoy reading anyway...weird science discoveries and anthropological stuff.

Citizen scientists find 2 potential alien planets - SPACE MSNBC.com

Ordinary folks surfing the Web have helped spot two alien planet candidates, a new study reveals. Neither potential planet is thought to be habitable, though one looks to be a rocky world just 2-1/2 times more massive than Earth, researchers said. The other one appears to be about eight times the mass of of Earth. Citizen scientists working via the online Planet Hunters project discovered the two candidates in data gathered by NASA's Kepler Space Telescope. www.msnbc.msn.com...-ypVRU

Article: Citizen Scientists Help Find Alien Planets

Hunting down alien planets isn't just for professional astronomers anymore. Thousands of citizen scientists have been poring over data from NASA's Kepler spacecraft, which has so far detected 1,235 potential alien worlds. To date, the amateurs have flagged 50 candidate planets that the mission's sophisticated software may have missed, www.space.com...

Space Hunting for Planets from the Comfort of Your Own Home

But while computers are terrific at high-volume data-processing, nothing beats the human eye for pattern-recognition — which is why a project dreamed up by Yale University astronomer Debra Fischer, a veteran planet hunter and Kepler project scientist, has turned out to be so extraordinarily useful. Called Planethunters.org, it lets ordinary folks with no scientific training at all help find planets the Kepler software has missed. Read more: www.time.com...

I am sure this has been reported on in another thread but interesting and the first I came to learn of it: Welcome to planet hunters. With your help, we are looking for planets around other stars www.planethunters.org...

Part of the ....

The Zooniverse is home to the internet's largest, most popular and most successful citizen science projects www.zooniverse.org...

And finally from the UK
Citizen scientists discover two new alien worlds on Planet Hunters while sitting at their computers Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...[/b ]
edit on 23-9-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I bought a planet years ago.I registered it .If you need any information on my planet,I would be more than glad to oblige.I am thinking of selling off some of the mineral rights so I would be more than happy to cut you a deal based on the current economic conditions.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
I bought a planet years ago.I registered it .If you need any information on my planet,I would be more than glad to oblige.I am thinking of selling off some of the mineral rights so I would be more than happy to cut you a deal based on the current economic conditions.

How are you set for gold?

And I don't mean pyrite.

But if we can't eat my men can't dig for it so we need to fashion a species to grow food and sacrifice goats just to FEED us while we strip the planet of resources and precious metals. You got any apes we can splice with a human genome? Wait a minute that would not make them all that much smarter. I will be back when I have either a better grade of DNA or a workforce. Get back to me on the Apes.

edit on 23-9-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I can supply you with a family of sasquatch.Much smarter than apes and tremendously stronger too.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
I can supply you with a family of sasquatch.Much smarter than apes and tremendously stronger too.

Signing off for today....lmao

True, true.

new topics

top topics

join