It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange sound(s) from the sky above South England

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
At around 2:30 AM on Friday the 16th of this month I heard a very odd sound coming from my open window. After spending 30 minutes trying & failing to identify it I stuck my camera, which is a Canon Powershot A480 for those who are curious, on the window sill and let it record video for just over 90 seconds. I played it back & found that my camera's microphone picked it up much better than my ears which made it even more difficult to identify.
The first video can be found here: www.megaupload.com...
The double beep around 40 seconds in was my watch telling me it was 3 AM.

After hearing how well the sound was picked up I felt that something a bit longer would be helpful in identification purposes which didn't exactly turn out as planned.
You can find the second video here:www.megaupload.com...
This one is just over 5 minutes long and deepens the mystery by adding a few more sounds which are difficult to explain.

I continued to hear the noise at the same volume(s) until around 5:30 AM when a change indicated that whatever the source was it had moved to a different area. It eventually faded out & I didn't hear it at all from about 7 AM onwards. That gives a total time of four & a half hours, far longer than most of the other posts I've seen with similar reports which is one of the reasons I'm posting this.

If anyone's wondering why these aren't posted to Youtube the answer's simple: I've had my own server for some time now and I wanted to leave both videos completely unedited in a bid to retain as much of their integrity as possible. The only things I did with them was transfer them from the camera to my hard drive and from my hard drive to the FTP server. This has the unfortunate side effect of making their file sizes relatively large as the video data rate is rather high. Blame my camera for that

My opinion as to what these sounds may or may not be is probably conspicuous by its absence. This is because I'm trying not to influence anyone's perception of these videos by adding preconceived ideas as much as I can. In order to keep the experimental pool untainted, so to speak, you may want to listen to the videos first before viewing any replies ( assuming I get some, of course
).

I've came to some conclusions as to what the noise is not, conclusions as to what it is would be most welcome as I'm completely baffled.

ETA: Alternate download links if anyone has problems with Megaupload.
First video: www.synthetic-dreams.co.uk...
Second video: www.synthetic-dreams.co.uk...
edit on 21/9/11 by Microwaved because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Oh man, need a faster server, 110 megs for the short one @ 50kbps ouch!

I'll be back in an hour when it's down

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Microwaved

Might just be me but the video won't load, it comes up but just doesn't buffer

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Ack, sorry about that, It averages around 300 KB/s for me so I thought it'd be the same for everyone.

reply to post by Allis1

I'm currently uploading the two videos to Megaupload so I'll provide alternate, and much faster, links just as soon as I have them. Until then try right clicking on the file & selecting Save (Target) As.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allis1
reply to post by Microwaved

Might just be me but the video won't load, it comes up but just doesn't buffer

I don't think it's a streaming video,right click and save as. You're buffering 110 megs, it wont play for ... well im still downloading it!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
had to download it to my computer, I think its messing up when playing, just kind of plays half a second of audio then loops that part over and over, no matter where you move the time bar it just starts doing that.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Well while we wait for the upload

Where abouts in the south are your from OP?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Hmm, well it certainly isn't anything like the other "noise in the sky" videos. It's just a constant pitch of really annoying noise. All I can say is gutted for having to put up with that for however long

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I had no problem with downloading or playback of the short clip.
The other is pretty slow.

It sound like a humming, like an engine running in a room, or a street hoover something.
But very difficult to say what it is, on a recording.
Did the sound have a dirrection, or fill the sky, like coming from everywhere?

The only thing i can say is, you got it on tape

edit on 21-9-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
In a silent night... you can hear him.. also in your city...

its GHOST RIDER!

[clip removed due to violation of T&C]

Own´s someone in your Neighborhood simply a hayabusa..`?

its definitely not Paranormal

edit on 22-9-2011 by Gazrok because: video clip violated T&C versus profanity

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Upload is finally finished & the first post has been updated accordingly.

reply to post by Allis1

I've been in Bedford for the last 12-13 years, I was born & raised in Hartlepool and even after being away from it for so long it still feels like home, oddly enough.

reply to post by Mianeye

It seemed to be coming mainly from the east and judging by the changes in volume whatever was the cause was circling over a wide area.

Originally posted by Bartender
its definitely not Paranormal

The fact that this is posted in The Grey Area wasn't enough of a hint that I don't think this is paranormal in origin? Thanks for pointing out the blatantly obvious anyway

edit on 21/9/11 by Microwaved because: My fingers are on holiday

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I reupped the files from MegaWaitLoad to my server for you. It should save you a couple minutes on download.
Short file
Long file

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

Excellent, thank you very much for that
I'd add them to the first post if it allowed me to edit it but it appears a cut off time is in place.

Anyone else got an opinion on what this could be?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Did anyone ever mention more on this?

I couldnt, as I ended up bricking my el cheapo tablet (dont ask, because its just a sad tale... gosh.. I even hear my self durp at times..) and never ended up hearing it.

but..

adding to it all in my own little way and not making a hullabaloo about it..

4am this morning, I hear a loud few insanely bizarre 'bangs' or 'booms' I have no idea, it woke me up and I was in between sleep/wake as I just cannot sleep, and as I opened my eyes, the window flashed 3-4 times.

That startled me, as I thought something had hit the power lines.. or hopefully, the old bag next door had somehow electrocuted herself while turning on her massive and bloody annoying friggen air con that makes my house vibrate like a bloody cretin at the wee hours because she's a complete tosser who gives no poop about anyone else.

But as I ran outside, .... nothing...

HUH?

odd, reminded me of these things, I swear what I saw and heard was not a simple thing, it woke me up! and was bright enough - where my window is against a brick wall with a slight walk way, the only way such light could flash there is if either it was in the sky, or in the drive way, and nothing was there 10 seconds later, apart from the sound of a suburb of woken dogs hooting at the air.

so... I either woke to a power transformer going bzzzapt zapt zapt zapt with the equivalent number of flashing lights that illuminated my window with the force of a thousend suns... wait, wrong analogy.. with the sunlight of a .. 5 moons, and the sound of the electrical wireing of my suburb being taken down or.... or?

4 hours later we're out of power for 6 hours.

who knows...

all I know is, sitting out the front of my house, old mp4 player in hand, wathching repeats of Black Books was rather a fun way to spend the morning.

still have no idea whatwent on... oh well, must have been haarp or the lhc, or... have we been killed by elenin yet??

I forget these days...

sorry.

edit on 23/9/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: I speeled soem wrods rong. I had to fix them.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I heard that exact same high pitched sound last week too, I was out walking the dog with my husband around 2pm, before we left I could hear something and it was annoying me but I shrugged it off. Only when we got outside did it become louder and I asked him if he could hear it too (incase it was just me) and sure enough he could hear it. We couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from, it sounded like it was in the sky but a little distance away, the only explanation we could think of was that it was something to do with the airbase nearby as the sound seemed to be coming from that direction. If your in Bedford then I'm approximately 25 minutes down the road from your location, I wonder if we heard the same thing? although you heard it at night and we heard it during the day.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Hi OP
This is my thread I made earlier in the year, from a similar experience I had last year some time.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
The noise in your video is similar in pitch to what I heard, although mine was more metallic sounding, SO hard to describe.
I was just wondering where in the South you are, since I am in East Kent, and thought it might be worth keeping track of where these noises are heard
edit on 23-9-2011 by Lulzaroonie because: forgot link

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

That does sound like some sort of transformer malfunction although the possibility that it may have been more than that isn't easy to rule out.
Regardless of the explanation the rather amusing way you told the tale has earned you a star from me

reply to post by Kyazl

It certainly appears to me that we all heard the same thing and if you heard it at 2 PM on Friday, which isn't really clear from your post, then it could suggest that the source of the noise was airborne for almost 12 hours. I'll be the first to admit that this is taking the huge assumption that whatever we heard was a one-off with no evidence to back it up so I'm just throwing it out there as pure speculation & nothing more.
The nearby air base is firmly nudging my belief in the direction that this was man-made, maybe an experimental surveillance craft of some kind but the noise it was making doesn't fit in with that theory no matter how I twist it.
Pursuing a state of non-bafflement is easier said than done

reply to post by Lulzaroonie

That's definitely interesting and it does have some similarities, it could be you were far closer to it than I was. When the noise increases in volume in my second video I can hear the roaring sound that's so clear in yours as an undertone, so to speak.
I'm in Bedford, as I already stated

Besides the source of the sound the other big question I've been asking myself is: whatever the source of the sound it was obviously made by something airborne which spent at least three hours, at a time of day/night when there's not a lot to observe, flying in a circle over a relatively quiet area of Bedford and nobody in their right mind would spend so long on something without some kind of purpose....so what was that purpose?
The question has me completely stumped so I'd love any input on this.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Ah yes, sorry
I'm not always the brightest spark

As you may have seen from my thread, someone said that the noise was caused by Russian scientists drilling beneath the earth, but I too am of the opinion that this noise is airborne. Can't account for the earth shaking that some said they have experienced though...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

No worries, I know how easy it is to miss things when reading through a thread. If I had a penny for every time I've done that I'd be around £5,000 better off

As for the sound being caused by underground drilling that's a theory which I can reject without wasting a second trying to make it fit.

The search for answers continues....

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Microwaved
It certainly appears to me that we all heard the same thing and if you heard it at 2 PM on Friday, which isn't really clear from your post, then it could suggest that the source of the noise was airborne for almost 12 hours. I'll be the first to admit that this is taking the huge assumption that whatever we heard was a one-off with no evidence to back it up so I'm just throwing it out there as pure speculation & nothing more.
The nearby air base is firmly nudging my belief in the direction that this was man-made, maybe an experimental surveillance craft of some kind but the noise it was making doesn't fit in with that theory no matter how I twist it.
Pursuing a state of non-bafflement is easier said than done

Sorry I should have said it was Friday but I don't know about it being airborne for 12 hours, after I picked my daughter up from school I don't recall hearing it (but I wasn't really listening out for it). So the noise would have been from around 12.30/1pm - 3.30/4pm, I think it was probably the airbase, I heard the noise for about 30 minutes on Saturday night around 11pm, that was a rough night for me, hardly any sleep and a very vivid dream! Have you heard it again since?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join