It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unreported Earthquakes off the Coast of Chile Continue

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

lol, ok... And actually there are stations all over New Zealand, but other than IU.SNZO, I can't ever get any of them to come up in GEE, no matter what channels I try.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
True American

Do you know if there are any sites that monitor seismic activity in the Atlantic Ocean near the Mid Atlantic region ?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by iprotectwildlife
True American

Do you know if there are any sites that monitor seismic activity in the Atlantic Ocean near the Mid Atlantic region ?

You know, that's a good question because I have often wanted to monitor the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, but can't find any stations to do it. I know there have been some temporary, special study networks setup to do this, but as with most of those, the station data is only available to the institutions performing the study. But I suppose if you went on a mad rampage of searching, you might find something more on that.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks for the quick response.

I have done several searches in the past that led nowhere but I never considered looking for an institute that may have done studies there.

I will carry on and if I find anything I will pass it your way.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Isn't this along the same fault line albeit up north?

Magnitude mb 4.5
Region OFFSHORE GUATEMALA
Date time 2011-11-10 12:49:58.0 UTC
Location 13.79 N ; 90.51 W
Depth 60 km
Distances 64 km SE Escuintla (pop 103,165 ; local time 06:49:58.2 2011-11-10)
36 km SW Chiquimulilla (pop 12,842 ; local time 06:49:58.2 2011-11-10)
27 km SE Iztapa (pop 4,020 ; local time 06:49:58.2 2011-11-10)

Source parameters not yet reviewed by a seismologist
EMSC

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
Isn't this along the same fault line albeit up north?
Jane

Well not really, two different tectonic plates we are talking about, if one is to discuss plate tectonics at all.

That quake was on the interface of the Cocos and Caribbean Plates, whereas the Chile quakes on this thread are on the interface of the Nazca and South American Plates. So I'd say they are not on the same fault, hope that helps.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Thanks for that.....but they do 'join up' so to speak....so does what you have just said mitigate your other 'jackhammer' thread?
Just asking
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Magnitude mb 5.2
Region ARAUCANIA, CHILE
Date time 2011-11-11 08:08:49.0 UTC
Location 37.94 S ; 72.81 W
Depth 40 km
Distances 66 km SW Los Ángeles (pop 125,430 ; local time 05:08:49.3 2011-11-11)
19 km SW Angol (pop 44,856 ; local time 05:08:49.3 2011-11-11)

Source parameters not yet reviewed by a seismologist

EMSC

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
....so does what you have just said mitigate your other 'jackhammer' thread?

When they said "large quakes," they are talking about 8+ that can do damage to, or weaken other faults at a long distance. But I realize the same principle may apply sometimes with smaller quakes and thus a smaller radius of affected areas.

To give you an example, it takes roughly a 5.8+ or so to reach faintly clear across the Pacific, say from Chile to Japan. In other words, yeah, the seismos in Chile will pick it up faintly. To actually do damage to a fault at that great a distance, it would necessarily need to be a pretty big quake, over 8+ I would think at least.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
every 25 years we have a great earthquake, I think below 5 degrees tremor is very normal here even with a magnitude 6 quake, everything is working normally, but we still have in mind the Valdivia earthquake of 9.5 and 10 minutes long, so is that small earthquakes are not news but just are monitored, We are expecting a big one for the north of our country about mag +8 so we monitored all

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Patto

Yeah, the Peru/Chile border area is looking like a real bad place to be right about now. If not for the potential quake to come, then for that insane inflating volcano in southwest Bolivia, close to that area as well. Far south Chile/Argentina tip could see a bigger quake too, as it's been a while.
edit on Fri Nov 11th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

It's first thing in the morning and I am only on my first brew, so brain not fully fired up yet!

I agree with your reply, but I would like to postulate this with you. Take a lawn mower, the sit on kind would be good. You are trundling along time after time. constant rattling and shaking...just 'vibrations', but there is a nut that has started working its way loose, say under your seat or steering wheel. You don't notice it, until one day you fire up your lawn mower and bam, you fall off your seat or your steering wheel comes off in your hand.
Now take say the constant eq's in Turkey, Christchurch, Japan. All these constant 'little' shakes on fault lines, they radiate out and slowly but surely weaken the fault line, just like a jackhammer does so slowly but surely that area of 'weakness' radiates further and further out. In the same way frakking on fault lines just radiates further and further out. Each time a eq happens the epicentre gets wakened and weakned and the tremors get bigger and bigger.....eventually all the dots join up....I think you get the picture of my analogy...everything is connected.
Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join