It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Novel Innovation Can Brighten Millions of Poor Homes /w Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

As simple as it sounds, a one-liter plastic bottle filled with purified water and some bleach could serve as a light bulb for some of the millions of people who live without electricity. Originally developed by MIT students, the "solar bottle bulb" is now being distributed by the MyShelter Foundation to homes throughout the Philippines. The foundation’s goal is to use this alternative source of daylight to brighten one million homes in the country by 2012.

Source

It brightens up their day, saves them money by not using any electricity on lighting, and generally brightens up their lives both literally and in spirit. This idea could make the everyday life that much better. I don't know how much they save on electricity bills, but I'm sure it does have an impact.
edit on 20/9/11 by Droogie because: title

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
enlightening video

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
thats a bright idea!! i wonder how long before governments stop selling chlorine or remove the chemical that makes the light react because they will loose money.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Bump

Brilliant Find S+F

What an amazing, and cheap recycled form of light.

I am sure the benefits will be seen in Mind body & soul for those who have them fitted.

Please pass on all, share the info support this cause.

Love

Elf

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Thanx for posting OP, this info can go a long way to helping others. Great thread and keep them coming.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf

What an amazing, and cheap recycled form of light.

I agree. It's quite a simple and elegant idea, there should be a prize awarded for things like this. Couldn't be much cheaper either.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

I agree,

I think its the best and most simple solution ive seen in a long time,

Really brightened my day, as well as theirs!

Love

Elf

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
well this was posted agas agaio But a thought just accured to me wile this does work very well in the day ovesly at night it wont .
BUTTTTTT and its a big one why not add a chemical that will adsorb the light and glow in the dark at night.
After all they sell all kinds of glow in the dark junk for kids.
As a matter of fact you could just get some of thous plastic junk toys that glow and add them to the bottol .
with enough of them It would work good

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
what a genius

this man should be awarded a noble prize

thanx for sharing

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by camouflaged
thats a bright idea!! i wonder how long before governments stop selling chlorine or remove the chemical that makes the light react because they will loose money.

There is no chemical that makes the light react the bleach prevents growth of mold in the water you could probably use vinegar too, the water is magnifying the sun that's all it is.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
well this was posted agas agaio But a thought just accured to me wile this does work very well in the day ovesly at night it wont .
BUTTTTTT and its a big one why not add a chemical that will adsorb the light and glow in the dark at night.
After all they sell all kinds of glow in the dark junk for kids.
As a matter of fact you could just get some of thous plastic junk toys that glow and add them to the bottol .
with enough of them It would work good

I think it may cloud the water and remove the nature of the magnification that makes the light bright in the day and be pretty useless at night as well.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Wow, this is truly amazing. Hopefully this catches on in poor communities in the U.S. It's nice to see one of these videos that actually has good music in the background. Explosions in the Sky FTW.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

the coolest innovations come from oppression not talking smack just inspiring think about all you could do if you had nothing else to do. Side note peolpe in prisons come up with very interseting things. I now some one who made a rope out of toilet paper also someone else that made numbchucks using plastic bags and sand no mater what TPTB do to keep people down are minds are always on

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plugged
Wow, this is truly amazing.

Really? It only works during the day, right? That's not very practical, useful or innovative. I'm not getting all the lavish praise for it. Why not just cut holes in the roof and fill them with empty plastic bottles?

You guys are falling for feel good BS.
edit on 20-9-2011 by Gannicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gannicus

Originally posted by Plugged
Wow, this is truly amazing.

Really? It only works during the day, right? That's not very practical, useful or innovative. I'm not getting all the lavish praise for it. Why not just cut holes in the roof and fill them with empty plastic bottles?

You guys are falling for feel good BS.

Perhaps you live in the desert and never heard of rain? Generally, people use roofs to keep from getting wet particularly in tropical regions with RAINY seasons.

This is a fine example of human ingenuity. What the elite cannot comprehend is the human capacity to see the light. Praise the Lord. I saw the light.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333

Perhaps you live in the desert and never heard of rain? Generally, people use roofs to keep from getting wet particularly in tropical regions with RAINY seasons.

Are you saying the hole they cut for this bottle isn't sealed off?

This is a fine example of human ingenuity.

Look man, I'm all for human innovation and helping people all over the world with science, but this is NOT a "fine" example of human ingenuity. It's just cutting a hole in a roof and putting a plastic bottle filled with liquid in the hole.

I just thought of something else. It seems to me that all this thing does is add a likely roof malfunction to their problems during monsoon season. It just seems like there are better ways of going about lighting a dark room during the day.

What the hell do I know though?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Yes, this is a good idea. It's ideas like this that need to be created for everything you need electricity for. Cheap DIY Home energy on all levels is what we need.

I'd like to see a better video and comparison to using the bleach and water to just using an empty bottle. How much brighter is it really?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gannicus

I wasn't going to say anything, but it seems rather idiotic. really? it took them this long to realize putting a hole in the roof will allow sunshine into their home??

as for the bottle.... might as well get a bunch together, cut and flaten them, then install large plastic panels on the roof.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
reply to post by Gannicus

really? it took them this long to realize putting a hole in the roof will allow sunshine into their home??

That's always easy to say when a fairly easy, but clever idea like this comes up. I dislike your "Oh, I could easily have thought of that!" attitude, well then, why didn't you?
edit on 21/9/11 by Droogie because: (no reason given)

top topics

join