It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't meditate any more!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

I'm getting increasingly frustrated lately. I can't seem to even get passed the initial stages of meditation at the moment. I either can't seem to quiten my mind or i'm just too tired. I got into meditation in a big way about a year ago and up until about 2/3 months ago i was really getting somewhere, and felt i was one step away from astrally projecting. Or maybe not, but it was certainly an interesting experience almost every time i meditated.

Has anyone had a similar experience and perhaps has some tips on how to get passed this?

I know there are many topics that are far more deserving of your time on here guys but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Social Producer

Explanation: Flagged!

Personal Disclosure: Welcome! OL is sure a mod will be along soon to help out with an informative post etc. I also recommend utilizing the green chat voyuer function on the ATS tool bar to the bottom of most ATS webpages [aka the ribbon]! It will enable you to watch who and what is being posted in chat but unfortunately you wont be able to join or chat back until your post count reaches 200 posts or so.

Peace and much love!

Sincerely OL [OmegaLogos]

P.S. I did several styles of meditation and I can tell you that it's not about results .. its about DEDICATION to just doing it regardless of what the outcome is. That is the ultimate focus! It is time spent in service to your self and your god ok.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I drink. But hey, that's just me.

Maybe try another location?

Welcome to ATS.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
From my experience there could be one of the two reasons:

1. You are very close to make a breakthrough.
2. Something in your meditation is conflicting with your subconscious, there is a conflict going on.

Either way, keep doing it regularly, even if it's mechanical. Repeat the words or the phases of the meditation like a parrot, if you have to. And pay attention what issues are coming up during your tries. In the end it will work out by itself: either you'll make that breakthrough, or will find out what is keeping you tied.

You are at a crossroad, and is very important not to stop. If you get through this, there will be a whole new level of meditation and insight.

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Dear Soul Person,

The mind has been pulling us down for many many lifetimes (centuries, and even millinnea). The mind has gained tremendous stength along the way and the pure soul has been covered by layer upon layer during every lifetime. Its light always diminishing. The most difficult task that the human specie faces is to still the mind and go through the eye of the needle. The mind will play every trick in the book to keep you from 'lift-off' and going within and seeing the inner Light. Remember, we have been getting ourselves deeper and deeper imprisoned for extemely long, and therefore must be patient and persistant with our meditation to undo all those chains and vails.

There comes a level where the mind comes under your total controll. The mind is often described to have the character of a dog. When untamed, it can be your worst enemy. But when brought to your side, tamed, it is man's best friend.

We all go through dry periods when doing meditation. Believe me, they absolutely do pass. But my experience is: do not wait for it to pass! It is as if though we have to go through these dry periods from time to time. If you decide to stop meditating until you start experiencing again, it will never happen. If I may use a methaphor: it is a bit like walking through a landscape, sometimes you come across a dry patch where nothing grows. You will not suddenly wake up and find yourself in a flowery pasture again if you just sit and wait, even if you have seen flowery pastures before, because you have to walk through the dry patch first.

As your attention increases and your journey advances these dry spells occur less and less.

Are you initiated onto a path?

Personally I think your post truly touches on the most valueble subject in the entire creation. Our true purpose on this earth is spiritual growth and that should be our highest priority. Nothing else comes close to it in importance or value. So, thanxxxxx for making my day.

I am also going through a very difficult dry patch at the moment and (just like you, I'm sure) yearn for the state of Grace again. Just keep going, brother or sister! Like in Finding Nimo when Dory said: Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!!

Ps: I do sometimes wonder if there are not vibes these damn cell towers send out to disturb our inner calm. A form of mind controll. Like blocking the way or something. I really really feel as if there may be some possibility in that. But I have never dared to air this view, already 80 percent of the people in this ox-waegon town finds me a space-cadette!

Dancing as fast as I can!

Wishing you everything that is
True
Kind
Necesarry.

Buddha said to his desciples when asked what priciples will help to obtain spiritual growth. He said we should ask ourselves before speaking, acting and even thinking if what we are about to say, do or think answers yes to all there these things: is it true, is it kind, and is it necessary. If you have one no, don't!

Excuse my spelling. not my strong point.

Love and Light to you!
A sister.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

The exciting "neat" stuff in meditation/prayer-- the kind that has those "Wow!" moments ...

Those are common for many when they first begin, and often become rarer as the person matures in the practice and discipline. Many abandon the practice when that happens.

However, the theory goes, the "Wow" moments are so that the person realizes the benefit-- can connect it to the new activity of the prayer/meditation-- yet they are not the goal. Far more subtle and meaningful benefits will come, but not immediately recognized... IF, if one continues.

Transcendence is a long, hard road to travel, and the one of the few guideposts which seems to be common is the satisfying feeling and immediate effect of the discipline goes away when it is the feeling which becomes the goal. Everyone I know goes through that-- and very few continue when it goes away. But those who do continue, their lives become filled with "Wow!" moments that others notice even when the person doing it does not.

I was taught that twenty years ago, and it seems to fit.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I drink. But hey, that's just me.

Maybe try another location?

Welcome to ATS.

Hey Beezzer,

I tend not to drink very often nowadays but i do smoke too much!

I've thought about meditating in my studio but i the urge to pick up a guitar would probably be too much

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteHat
From my experience there could be one of the two reasons:

1. You are very close to make a breakthrough.
2. Something in your meditation is conflicting with your subconscious, there is a conflict going on.

Either way, keep doing it regularly, even if it's mechanical. Repeat the words or the phases of the meditation like a parrot, if you have to. And pay attention what issues are coming up during your tries. In the end it will work out by itself: either you'll make that breakthrough, or will find out what is keeping you tied.

You are at a crossroad, and is very important not to stop. If you get through this, there will be a whole new level of meditation and insight.

Good luck.

Hi Whitehat

I think both of those is probably true! Perhaps i might have been trying to force the issue too much.
I'm going to get right back into it and see where it takes me.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnlimitedSky
Dear Soul Person,

The mind has been pulling us down for many many lifetimes (centuries, and even millinnea). The mind has gained tremendous stength along the way and the pure soul has been covered by layer upon layer during every lifetime. Its light always diminishing. The most difficult task that the human specie faces is to still the mind and go through the eye of the needle. The mind will play every trick in the book to keep you from 'lift-off' and going within and seeing the inner Light. Remember, we have been getting ourselves deeper and deeper imprisoned for extemely long, and therefore must be patient and persistant with our meditation to undo all those chains and vails.

There comes a level where the mind comes under your total controll. The mind is often described to have the character of a dog. When untamed, it can be your worst enemy. But when brought to your side, tamed, it is man's best friend.

We all go through dry periods when doing meditation. Believe me, they absolutely do pass. But my experience is: do not wait for it to pass! It is as if though we have to go through these dry periods from time to time. If you decide to stop meditating until you start experiencing again, it will never happen. If I may use a methaphor: it is a bit like walking through a landscape, sometimes you come across a dry patch where nothing grows. You will not suddenly wake up and find yourself in a flowery pasture again if you just sit and wait, even if you have seen flowery pastures before, because you have to walk through the dry patch first.

As your attention increases and your journey advances these dry spells occur less and less.

Are you initiated onto a path?

Personally I think your post truly touches on the most valueble subject in the entire creation. Our true purpose on this earth is spiritual growth and that should be our highest priority. Nothing else comes close to it in importance or value. So, thanxxxxx for making my day.

I am also going through a very difficult dry patch at the moment and (just like you, I'm sure) yearn for the state of Grace again. Just keep going, brother or sister! Like in Finding Nimo when Dory said: Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!!

Ps: I do sometimes wonder if there are not vibes these damn cell towers send out to disturb our inner calm. A form of mind controll. Like blocking the way or something. I really really feel as if there may be some possibility in that. But I have never dared to air this view, already 80 percent of the people in this ox-waegon town finds me a space-cadette!

Dancing as fast as I can!

Wishing you everything that is
True
Kind
Necesarry.

Buddha said to his desciples when asked what priciples will help to obtain spiritual growth. He said we should ask ourselves before speaking, acting and even thinking if what we are about to say, do or think answers yes to all there these things: is it true, is it kind, and is it necessary. If you have one no, don't!

Excuse my spelling. not my strong point.

Love and Light to you!
A sister.

Hello unlimitedsky,

Thank you for your insight into this matter. I've came to quite similar conclusions in my quest for knowledge, peace, truth, whatever the last few years.

I reckon i was well on the path of at least introducing myself to my mind. Yeah i know that sounds a bit odd.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by initiated onto a path.

If i've made your day in any way i am very pleased to have done so.

Those damn towers indeed! It wouldn't surprise me at all if that was the case. Just another tool for dumbing everyone down.

Take care

SP

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Sometimes, having an expectation of what you want from a meditation can stand in the way as a barrier. You've been at it a while, and you've had results which you consider to be good ones. You expect similar results now. However, the purpose of meditating isn't to achieve xyz result, it is to meditate, pure and simple. There may be things that you're supposed to do given different meditations, but the purpose of the meditation isn't to do those things... it is still to just meditate. The process is the meditation. So have no expectations for it other than that you will meditate. Leave yourself open to any and all possibilities, by merely accepting whatever happens as what happens.

Originally posted by Social Producer

I've thought about meditating in my studio but i the urge to pick up a guitar would probably be too much

Do a quick google of "music as meditation" (in quotes or all you'll get is meditation music...) and you might not think that's such a bad idea. My friend has used his musical endeavors as a means of meditation for years, and so have a lot of other musicians. Nothing wrong with giving it a shot, or learning a new form of meditation.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
What a coincidence!

I just got done with another failed meditation and went to google and typed in "i can't meditate". While waiting for the results to load, multitasking, I clicked on my ATS to see what the latest philosophy and metaphysics threads were. Then I saw this thread.

I can't meditate either. I used to be very good at meditating as well, but that was months ago. I try to meditate daily, and its been probably 8 months since I've been successful.

Everytime I meditate, or try to, I often feel like my head is being weighed down heavily, and then I get sort of an emotional detachment from my life. I see these strange morphing light forms in my peripheral vision that I don't understand.

Back when I was successful at meditation, I had a few instances of "seeing" what I only know to describe as higher dimensional objects.

One time an alien came into my room and did something to me. I have no idea what he did, but it was about that time that I stopped being successful. I think maybe the alien did something to mess up my meditation abilities. Maybe not. Idk.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Don't give up. I used challenging times in my meditational journey a number of different ways - sometimes to explore other methods I was drawn to, and sometimes to practice patience and dedication in my approach. I can only tell you that the rewards are more than worth it.

I agree with a previous reply - this can sometimes occur when you are reaching a threshold of new possibilities. Even just the time spent "trying" as you say you are doing is beneficial in many ways.

Good luck and good journey.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Well remember to start small. I've never personally lost interest in meditation, but sometimes I have to remember the basics and it takes a while to get revved up. Eliminate self-doubt, that is the barrier. Your self is your only guide, so if you are filled with self-doubt you will not be able to use your innate knowledge. Remember that deep down YOU KNOW, on a subconscious level the truth is already there, all you need to do is tap into it on a conscious level.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Peace be with you Social Producer.
What you have explained also happened to me. I went from full ego and materialism to a 180-degree change into spirituality. I progressed very rapidly in my spiritual practices and insights. Then I got distracted, and loss my focus. I found it hard to meditate, quiet my mind, or even do relaxation meditation. So I put spirituality on the back shelf for a couple of years. A couple years later I felt a call for me to once again peruse spiritual practices. The second time around, I progressed more rapidly and made huge advances as compared to before.

I think my mind, body, and spirit needed a rest... needed time to acclimate... needed time to process and truly understand my progress before I could progress further. Take your time and do not force meditation or progress, it must come effortlessly. If you are trying too hard... you are trying too hard.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
There are many ways to awaken but meditation is one of the safest and surest ways to achieve it. After its initial "euphoric" stages the going gets tougher. All true spiritual paths take dedication and discipline on a daily basis. It is a long road, upon which many loose faith, do not loose faith in your meditation it is working even through the stages when it appears it is not. Its all about keeping your faith.

Your post stands as a reminder to us all that this journey does not happen over night and that we must keep at it.

The mind is like the surface of a stormy ocean . An ocean in which we must dive deeper and deeper beyond the turbulant surface to reach the calmness below upon which sits our pearl of freedom.

Keep meditating and give no thoughts to this stage you are at, meditate with no concern for the lack of results you think you are not getting, then suddenly one day you will see you have actually gone a great distance on your path.

You are experiencing what many experience, it is a stage many give up at, but just beyond it is the next step. Many dont realise this and through lack of faith, dedication and effort they give up. Take a leap of faith and stick at it.
edit on 20-9-2011 by Stillness because: addition

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Hello again,

I would just like to say a huge thank you to everyone that has contributed to this wee thread of mine.
There has been a lot of great advice for me to take on board and i'm more determined than ever to get past this blip on my journey.

Having read my original post again i must say that i perhaps gave the impression i was meditating to achieve a certain goal, such as astral projection, past life regression etc. That is not the case at all, there's a bit more depth to my reasons for meditating. It all started off with me trying to find a way of healing the chronic fatigue i have had for the last four years but has since developed into a great desire to connect with ... i'm struggling for the word here, the universe...life...love...meaning. I'm sure you all know what i'm trying to say.

Regarding meditating whilst playing music. I've never tried it myself but i most certainly have gone into an almost trance like state at times whilst playing say a new riff or chord progression. I can snap out of it and look at the clock and i've been playing the same thing over and over for an hour or more!! Now that i think about it, i'm not really aware of any conscious thought during that time.

My plan now is relax, let it flow... or not, but whatever keep at it.

Cheers

SP

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I would say op and smith change you meditation type.

Go in for walking mediataion as first taught by the buddha,

Just walk barefoot grass under feet, slowly be in present become more and more aware of each slow step count them to 21 until absorbed and no distractions.

Also if tired in sitting or relaxed meditation count your breath do a vispanna meditation, take the breath as your focus, and OPEN your eyes not closed, dont stare just look focus on spot about 2-3 ft just below your nose at eye level, relax the eyes, let them close and blink, when you can honestly get to 21 with no distraction, illusions, past, future, judging, comparing etc just being aware on just your breath for 21 counts, honestly then you will see real progress.

Many think its easy, if your honest about being just present no this or that and keep bgoing back to 1 when slip or get distracted... well most take at least six months to get there (true absorbed experience) some years.

This will wake you up and stop the pretend illusions you see, and think are signs of progress.

Real progress in meditation is experienced when not meditatating in things like higher sensory accuity, a feeling of rising joy and love, coincidenses and also pyschic phenomia. Most noticabily higher energy levels and better memory and concentration, and health.

Many think they are making progress but just turning their ignorance from the outside to the inside. One illusion to another.

Once you have tasted this true meditation you never go back, never want to cease never get bored with it, in fact there is real dangers of addiction and therefore no further progress, look into the "formless realms" as a place of reincarnation to describe this.

OP no alien came to your room besides what your mind created, the lights are just fantasies, and neurons firing off in your visual cortex esp if eyes closed.

As you have experience and are settling your mind, take some advice dont learn any Bad Habits, do the oldest and best meditation as I point out above, honestly for 10- 20 minutes twice a day, morning and evening I promise you could post on here in six months and have a totally differant experience, from anything youve had so far, and of depth and reality not fleeting and not real.

Love

Elf

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

if it were me in this situation i'd try intercourse or mother nature to sooth my nerves. better yet, a combination of the two. i wish you the best in overcoming your mental block.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Social Producer

It all started off with me trying to find a way of healing the chronic fatigue i have had for the last four years but has since developed into a great desire to connect with ... i'm struggling for the word here, the universe...life...love...meaning. I'm sure you all know what i'm trying to say.

It is also an excellent idea to affirm to yourself just as you start to meditate your reasons for doing it. This should be done each time as it helps you remember why your meditating and keeps you strongly on your path. Your reasons above for wishing to meditate are very good ones, I wish you well on your path.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
There are times for meditating,
and times for acting.
You may be needing to ground yoruself right now and be more active, more physical.
As your mind expands, you need to give it stages of being able to integrate your body and your physical being in action.
Focus on being here and now for a while and see if meditation calls you back later.

Or try doing activity and entering the same state at the same time!
I went through a period of being guided to go on long walks, while I let my consciousness enter the same silent state. It turned out to be an extremely valuable skill that leads to other breakthroughs....

Find an area where there are not people, in nature, where you can walk for at least an hour, and see if you can't empty the mind of all thought while you walk. (you don't really want to come across others, it will make you self conscious and make it impossible).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join