It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

King Crabs invade Antarctica

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com

King crabs — three-feet-wide red monsters that devour everything in their path — have invaded Antarctica. While it sounds a little like a horror movie, it's actual a large scale global warming problem. According to the New Scientist, three years ago, scientists had predicted that this would happen, but they believed the earth would have warmed to this degree in the next 100 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The article goes on to explain how this hasn't been able to happen for millions of years due to the cold between the continental shelves...

No matter where you sit on the debate... this is a very interesting occurrence and a huge milestone in our history... one that hasn't happened in millions of years....

So what does this indicate if anything?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

100 years ahead of schedule? ...Sounds like things are heating up.

S&F&
Great find.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
soo, i think the most important question here is " is this going to make them more or less delicious?" how will this effect prices per pound?!

inquiring minds must know!!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
There was a thread on this already. I'll try and find the link but I think global warming was ruled out. Here we are: Previous thread
edit on 17-9-2011 by TheWorldSpins because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
You mean that we can finally stop overfishing the Bering Sea and start fishing for them in Argentina's shores? Them are good eats!

My question is what is the King Crab killing off to run around in these waters? If it's not affecting other populations in a negative manner, it's another, "So what?" moment.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Hopefully it is less dangerous to fish for them there.

Man the boats, I wan't cheap crab on my dinner plate.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

King crabs — three-feet-wide red monsters that devour everything in their path — have invaded Antarctica. While it sounds a little like a horror movie, it's actual a large scale global warming problem. According to the New Scientist, three years ago, scientists had predicted that this would happen, but they believed the earth would have warmed to this degree in the next 100 years.

Well let's get out the crabber boats man....they are good eats,,,, and usually quite expensive. I'll be looking for their price to drop soon when they allow more harvesting to protect the ecology of the area!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I thought global warming was a hoax any ways climate change is real imo and with warming near the north pole it will cause the gulf stream to speed up, warmer water faster current and we will see a mini ice age in norther Europe in our life time im predicting. this is no small thing we are seeing.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Hopefully it is less dangerous to fish for them there.

Man the boats, I wan't cheap crab on my dinner plate.

See now there's something we can agree on!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
When I was a kid in the 70's, Giesha used to sell these crabs canned at about a buck. Then in the early 80's these crabs in the can started going up to $4 or 5$. Then..... about 1990, they kept the crab tins in the back room next to the manager because they started to go over $10 a can, and people were stealing them off the shelves.

This is a great scenario of what has been going on. Originally, in 1995, Readers Digest did an article on why King Crab was becoming so expensive, and their answer was that the crab fishermen were dropping (the new) large metal traps over their spawning grounds and crushing the spawn (in restrospect, pure BS) , and they said that that was why the catch totals were down.

As it really turns out these creatures need cold cold cold. And guess what? They have migrated to as cold a place as they can find..... Now that we know where they are, they have no where else to go. ... So ..

Say good bye to these succulent creatures, it is just another example of Self Righteous humans taking out a species
and not giving a flying # about the future; For people that use them as food , or more importantly, for the crabs themselves for just being able to stay on this earth.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by fireysnowman29

Hmm.. well if crab fishermen follow the crabs, I would guess prices will sky rocket.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I for oone would like to see some scientific investigations in the direction of a stellar wide phenom causing the warming.
Earths solar system has been passing through a "cloud of very active particles" in space.
This may be affecting everything, the planets the sun etc.
If one raises the activity of mollecules one gets heat.
If the field which we are passing through can make subtle influences on the quantum level, eventually we see the result in macro scale.....

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
now red lobster is going to become a fast food joint.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Hmm, interesting. Maybe they simply got tired of being caught and eaten, so they decided collectively to migrate to a sparsely-populated area. IMO that's just as likely as global warming. But hey, I could be wrong.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

My question is what is the King Crab killing off to run around in these waters? If it's not affecting other populations in a negative manner, it's another, "So what?" moment.

It is usually a good idea to read the linked articles before commenting.

That way you don't look the cynical fool.

Their impact on the environment is reported to be catastrophic. They are decimating the usual inhabitants of the area. Sooo .....there.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
One word: "Japan."

That's why the crabs are invading. And other species such as sharks and seals. The animals are seeking refuge.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I can take care of this.

Send me up with butter and I can resolve this issue.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by HunkaHunka

100 years ahead of schedule? ...Sounds like things are heating up.

S&F&
Great find.

In fact, invasives are moving northward at a faster rate than was predicted. It's a real headache for people at nature preserves -- we've got Sesbane and several other new ones (in addition to the usual headaches of privet and johnson grass) that are going to have to be dealt with. Fire ants, too, are moving north into areas that were formerly too cold for them.

(just one of many stories on this)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Great link.
Thanks.

...So the models were too conservative? Is that the message here?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join