It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Militarization of Our Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This film describes the changes in law enforcement over the last few decades. From the description:

*Note: This is not a general blanket statement about police. We know there are many more decent, hard-working police officers than not and we respect you and what you do.

It cites the paper Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids in America, which describes that in 1997 alone, the Pentagon handed out 1.2 pieces of military equipment to local law enforcement. From page 12:

The National Journal reports that between January 1997 and October 1999, the agency handled 3.4 million orders of Pentagon equipment from over 11,000 domestic police agencies in all 50 states.33 By December 2005, the number was up to 17,000.34 The purchase value of the equipment comes to more than $727 million.35 The National Journal reported that included in the bounty were 253 aircraft (including six- and sevenpassenger airplanes, and UH-60 Blackhawk and UH-1 Huey helicopters), 7,856 M-16 rifles, 181 grenade launchers, 8,131 bulletproof helmets, and 1,161 pairs of night-vision goggles.36

As an example, Long Range Acoustic Devices (LRAD) were used in New York during the 2004 Republican National Convention. They were used for "crowd-control compliance" and to "influence behavior". From the Wikipedia page on LRADs:

LRAD systems are used by maritime, law enforcement, military and commercial security companies to send instructions and warnings over distances, and to force compliance.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I hear and see what you are saying.

When I was younger there were a number of riots that kicked off in the U.K. The majority of these were due to inter racial tensions. The Police would enter areas and behave in such a way as to intimidate the locals and then things would kick off.

All the while we were being fed B.S by the MSM and the indigious folk would blame all the ills on immigration etc etc...

Eventually I had the opportunity to work and live within these communities and to see the heavy handidness of the Police was a real eye opener. However, I also remember the times when the Police decided to get heavy they were dressed in their usual uniform. Okay they would depoly large perpspex shields, but they would not be armoured , like today's force.

All we see today is Officer's armoured and dressed in Black from Head to Toe.

This is reminiscent of the S.S in Nazi Germany, the exact same forces my grandparents fought to preserve our democracy.

So to see this thread and the way in which our finest 'preseve and protect' react to and behave to todays problems really rams home how they have become militarised.

Thanks for another thoughtful and provoking thread.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

This is reminiscent of the S.S in Nazi Germany, the exact same forces my grandparents fought to preserve our democracy.
I agree, except they just have better technology/weaponry.

Waffen SS: images.wikia.com...

Miami PD: www.prisonplanet.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I love your threads, Tupac. Keep telling the truth.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Great. At last. Militarize the police, and deputize the citizens.That'd do it!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Well, I suppose if the US insist on allowing the circulation of firearms, you have to expect the police to be similarly armed to the teeth. I would expect them to use all resources available to counter criminality and to protect themselves and the public. It's probably no fun being shot at with a uzi by some doped nutjob with a bad attitude.

Oh know that everyone rants and raves about the US, UK, France and other liberal democracies turning into police states, but where's the evidence? In your own words without resorting to a YouTube vid of some out-of-line police officer tazering a 106 year old. That's not a police state, that's a policeman out of control.

Regards

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Well, I suppose if the US insist on allowing the circulation of firearms, you have to expect the police to be similarly armed to the teeth. I would expect them to use all resources available to counter criminality and to protect themselves and the public. It's probably no fun being shot at with a uzi by some doped nutjob with a bad attitude.
As far as I know automatic weapons aren't available to the public. Just because the occasional thug can have some illegal weapon doesn't mean that every single police station needs dozens of M-16s or whatever other technology they have.

Oh know that everyone rants and raves about the US, UK, France and other liberal democracies turning into police states, but where's the evidence? In your own words without resorting to a YouTube vid of some out-of-line police officer tazering a 106 year old. That's not a police state, that's a policeman out of control.
Look in the video bro, there law enforcement system is turning into an at-home military that's used against the citizens.

The definition of police-state:

A nation in which the police, especially a secret police, summarily suppresses any social, economic, or political act that conflicts with governmental policy.
Secret police, well there are law enforcement officers who shield their identity either by wearing masks and not wearing a badge, or just refusing to give their badge number to a citizen who requests it. So if they do something wrong it'll be harder to hold them accountable.

What about the example of armed riot police raiding a Michigan school without informing the students, or how about the South Carolina school that was raided by armed police? How about Waco, Texas? Or what about random checkpoints? What about free-speech zones? Or just the overall increase in military weaponry in the hands of police officers?

We're definitely on our way to a police state, in fact I think it can be argued that we are already in one based on some of the above things.

edit on 17-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Good information and links, same here in Canada but no blackhawks yet :-)
I am 50 ish here so in my younger days I remember all the police were wearing blue uniforms with red stripes down the legs.
Black dress shoes, and always wore their hat too.
Now its bullet proof vests, black army boots, no hat an they have a don't even question me attitude now.
It used to be here if they caught you egging cars they would slap you around about then take you home and tell your parents to do it again.
Now you get Zapped, thrown in jail and you go to court....that is if they don't Zapp you to an early death.
I guess what I am trying to say is that we have gone from Barney Fife to Rambo in a mere few years here.
To Shak, S&F
Regards,Iwinder

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Recently here in Texas, a few hours from me in Houston the police have now purchased drones with money from a homeland security grant. This is unnerving to say the least, I really didn't think I would need to incorporate this reality into my world view. The feeling of mistrust is based not on the police, but that their use in military zones makes me uncomfortable as a tactic at all.

new topics

top topics

join