It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

planet with double sunset found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

A planet orbiting two suns - the first confirmed alien world of its kind - has been found by Nasa's Kepler telescope, the US space agency announced. It may resemble the planet Tatooine from the film Star Wars, but scientists say Luke Skywalker, or anyone at all, is unlikely to be living there. Named Kepler-16b, it is thought to be an uninhabitable cold gas giant, like Saturn. The newly detected body lies some 200 light years from Earth. Though there have been hints in the past that planets circling double stars might exist - "circumbinary planets", as they are known - scientists say this is the first confirmation. It means when the day ends on Kepler-16b, there is a double sunset, they say.

this reminds me of a movie... anyone guess what movie i'm thinking about??

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
lol considering it is said in your quote...im thinking "star wars"...this has been posted, figured i'd let you know

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Newz2387

i appreciate it, guess my search didn't work out so well... thanks!

and no, it isn't star wars... i was hoping someone could tell me though, because it's buried in my head, and i don't think it's star wars... lol, watch it be star wars! haha! sometimes it's fun being silly, i'm sitting here talking about a movie that i can't remember, asking other's if they can remember for me, and telling myself it's not star wars is it?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
We too have a double sunset. Only the one due to the dwarf star happens just once in each several thousand years and makes a system reload

edit on 16-9-2011 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

haha, yea when nibiru fly's past like a winged god, he'll quickly turn us off and on, planet earth must run on windows, so unstable.

great find OP, i'd love to see the double sun set on a big exoplanet, hope they find one

edit on 16-9-2011 by Lagrimas because: spelling

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Oh man, they just have to name Tattooine....I know, I know, I'm really sad.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Nah, triple sunsets are much cooler: www.space.com...

Try to guess the movie

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by moebius
Nah, triple sunsets are much cooler: www.space.com...

Try to guess the movie

Contact?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by schitzoandro

I think the movie you're thinking of could be Pitch Black.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by koopatroopa

that's it!!! you get a wonderful shiny new star for digging deep in my brain for me!!

top topics

join