It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another weird light effect in the sky!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Here is another video of some strange lights in the sky:

It looks like a weird reflection of sunlight from within the clouds, this is not typical of a sunset as the sun is still too high in the sky.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Maybe its just the sun reflecting off the cloud particles? Im not a weather expert but just my opinion.
Anyways, interesting to say the least. Star for you, lets see what others think.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Chemclouds, aluminum.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
That's sun dogs.

Sun dogs

I saw sun dog in May or June. That was awesome.
edit on 16-9-2011 by whiteblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Looks like a partial sun bow. I've seen quite a few of them up here in the NW, during the wet seasons.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteblack

thats no sun dog

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
listverse.com...

It may not be a sundog perse but it is a natural phenomenon that I have seen here in Ca a lot. I have also seen multiple rainbows especially near waterfalls and clear sky rainfall, cross rainbows all over the country, ball lightning around the iron slag fields in Nv, pillar lightining in the dunes south of the Sangre de cristo range in CO, solid lighting in the deserts around Az, and a multitude of other natural phenomenon

www.mixbook.com...

This isnt the exact book ill keep looking however there is a fair collection of other wild natural effects our planet can produce

Found it but no public links are available just "you buy now!" links... sigh anyway it is titled

The Field Guide to Natural Phenomena

The Secret World of Optical, Atmospheric and Celestial Wonders
by Keith Heidorn, PhD
ISBN 1554077079
edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Yes, it is.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Why wouldn't it be a sun dog?

I agree with whiteblack.

I often spend time observing/photographing atmospheric phenomena, and I see sun dogs all the time. Only the day before yesterday I photographed one that closely resembles the sun dog in the OP's video.

Like so many other phenomena, no two sun dogs are exactly the same, and sometimes the difference is more obvious than the similarities, at least to the un-trained eye.

Here's another shot taken during the same display.

Note how different the dog above looks compared to the first image. Both images were taken just a few minutes apart. How a sun dog looks depends on the clouds, and they are constantly changing and evolving.

Also note how the colours of the dog go from red on the left, through to yellow and finally white on the right, just like the dog in the OP's video. This is typical for right-hand sun dog. Sun dogs to the left of the sun always have the colours in reverse.

Here's a wide-angle shot taken by my partner during the same display.

As you can see, the sun dog is to the right of, and more or less level with the sun, just like the dog in the OP's video.

You might also notice the red (in this case) part of the dog extends upwards and downwards from the dog, That is actually a small part/fragment of the 22º halo, and it can sometimes give the dog a vertically stretched out appearance, making it look less like the classic "tear drop" shape that sun dogs often take.

So it's in the right place, it has the right colors, the clouds present at the time appear to be suitable candidates for generating sun dogs (not too thick or thin), so I ask again, why wouldn't it be a sun dog?

edit on 16-9-2011 by C.H.U.D. because: fixed broken link & fixed typos

new topics

top topics

join