It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The way it should be

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
We live in a society where we are not happy. We live in a society where we believe it is our right, to tell people how to live their lives. We live in a society where we are constantly told we are all the same. We live in a society where the only true property we own, is our body.

Every day i painfully read the local paper or articles on the web, taking in all the hypocrisy, fear mongering, biased opinions, religious sex abuse and suppression, financial problems, climate problems, social problems, murder and crime. This is not okay, when did this become acceptable?

Here in Australia, the average person knows just how messed up our society is. But they don't care, they acknowledge it and just shrug it off; "oh well, what can we do?". Over the decades our self worth has been ground down to nothing more then tiny egos, all clawing at the social, financial and materialistic issues, trying to change everything in way that suits them.

But i ask you, who are you to tell anyone else how to live. I believe the majority of social issues we are facing currently could be quickly changed if everyone only worried about themselves rather then spending all their time and emotion trying to change others.

I believe personal liberties are the most important thing in life, as this concept is the only thing that makes us free beings.

It is your birth right to:
Believe in anything you want without being suppressed or restricted
Say whatever you want without being suppressed or restricted
Wear whatever you want without being suppressed or restricted
Put whatever you want into your own body
Remove whatever you want from your own body
Chemically alter your own body in anyway you wish
Physically change whatever you want of your own body

What right do you have to prevent someone from these birth rights?
This small (and by no means complete) list show us that the most simple of freedoms are, most the time, the hardest to attain.

It is our duty, hell, our intelligent obligation to understand we are NOT all the same, we are not one people. We are a collection of MANY BILLIONS of intelligent, living organisms. We will NOT and CANNOT be a single entity that all believes, acts, speaks and thinks the same.

My simple philosophy is that you should be allowed to do whatever you want, so long as it does not affect another living organism negatively. Intent is so important in life, and unfortunately most people have the intent on forcing others to change in order to suit themselves.

I understand that if everyone was given these types of freedoms, we could be in for quite a chaotic time. I understand the reason for laws such as drug control, prevention of euthanasia or abortion and that they are in place for a reason, either to protect the public or protect the 'miracle of life' in one way or another.

However, i should be allowed to overdose on heroin and ruin my life if i want, I should be able to end my life peacefully if i want. I should be allowed do ANYTHING no matter how painful or dangerous it is to myself, SO LONG AS it does not affect anyone else in a negative or hurtful manner.

I do believe though we still need a system of law and order, however it needs to be completely redone in order to accommodate peoples freedom of choice. For example, if choose to consume a large quantity of drugs and choose to drive a vehicle, that automatically puts me in a position where i have the potential for hurting another person in one form another. Now what the problem here is not the fact that i have done drugs, but the fact i chose to drive, and i should be punished for that. The punishment should be very very great as it was your choice to endanger lives by driving. I believe in eye for an eye, to a certain extent, but obviously it cannot be that simple.

I am not here to endorse drugs, i just find it is the most basic, simplistic example that everyone can relate to as they understand how they can affect others. There is no other way to put it, if you do not believe you have the right to put whatever you want into your own body, you do not believe in personal freedom, it is as simple as that.

The system of law we have now, will not work with the type of society i am describing. As this is a simple philosophy, the law will need to start simple and branch out to accommodate the responsibility each person will have. For example, here in Australia the tobacco industry is being harassed and suppressed. I understand this. I am not a smoker, but if i were i'd be pretty pissed. I have the right to obtain lung cancer if i wish. People claim one of the reasons for drug control is the strain on the health system. But what if, you smoked all your life, got cancer then became hospitalized. Should the community have the pay taxes to support such a person? OF COURSE NOT! If you created such problems for yourself, it is up to YOU to pay for those problems, not the public. The same goes with obesity, lifestyle or occupation. Just wipe your own ass, and if you got no toilet paper left, then you should have thought about that before you decided to eat that giant taco.

Which leads me to my next point. Religion and the law.

Religion has no place within the system of law, absolutely none. If it is against your belief to not have sex before marriage, then by all means, do not have sex before marriage, no one is stopping you. But the moment you try to use your beliefs as a way of controlling others, is the moment you have crossed the line of personal freedoms.

If it as against your belief to use condoms, then don't, if it is against your belief to have an abortion, then don't, if it is against your belief to drive cars, wear pink hats, swear, smoke, laugh, ANYTHING, the list is endless - THEN DON'T DO IT. Just because you believe something, does not mean everyone else does, so why do you think you have the right to make someone else adhere to the dogma or beliefs of yourself or community.

This is the most simplistic of concepts, it should be a simple mutual understanding between two intelligent beings.

Again, i am not here to criticize religion or personal beliefs and i'm going to have to keep saying this because i know there will be people that will think of me as some religious hating drug addict; and even if i was, i have the complete and utter right to be, as long as what i say or do, does not affect someone else.

Now i ask you, do you believe in freedom? Or do you think you have the right to tell everyone else how to live their life? It would seem currently we are all trying to live as one, support one another through taxes (though understandably forced), which seems like a very good thing, but its not working.

I am pro choice, i am a responsible adult. Until the people on Earth decide to become a responsible person and face the consequences of their actions head on, we will never have peace.

Learn to live and love one another without controlling them or making them be more like you. Everyone is different, accept that and live free.

I am very open to any ideas or criticism you may have about this way of life, and i know there will be a lot, especially because the depth of such living cannot be summarized in a forum post. I do not consider myself to be ignorant and i am sure if someone raises a good point about the dangers of freedom - that cannot be fixed in one way or another - then i am more then willing to change.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Many of the examples you list, aren't governments doing them, but people are stating their beliefs. Abortions are legal. But people have the right to speak out and say they want them illegal.

While most of what you say is correct, there are many parts that are hypocritical. You seem to be pushing your beliefs onto others, while at the same time condemning that act. Even your title shows this "The way it should be." That's your opinion of the way it should be. Yet you seem to be offended when other people say how they think things should be.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you do contradict yourself multiple times.

Yeah, our drug laws need to be changed, but heroin and meth are two that should not be under any circumstances.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Many of the examples you list, aren't governments doing them, but people are stating their beliefs. Abortions are legal. But people have the right to speak out and say they want them illegal.

While most of what you say is correct, there are many parts that are hypocritical. You seem to be pushing your beliefs onto others, while at the same time condemning that act. Even your title shows this "The way it should be." That's your opinion of the way it should be. Yet you seem to be offended when other people say how they think things should be.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you do contradict yourself multiple times.

Yeah, our drug laws need to be changed, but heroin and meth are two that should not be under any circumstances.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

We SHOULD be free, right? I don't see how the title is hypocritical in anyway. Every living creature deserves to be free.

The people are more powerful then the government, is it up to the people to understand personal freedoms before the government will allow them.

I am only offended when beliefs restrict me. The things i have mentioned do no impose on any other persons.

I condemn the act of oppression. I am promoting the act of freedom. These are two separate ideologies.

There is no such thing as freedom in moderation.

Also in terms of abortion, you still missed my point. Just because one person doesn't believe its right to have an abortion doesn't meant mean the rest of society should be forced to adhere to that belief.
edit on 14-9-2011 by BeforeTheHangmansNoose because: abortion

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Mr Galt? Is that you? LOL, S&F for a great post. Brace yourself because they will be here soon to derail you, I don't know why saying these thing stirs up so much anger in people. Its almost like they see things like this thread and become enraged because they can't "make you" think like a moocher and sypathize. I feel sorry for my kids because they will never know how free the world used to be before they redefined progress as sacrifice to the greater good... (see my signature)

I hope that this thread actually sparks some intelligent discussion, either way, thank you. This needed to be said

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

How is anyone trying to force anything on you via this thread? If we as a society switched to this philosophy, what exactly would you lose other than ur false sense of entitlement to dictate my life deciscions? You are actually incriminating yourself as a tyrant by making such a statement, is that who you wanna be? a tyrant? or do u feel like u need to be controlled? if so, no one is stopping u from giving ur life choices to someone else, but the cool thing about it is that if u ever come to ur senses, u would be free to go.

its a great plan, but... People in general hate it for reasons unknown

top topics

join