It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamin C & Cholesterol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I read this in a book, can't remember what it was called but that doesn't really matter.

Vitamin C totally eliminates cholesterol and clears the build-up of cholesterol in arteries.

This is the story of how humans developed cholesterol.

Way back, our ancestors suffered from scurvy, a lack of vitamin C. It causes small holes in the collagen protein which is needed for connective tissue, etc. Instead of their bodies developing a way to produce Vitamin C, they developed cholesterol. Cholesterol blocked the small holes in the connective tissue. But the cholesterol also started blocking veins and arteries.

So a lot of people nowadays have high cholesterol and coronary disease is a big killer. The answer/cure. Vitamin C. Why don't you know about this and why isn't it common knowledge? Because the big pharmaceutical companies don't want you to. They want you to keep buying their crappy cholesterol reducing drugs.

If everyone just ate/took the needed amount of Vitamin C everyday, coronary disease would basically be eliminated.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Right on...I'm headed for my car.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Then why can we reduce cholesterol drastically by reducing saturated fats?

Cholesterol serves another purpose entirely. It's critical for EVERY CELL in our bodies. Vitamin D (made by our bodies), hormones like estrogen and testosterone, and bile (made in your liver and stored in gallbladder needed to digest fats and absorb fat soluable vitamins) are all made from cholesterol.

The connection with Vitamin C is that it helps prevent the oxidation of cholesterol, and helps turn blood cholesterol into bile, and reduces cholesterol overall.

Vitamin C can absolutely help reduce cholesterol, but to suggest downing lots of vitamin C is potentially dangerous due to overdoing the vitamin C, as well as keeping people away from medical treatment that they need.

Before you go downing loads of vitamins, try not eating the Big Mac and avoid foods with saturated fat. That's a hell of a lot safer, actually valid, and proven to be effective.

Be careful with posts like this, eh? Sure there may be a conspiracy by big drug companies to keep us away from cures, but a simple change in diet is free, and needs no drugs. You also don't need to purchase hoardes of Vitamin C from *Vitamin Companies* who have a huge profit to reap from nutrition ignorance.

You mentioned the key at the end:

If everyone just -->ate

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Last year, while shopping in London Drugs, I came across a tablet of vitamin C that had some odd 1000 mg of it per tablet. They had a few free samples of it up and I decided to try one. Anyway I asked the question if it were bad to take too much of it. She told me that the chances were really low because your body dumps it every day and unless you take a massive dose you shouldn�t have a problem.

What is a massive does then?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Vitamin C is a water soluable vitamin, so excesses are usually passed rather quickly with urination. But passing those vitamins isn't always easy for your body, and can cause some not so fun symptoms. Other water soluable vitamins include the B vitamins (B12, B6, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, etc...)

The recomended daily amount is between 60-75 mg/day, and going over by a little isn't so bad, but suplementing up to and over 10,000 mg a day is not good.

This website has a lot of good info: www.acu-cell.com...

At one time, vitamin C overdoses were linked to DNA damage over 500mg/day, but there hasn't been much conclusive data in a while. I've pasted what it *can* do below.

High levels / Overdose / Toxicity / Negative Side Effects - Symptoms and/or Risk Factors:
Diarrhea, abdominal cramps, high stomach acid, increased urination, insomnia, irritability, joint pains,
osteoporosis, headaches, hypoglycemia, weakness, anemia, PMS, may increase infections by causing
copper deficiency, reduced estrogen, reduced progesterone, reduced prolactin, (Ive even heard kidney and renal failure not mentioned on this site).

Some vitamins are deadly when overdosed - mainly the fat soluable ones which are stored in your body such as A, D E, and K. Vitamins A and D are especially toxic in high amounts.

By the way - you can't OD on vitamins from eating food, but you can easily OD from supplements. Save your cash, and have an apple.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
thx RB for the info ill keep that in mind

new topics

top topics

join