It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP Calls NY-9 Election for GOP Turner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
At midnight, with 70% of precincts reporting, the Associated Press called Republican Bob Turner (53%) the winner over Democrat councilman David Weprin. (47%)

hosted.ap.org...

Of course, the WH and liberal bloggers will spin this rebuke of Obama into something less embarrassing.

Fact is, Turner ran his campaign making all of Obama's policies the subject of the special election.

Is this, along with the GOP victory in the NV special election, a portent of things to come for the left?

jw

edit on 13-9-2011 by jdub297 because: sp

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
So... somehow you think that because a Rep won over a Dem that means that things are going to be very bad for Dems? Did you by any chance know that Dems and Reps always beat each other? Bush beat Kerry. Obama beat McCain. This is how a Bipartisanship works. One will lose, while the other wins. Eventually we will have another Rep president, then someday after that another Dem will win.

To answer your question, the left is just fine. Obama is doing way better in public polls then bush did during his reelection so it looks like Dems will probably keep the Presidency. Unless Ron Paul is suddenly the focus of the media, the Reps aren't looking good.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

So... somehow you think that because a Rep won over a Dem that means that things are going to be very bad for Dems?

No. I think that when a predominantly democrat congressional district, in which no one gave the GOP contender a chance just a few weeks ago, loses to an un-tested, first -time GOP office-holder, it is a reflection of a change in attitudes.

This seat had been held by a Democrat since 1855, with only 4 short-term exceptions; and exclusively by Dems since 1923! I don't see a Republican beating a Democrat here as an everyday occurrence.

Close your eyes and cover your ears. You may not see it; that doesn't make it go away.

jw

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Close your eyes and cover your ears. You may not see it; that doesn't make it go away.

jw

Make what go away? A bipartisanship?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Star and flag jdub.

I HOPE this is the CHANGE -I- have been waiting for, to get some of the worst idiots out and gone.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
Make what go away? A bipartisanship?

No, Liberal idiocy.

The end of the left-wing agenda for the destruction of the United States.

Deny all you care; the grown-ups see the writing on the wall at the New York Times, Huffington Post and Associated Press.

GOP wins in NY House race, seen as Obama rebuke

NEW YORK (AP) -- Republicans have scored an upset victory in a House race that started as a contest to replace Rep. Anthony Weiner after he resigned in a sexting scandal but became a referendum on President Barack Obama's economic policies.

The heavily Democratic district, which spans parts of Queens and Brooklyn, had never sent a Republican to the House.

www.hosted.ap.org...

Bob Turner, a little-known Republican businessman from Queens, beat Assemblyman David I. Weprin in an upset victory seen as a message to Washington.]/i]

A little-known Republican businessman from Queens, channeling voter discontent with President Obama into an upset, won election to Congress on Tuesday from the heavily Democratic district in New York City last represented by Anthony D. Weiner.

The New York loss is an embarrassment to Representative Steve Israel, the chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. Mr. Israel just a few months ago had expressed hope that the Democrats could move to take back control of the House; now his party appears to be facing a challenge defending seats it already holds.

www.nytimes.com...

ELECTION UPSET: GOP Candidate Takes Anthony Weiner's Seat

But voter frustration with Obama put Weprin in the unlikely spot of playing defense. A Siena Poll released Friday found just 43 percent of likely voters approved of the president's job performance, while 54 percent said they disapproved. Among independents, just 29 percent said they approved of Obama's job performance.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Who knows, maybe "bipartisanship" will go away?

jw
edit on 14-9-2011 by jdub297 because: cite

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

I was wondering who would post this pretty earth-shattering (in a political sense) news first. Congrats.

Also quite predictable that someone would show up almost immediately with the goal of trying to minimize the impact of this election.

Everyone was saying this election was a referendum on obama and is policies. Well, guess how that turned out - obama and his policies lost the referendum in a district that hadn't changed parties in almost a century.

Congrats also to Turner.

Turning the tide one election at a time.

edit on 9/14/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
This race cannot be overemphasized in its importance. We are talking about a District that:

Since 1855 has been solid Democrat except for 2 elections
Republicans since 1855 only held the chair for one term each.
This seat produces Geraldine Ferraro and Charles Schumer
Seat holds 2 very important Democratic voting blocs: working class Catholics and Orthodox Jews

What I would consider more damning is this proves that unlike what the media and Democrats have been saying for a while now “the GOP is a Southern and rural party” is beginning to see cracks in that logic. Before we were told that there is no way we can compete in the urban North, now we just took a seat from a Democratic stronghold which required the votes of at least 30% of Democrats in the District to take in New York City.

Democrats should be more than afraid. They were hoping to be guaranteed safety in these reliably Democratic districts but now if they have to fight and spend resources just to defend their home turf it is near impossible to envision them gaining any substantial ground in 2012 when they will be just trying to protect whatever they have. If Mitt Romney is nominated in 2012, a man who can have coattails in Northern less Republican regions which someone like Rick Perry could not produce, then I do not think it is out of the question that Michigan, Illinois, New York, Massachusetts, Maine, and New Jersey open up more for the Republican candidates.

That would be a nightmare scenario for any Democrat, losing ground in their solid regions of the North.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a democratic seat going republican might not turn any heads

but a democratic seat going republican in new york is a very big deal

another protest agianst obama and the demcrats themselves your call

but new york could use quite a few more republicans in power.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Before we were told that there is no way we can compete in the urban North, now we just took a seat from a Democratic stronghold which required the votes of at least 30% of Democrats in the District to take in New York City.

When you look at the big picture, even AFTER the 2010 rout, it can only be bad news for the far-left.

Unions and democrats are facing setbacks left and right. They earned them; if blame is to be assigned, they need to look at themselves and their failed policies.

As Nick would say on America's Got Talent, "America has spoken."

jw

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
a democratic seat going republican might not turn any heads

but a democratic seat going republican in new york is a very big deal

another protest agianst obama and the demcrats themselves your call

but new york could use quite a few more republicans in power.

And almost comical (pitiful?) to see the dems attempting spin this news with DNC chair Wasserman saying that the 9th district (that the dems lost only twice since 1855) was a "difficult one for democrats".
If the 9th is truly a "difficult district", then they ALL are going to be difficult for the dems in 2012!

And the White House trying to say it wasn't referendum on obama when even many fellow democrats ware saying just the opposite.

Hell, even democrat and former mayor of New York Ed Koch was campaigning for the Republican in this race. News like that has to hurt obama in his re-election bid.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

And almost comical (pitiful?) to see the dems attempting spin this news with DNC chair Wasserman saying that the 9th district (that the dems lost only twice since 1855) was a "difficult one for democrats".

The WH made their desperation evident with their spin on the election even before the polls had closed.

The administration has lost all credibility. Flailing Obama dependents and supporters have become hysterical in their denial of reality.

It immediately calls to mind a Python-esque obliviousness: "That didn't hurt. It's only a flesh wound."

Meanwhile, the American public, including growing numbers of Democrats, observe the scene and react to Barack Obama's the undeiable failure and no-longer-convincing lies.

jw

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I am surprised (or not, actually) that this isn't getting much coverage, MSM or ATS.
This is huge, and the Dems know it, which is probably why there is so little coverage.

This has been a Dem seat for how long, 160 years or so?

I actually suspect the orthodox Jews of the district ain't to happy with Obama.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
I am surprised (or not, actually) that this isn't getting much coverage, MSM or ATS.
This is huge, and the Dems know it, which is probably why there is so little coverage.

This has been a Dem seat for how long, 160 years or so?

I actually suspect the orthodox Jews of the district ain't to happy with Obama.

Why surprised?

The MSM has a ton of time, effort and money invested in obama.

You won't see them turn on him and start to really post the news unless TPTB decide obama is over.

Could happen soon, though.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Unless Ron Paul is suddenly the focus of the media, the Reps aren't looking good.

At least someone (on the left) FINALLY admits it.

edit on 14-9-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
The MSM has a ton of time, effort and money invested in obama.
You won't see them turn on him and start to really post the news unless TPTB decide obama is over.
Could happen soon, though.

I know Andrew Breitbart isn't exactly the MSM, but he certainly gets their attention and has no qualms about tweaking their noses until they respond.

Maybe he can force the issue into the MSM:

Many Democrats are awakening to the reality that their party has been hijacked by a radicalism completely unfamiliar to their parents’ and grandparents’ Democratic Party.

An internal, partisan civil war is now brewing in that party. What I think tonight is less important than what Joe Lieberman, Bill Clinton, Evan Bayh, and the rest of the former, and now defunct, reasonable wing of the Democratic Party is thinking tonight.

Democrats’ Civil War Against Obama Begins

I think the time is coming sooner than some may think.

jw

top topics

join