It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James randi religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
If Jams Randi's job is to investigate paranormal events/ people, why has he left religion alone. Major religions such as Judaism and Christianity etc... are based upon supernatural beliefs. Members of these religions believe that praying to God has some effect: that is has purpose. If it is his remit to leave religions alone, does this extend to new age religions; if not why not.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by s12345

He is also careful about who he tests. Not to brag (OK I will), his org. refused to test me even after prize money was waived. I kept the rejection letter.-----------------------

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmamaknows

s12345, his job isn't to investigate and research paranormal events/people... From everything I've seen it's to rip such claims to shreds in a rather arrogant way.

Also from everything I've read and heard, James Randi is very, VERY selective about who he tests, if even at all anymore. You should earn money just for the "honor" of him humoring you. He claims the money will be given out once something is "proven", but I dare you to read the fine print (if you can even find it) of what he and his organization feel constitutes scientifically "proven". It's pretty absurd, and is actually left all to the complete and utter discretion of him and his ego.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Ajax because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by s12345
If Jams Randi's job is to investigate paranormal events/ people, why has he left religion alone.

I'm not sure what you mean. What do you expect him to do? He denigrates religion passionately.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Thats interesting to read that James Randi is very selective who he will test but I'm not surpised. Every so often they have him as a guest on a radio show here and I don't care for James Randi at all. His whole attitude is really off putting. He's on a real crusade to debunk anything paranormal sounding. He seems fanatical about it to me.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
can randy debunk my dream where i have seen a friend falling of off a cliff to find when i woke up that this friend actually fell on the ground unconscious 2 hours before i woke up. how can anyone investigate this incident.

the paranormal includes personal experiences which can't be porved or disproved

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
History as a subject is based upon human experience and records, and yet that same human experience and records become unacceptable when the experience is not something they want.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by h_jordan
can randy debunk my dream where i have seen a friend falling of off a cliff to find when i woke up that this friend actually fell on the ground unconscious 2 hours before i woke up. how can anyone investigate this incident.

A situation like that can never be proven or disproven scientifically because half the data relies completely on the hearsay of a single individual. There is no way to do a scientifically verifiable blind test in a situation like this. It relies entirely on one's estimation of the witnesses' honesty. Not to say you aren't being honest, but from a scientific point of view it's just not something worth even investigating because there is no way to have a completely objective look at the data.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Palaentology is a science and has went from dinosaurs being giant brown lizards, to being possibly coloured, to having feathers. We've went from grey lizard to giant budgie in not many years. This either means that we do not want another unscietific science like Palaentology or that we would have to move our way through difficult years to move paranormal up to where physics is today.

top topics

join