It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Currency in a SHTF Scenario

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Things that cover vices is one. There are some which other people have that I don't, and they would still like to get their fix while I'm happy not touching the stuff. Thus those things could be barter goods that I'd not have to worry about cutting into.

Knowledge and the ability to improvise is the other thing. Even if all the gasoline runs out, something like cars that no longer run could be a source of electricity. First there's an alternator already pre-made for the job. Yet those and the batteries are likely to be cherry-picked first. However the speakers in a typical car stereo are probably worth one or two more crude hand-built generators. (Already chock full of magnets and wire.) Any settlement or group that would accept me might have an easier time getting lights back on, provided they didn't have a better power source that never went offline. And if they need vehicles, some hacks replacing camshafts with different timing and replacing an air intake manifold with a high-pressure one can convert gasoline or diesel engines into steam powered ones. No gas, no diesel, no alcohol? Doesn't matter if you can get a boiler going to full head on wood and water.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I cannot eat gold, silver, paper, or crude oil.
You go back to the basics. Food, water, and safety.
edit on 17-9-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

In a SHTF scenario, there is only one currency: brass and lead. You better have plenty of both.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Did not read all the post, but the best thing many forget about and has zero weight to care is your own labor and skills. If you can build or have any of the other trades your are of value, if you can work the field and help with the animals you have a value, if your a medic you have value, all humans have something of value, in a time of trouble. Not one skills labor per hour is worth more than another's, we all will need each other to survive and defend against those whom wish us/the community harm.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
For SHTF all you need is cash and a passport.

What good is the passport? Or is it just an emergency supply of toilet paper?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Only one light currency and that is BOTTLE CAPS, BOTTLE CAPS ,BOTTLE CAPS, and mabey smokes

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Skills are of course, probably going to be the BEST overall currency.

For one thing, you can trade them and still have them.

For another, they can't be robbed from you.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

If shtf I'm suggesting a local trade network. We got one here, the same as the other 26 in the country (I’ve figured out something a bit more inclusive) but this one will work in extreme circumstances.

It would be like pretending that money was still around, keeps all transactions local, enables more people to buy services & produce, strengthens communities the only negative is for the banks who would be missing out on their transaction fees

Their would still need communication for it to work,, still there are many levels to shtf and this covers many of them, even a financial collapse and it might just save us from fighting over food. This is simply one guy keeping track on a ledger of who owes and is owed with an initial credit of $500 for each participant.

Look up green dollars or barter systems no harm in joining as next year is looking interesting…
Keep it local, friendly and make your community strong if you serious about differcult times, yeah or go bush if you think that people aren't up to it.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Skills are of course, probably going to be the BEST overall currency.

For one thing, you can trade them and still have them.

For another, they can't be robbed from you.

Good point. Speaking of skills, doctors will be invaluable. And since mainstream medicines will run out, herbalists will rule the world once again. Which is to say -- learn that stuff now while there is still Internet

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I can't believe you guys are even taking about this. It's common sense!

Anything someone wants from you, those are usually:

Consumables

Weapons

Females

Sheesh
Sage

Thread closed

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by sicksonezer0

I'm going to have to agree with you but modernize it and say tabs for canned drinks light easy to carry and can be used for other things like making thermite

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join