It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potentially habitable "Super-Earth" is among 50 newly discovered exoplanets

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gamesmaster63

Is that right? I'm even more intrigued about this find now.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Domo1

Just 36 light-years away.
Fire a danged probe NAO!

At what? About 50,000 MPH?

Great. Then in about 500,000 years we can find out whether it made it there or not.

Originally posted by Jordan River
Estimate and suggestions. nothing more. No matter what, it will probably take another 300+ years before we can deep space travel.

Humanity will destroy itself, or at the very least we will destroy this civilization and end up as the new cavemen, before we reach another star. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Originally posted by Jordan River
and the planet gravity is way stronger than earth, another issue

Planetary surface gravity is not only affected by mass, it is also affected by radius (and thus density). An earth-mass object made of cheese vs. one made of lead would have vastly different surface gravity. However, you are right in that the surface gravity is PROBABLY more. And if it is to be a truly habitable world, rather than just somewhere to stick some biospheres, it needs to have things like volcanism and a magnetic field. Those aren't too likely on a really low-density world.

May as well just play (or design) some space games though. We will NEVER get to these places. Humanity is too broken.
edit on 12-9-2011 by Observer99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeroK
Ooh, how I would like to move there and start up a new world.
Take some seeds with me (have you guys seen seeds that have been in space btw? the vegetables/plants grow far bigger than usual), and just build a small community that is based upon helping each other. Explore the surrounding areas and live in a pure environment that hasn't been ruined by us humans

On a more serious note,
that is a very interesting discovery.
Was this a part of the 'Extremely Large European Telescope' release that was promised for today?

if the planet is habitable then it's certain that it's inhabited! leave the happy denizens of this newly discovered world alone and plant your seeds here on Earth.
I was afraid of this "ooo! an earth like planet lets go there and conquer all the little things that live there make them extinct bring some viruses....sound like the AAH much ?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
That is beautiful to know it may be able to support life....But FIRST, we must find out if it is already supporting lieforms of its own already. I dont like the idea of our kind going out there and taking over (stealing) a planet.
Hey, it has happened here on this planet and people are still getting ripped off.

But I would say this, if there are NOT other beings already living on that planet, then heck yeah, that would be fantastic to colonize over there, and especially without govment. Let's not make the same mistakes that were done to this planet and its life.

Great post BTW.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
probably an acid environment inhabited with reptilians that feast on Human flesh-du jour.....and yes send out the generation ships,,,I could be wrong,,,but its not likely as I already was earlier today

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I see the ATS sci-fiers (AKA the 14 yr olds who play video games and are 80% of the members on this website) are out in full force!! LMAO!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

We'll never be truly concerned about exploring space until our planet goes belly up.

There has to be a necessity for it. There's none right now.

Can you imagine a circumstance where living in space or on mars is easier than living on earth?
edit on 12-9-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
im not jumping for joy for any new planet found considering

none of us know what the gravity is it may be bigger but can have 10 times the gravity

which pretty much means forget it.

and the reason we arent out in space anymore is because social programs are more important

that going into outerspace and create trillion dollar new industries.

if you aint got the cash you cant do nothing.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Great news for us singles! Sounds like the dating pool may have just grown exponentially. I always had a sneaking suspicion that my soul mate may not be on Earth....

Great post though, OP! Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutz4tom
If there is a mod available please consider closing this thread as it has already was posted hours earlier..
Thank you

Awe, is someone a sad panda ? I already starred and flagged this thread though. It was so good, and it was newer in the recent threads list. Good show OP

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacekc929
Now we just need to discover how to go into warp speed...

Yo hoo. Lets go. Lol cute avatar.
Great find op,

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
cant see why some people are so concerned about closing a thread when others are having a good time commenting on the topic anyways i think it would be great to just see some pics of the topography

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I bet it would be a lovely planet and then dum dum dum duum we find it and the rest is history, literally.

I just hope they have a mcdonalds

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Domo1

Just 36 light-years away.
Fire a danged probe NAO!

And how long do you think it would take before it reached its destination?

Humanity might be long gone by the time it even arrives and by then it would be nothing more than a worthless piece of junk floating in space.

Even the fastest propulsion we have in theory would take tens of thousands of years to reach the closest star.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Recently, HARPS offered some of the most damning evidence yet that Gliese 581 g, the first rocky exoplanet discovered in its planet's habitable zone, does not, in fact, exist

Does one not pause at the sudden existence/non-existence of such planets at the whim of high priests of information?

no. one does not.

one accepts the information gladly and swallows willfully.

edit on 9/13/2011 by prevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

He was being facetious. It makes me sad that so many people missed that.

I wish we did have something fast enough to get there in my lifetime, with the capability to actually send back signals as well.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Mother Earth and all animals would be so happy to see us leave forever
except for maybe dogs

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The Grass is ALWAYS Greener....right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join