It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMD to unleash worlds most powerful consumer General Processing Unit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

Im still rocking 3-480 GTX's in Tri-SLI with a 920 that's OC'd to 3.6 on air....God, after re-reading that, I feel like such a nerd for a 39 year old man...

Honestly, the software is lagging way behind the hardware department. I personally think both Red and Green should focus on driver optimization for about a year or two and stop releasing new cards. I run everything from CAD to my 200+ library of Steam games, and nothing seems to slow my PC down. Until there is a need for faster hardware, I think I will just stick with what I have

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

A new graphics card is noteworthy? Do you work for AMD?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights

Im still rocking 3-480 GTX's in Tri-SLI with a 920 that's OC'd to 3.6 on air....God, after re-reading that, I feel like such a nerd for a 39 year old man...

Honestly, the software is lagging way behind the hardware department. I personally think both Red and Green should focus on driver optimization for about a year or two and stop releasing new cards. I run everything from CAD to my 200+ library of Steam games, and nothing seems to slow my PC down. Until there is a need for faster hardware, I think I will just stick with what I have

Nice rig, beast mode for sure!
Man, your going to have such a great time running BF3 with that.

Yeah true, there are GPU releases coming out so frequently, with some minor improvement, im glad for the 7000 series, since we finally get XDR2, a new architecture and a die shrink.

But your right, we need more games to play on, PC gaming seems to be popular only in the MMO,RTS genres, but FPS and the other genres of gaming looks like it moved to consoles.
Nice CAD is good, i used 3DSMAX, the UDK, Photoshop on my dual core rig, i really need a quad core to run them properly tho.

Are you getting the new Ivy bridge by intel?
Im planning on either getting Bulldozer, or getting a laptop with the 22nm Ivy Bridge Mobile chips and the new 28nm mobile gpus.
edit on 13-9-2011 by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I probably wont be getting any new upgrades until what I have wont play games at max specs or run software smoothly. With 12 Gigs of DDR3 ram along with what I mentioned earlier, that could be some time. Looking at Intel's road map, I more than likely will be moving to a 12-16 core CPU rig about the time mine goes obsolete. I admit to leaning towards Intel for CPU's but as far as GFX goes, I will upgrade to what I feel is the best piece(s) of hardware out at the time.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
While it's interesting it is nothing more than business as usual in the electronics industry. From what I've heard the Radeon 78xx series will come first with evolutionary improvements to the current VLIW4 architecture (already found on Radeon 69xx cards) on a new manufacturing process... mainly giving lower power consumption. From what I've heard, the top end cards will be coming next year once the manufacturing process becomes more mature. Also the top-end card that will supposedly have 256 GB/s of memory bandwidth is not 16 times faster than existing memory, it's more like 1/3rd faster which is what we usually get going from one generation to the next.

What would be the reasons AMD decided to use XDR2 in their GPU's, mainly faster and more efficient processing?
Dosn't XDR2 provide better bandwidth performance over GDDR5 whilst using less power.

Yes.

XDR2 is made by Rambus and is marketed as the world's fastest memory system. Rambus claims that XDR2 offers twice the bandwidth of GDDR5 per circuit, while power consumption will be 30% less at the same performance.

My GTX 570 OC is a beast, I'm looking forward to Bulldozer more than Radeon 7xxx series. My current Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz overclocked to 3.4ghz is getting old and is bottle-necking the card in newer games... plus it's almost four years old so I think it's going to give up and die soon.
edit on 13/9/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

edit on 13/9/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Ahhh Rambus, the purveyors of frivolous litigation. I thought that company fell off the face of the earth? Looks like all that additional "income" went to making a sellable product. Lord knows there first RAM was a miserable failure.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This is related to the OP, and I thought it was pretty cool.

8.429ghz on liquid helium.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join