It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rescued fin whale dies on Humber Estuary sandbank.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

What caused baby fin whale to die in Humber?

A team of more than 50 people released the 27ft (8.23m) fin whale after it became stuck near Immingham docks on Tuesday.

Source

MARINE experts were today continuing their investigation into how a baby fin whale, found floating in the Humber yesterday, lost its life.

Fin whales are native to the Atlantic Ocean and cannot survive in the North Sea because there is not enough food, and now experts are trying to understand why it came into the area's waters.

Source

I saw this earlier in the week and was pleased it had a happy ending but I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Another example of the love animals feel....it truly sickens me how some animals are treated.

A larger whale, believed to be its mother, was earlier seen circling in the Humber.

Original article when the whale was first known to be stranded

Does anyone have any idea as to why the whale came to be here in the first place? I'm no whale expert but it does seem quite odd.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Oh dear. I hope that whale is a one off but I fear it won't be. I used to live right near where that happened along the river, close to the estuary.

It must have it's navigation senses all screwed up...

They don't usually survive though, I remember a few years back a whale swam up the Thames in London and died. They tried so hard to save it, oh well. Poor buggers.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
A Fin whale washed up round here in august and the BBC story said it was probably a memeber of a small pod that moved up into our waters recently, perhaps its linked?
www.bbc.co.uk...

join