It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Kindle users?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'm curious? With a Kindle can you store the texts you purchase separately and can you print from them? I find the info on Amazon about them lacking in detail. I'd need to know I can print pages or books in case a Kindle or computer is not available where I'm reading before I'd buy one.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
why do you need 2 print, you read from the kindle. They are kind on the eyes not like computer screens..

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Finally I can tell people "Go read a book!" again.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Hi Blaine -

Amazon uses a proprietary format for the Kindle (VERY proprietary), and I'm not aware of any option to print beyond printing what's on your screen from keyboard 'print screen' option and so forth, if you're using the PC app - which they do have for your computer, so the files CAN be moved to & stored on your computer...but I'm not sure if there's much good beyond that. Hopefully someone else can provide more information if there is any available out there, but I don't think there will be many good print options otherwise.

That said, I DO recommend it simply as an e-reader, but otherwise not much.
edit on 9/9/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Thanks so much. That is what I wanted to know. I think I'll just buy the books then. They should offer a Kindle version along with a print version for a few bucks extra. That would make sense.

This sounds to me to be more like renting a book.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
why do you need 2 print, you read from the kindle. They are kind on the eyes not like computer screens..

I read mostly non-fiction and want it for reference. Renting a book makes little sense for me.

Seems to me at that price, its a bit of a rip-off you cannot print from them. Print copies are only slightly more. I understand they would be good for a Novel you only read once, but I mainly buy instructional and reference books.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

This sounds to me to be more like renting a book.

Yes and no, I suppose:

A lot of older books are free (pretty much anything that's out of copyright, so pre-1923 or so? Classics, etc.), and anything else that you download at cost, which is usually cheaper than print (most being $9.99 or less), is saved in your library and can be redownloaded for free even if you've deleted it...and they've got pretty massive capacity of about 3500 books on average, I believe.

There's also the blog/newspaper/magazine access - again, some free - and (so-so) built-in web browser, but there definitely are some significant limitations depending on what you're trying to do.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I've been a Kindle user for a couple of years and can relate to your concerns.

There are still some texts which I prefer to get in print - particularly when diagrams are integral to the work.

They are now developing the next generation kindle, in color, on some form of Android from what I've read.

As far as the "rental" goes, if you purchase a book, you can always download it from purchase archives online. I had to do this for all my books when I had one break down on me.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

This sounds like something my Wife would like. She inhales a couple of novels a week.
edit on 9/9/2011 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

I'll likely end up getting one, if for no other reason than for my Wife to use it.

I can see why it would have a lot of users.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I LOVE my Kindle! I do know how to make files readable for the Kindle by using Mobi but I am not sure if a person could reverse that for printing and such.

On a side note, they have tons of free books if you aren't picky. Google 100 top free kindle books and start downloading now if you are going to get one. They change these books out frequently and you miss the deal.

ETA: Gonna check on the printing thing for you tomorrow Blaine, now you have my curiosity picked.
edit on 9-9-2011 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Try ebay for your kindle stuff. I bought 3500 books for £3.99 on one disc. Store them on your pc and put a couple of dozen on your kindle. I found when you overload the kindle with books it uses a lot of battery power.

For bigger books and picture books you can now buy the kindle DX which has a larger screen. About A4 size or thereabouts.
edit on 10-9-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Thought I'd update my Kindle Drama

A friend settled it for me by sending a Kindle Fire for Christmas. Now that I found out I can check out Kindle Books from the local library over the Internet, I'm very happy about it. Had no idea a person could do that before. Yes I'm old and out of touch.

Anyway
for Kindle. I'm really enjoying it. Now I've got to have two since my Wife got her hands on it. Kindle's, Kindle's everywhere.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Glad you like it. I still love mine after a year. I would love to upgrade to the Fire but will have to save up the pennies for that.

Kindle free books

I still haven't found how to print from the kindle. If you have pdf files you would like to put into kindle format I still use Mobi pocket creator. You can download Mobi for free online.

I haven't used this site yet because it would be "illegal" I think, but my brother uses it a lot.

Congrats on the new Kindle.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I lurve my Kindle, as much as a person can lurve a device. I didn't think it would be hardy enough for my lifestyle, as I'm hard on electronics. I've fallen asleep and dropped it, I've slept on it even and knocked it off a table. It survived. I splashed it with a beverage. It survived.

I don't really understand much of this info -- I'm sure I could if I wanted to print from it. I know that I can transfer book files to my computer and save them.

Hope this helps.

p.s. okay, so I'm five years late. Island time, mon.

edit on 14/9/16 by argentus because: (no reason given)

top topics

join