It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC Debate - Did anyone else hear the crowd clap for the death penalty?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skippy1138
reply to post by Dance4Life

Just curious-have you ever had a family member/loved one raped, tortured, or murdered?........

I have. Seriously.

We're 99.9% certain of who did it and they were found guilty and put in prison for life. We're 99.9% certain he did it and we are disgusted at the idea that he'll get so many opportunities to repeal this sentence.

I'm against capital punishment.

Why?

Even in my personal case, that 0.01% cannot be denied. And the idea of an innocent person being executed for a crime they did not commit makes me ill.

Some day. Some way. Justice will be served.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

No. Would you agree that 2 murders are better than 1 murder?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dance4Life
reply to post by Skippy1138

No. Would you agree that 2 murders are better than 1 murder?

As long as I can cry over the first one and shout for joy after the second...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

I believe some people are so evil they simply don't deserve a chance to live. One less evil, horrid individual on this earth is something to applaud. Some say life in prison is far worse, but i beg to differ. With life in prison, that individual can still find some sort of happiness, be it the smallest ray of light or memory they have. They are undeserving of even this.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

That's disgusting.

Sorry, but that is so twisted. Sorry if someone has wronged you or your family, but there is nothing noble about killing another person just to get "morally even" from your perspective.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Your view may change one day if your life is affected god forbid. I think its too slow of a process myself. And much too leniant more people pehaps should pay with their lives but slip through the cracks in this weak system imo

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

That's disgusting.

Sorry, but that is so twisted. Sorry if someone has wronged you or your family, but there is nothing noble about killing another person just to get "morally even" from your perspective.

SARCASM (sorry, I am trying to give a very good example of our friends minds here)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

If something like that happened to one of my loved ones I would prefer life without parole over the death penalty.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by no time

If a jury of your peers that you and your lawyer choose, hear your case, and think you are evil enough to be executed, I doubt very often that they are wrong. There have been a few cases of mistaken convictions, and many more that were questioned. Just getting an entire jury to believe that a man deserves to die is a feat in and of itself. But truthfully how can you deny that there is a portion of the population that absolutely does not deserve to live. And how can you say that society doesn't have to be prudent when dealing with people willing and convicted of committing the worst crime imaginable? Do you think that tax dollars should be spent keeping someone locked in a cell forever to protect a life that was over the day they took there victim's life. I also watched the debate, and while his comments seemed to be like he was bragging about killing people, just like last week when he bragged about how he would expand the war on terror. After taking the entire context of that statement into consideration you have to give the guy props for at least not wavering on a tough question that he absolutely had to know might be a deal breaker.

If a jury decides a person deserves to die, they probably do. Should it be our right to judge? Absolutely not. But it is really expensive to keep people that aren't meant to live in society alive. And it really is a burden they most often do not deserve for us to bare.

EDIT: I think perry is a joke, btw, just think this won't be the item that breaks his campaign. I think mostly the fact that he supports Al gore, more WAR, and his liberal record will break his campaign before his political views on Capital Punishment are even brought up.

edit on 7-9-2011 by no time because: (no reason given)

Here in Illinois, former Governor George Ryan ended the death penalty because it turns out that in some cases juries were wrongfully convicting people who were in turn executed and as it turned out were innocent all along. You should rethink your position that your fellow human beings are infallible in a court of law when sitting on a jury.

Also, it has been proven that killing someone takes a lot more money than just letting them live out their lives in prison. Do you not know that inmates spend upwards of ten years or more on death row?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

oops - went over this guy's head

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

So you're against abortion, right?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It isn't up to me what someone else does with their body. This isn't close to the abortion debate.

IMO, again IMO, women should be free to do whatever is best for them before it pops out. It is none of my business.

Frying someone or injecting them in front of a crowd of people clapping and salivating at the killing is something much entirely different.
edit on 8-9-2011 by Dance4Life because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

So you're against abortion, right?

So your against the death penalty, right?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

yep

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
When an adult makes a conscious decision to commit a crime that will forfeit their rights to life, I have no problem pulling the switch.

The only "crime" a pre-natal child commited was existing in the first place.

I thought this thread was on the terrible loss of innocent life. Didn't realise that there were "qualifiers" attached.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Right.

Anyway..

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Am I taking crazy pills or was that crowd insane?

People applauding killing potentially innocent people? Rick Perry standing there like he was so proud of this?

Like killing another person is justified?

WTF is wrong with this country? That seriously made me ill.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Dance4Life because: (no reason given)

Just going by your OP.

Like killing another person is justified?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I'm doing that thing that some atsers really hate... jumping in having only read a cpl previous posts. So, I'm prepared for x,y,z response of: 'You didn't read post 8xq of thread ykb to understand the complexities of 97z.' That being said, I think the "Execution Answer" was a great and possibly honest statement from the Governor. I think that we need a rehabilitory style prison system... but if you're if prison for the third time for raping a child, then it's possible you can't be rehabilitated and it's best to set your soul free and perhaps next time you'll do a better job.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The only problem I have with the death penalty is the hypocrisy of it.

Often, people who get the death penalty, do so because they killed....So...How does killing them make us any better than them?

That said, I did not catch the debate this time around. Just.... was not in the mood to listen to a bunch of politicians stand around and see who can tell the best lie.
edit on 8-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
The only problem I have with the death penalty is the hypocrisy of it.

Often, people who get the death penalty, do so because they killed....So...How does killing them make us any better than them?

That said, I did not catch the debate this time around. Just.... was not in the mood to listen to a bunch of politicians stand around and see who can tell the best lie.
edit on 8-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

It's not about eye for and eye. It's not about deterance. It's about recognizing someone's lack of care for society and giving them the punishment they have brought upon themselves for their own repeated anti-social actions.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join