It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local Foragables in Your Area

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I live in south Florida, a mixing pots of sorts for tropical plants and the wild edibles that occur as a result of their introduction. In a way, I see myself as not having as much knowledge of wild edible plants as those in other parts of the country. My land has been, if you will, contaminated with wonderful edibles from all around the globe.

I wont go into detail of the things that grow here just yet, but I am very interested in the local plants of foragers in other parts of the world. What sets you out in the woods?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
We have a network on info for that ,and so do you.
Here is mine.

Wild Edible Plants in Kentucky A prepper's food storage is their lifeline and the basis of their preparedness plan. But food storages will eventually run out. One way to combat this is to garden and grow food to supplement the food storage, but even gardens fail depending on your level of experience and the weather. The next thing you can do is to know what wild edible plants grow in your area, so that if you had to, you could use them as a source of food. There are a number of wild edible plants out there that are packed with vitamins and nutrients, some more nutritious than food we buy in the stores. Knowing how to identify these, where they grow, and how to prepare them is vital to your survival.

www.kentuckypreppersnetwork.com...

And here is Florida's.
www.floridapreppersnetwork.com...

And more for you.
www.wildfloridian.com...
edit on 7-9-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I live in central Arizona and have plenty to eat around here if your into foraging.

Foraging at the grocery store today I found hotdogs, potato chips, ......... just kidding.

Around here we have in abundance many edible things if you know where to look and what to eat.

Prickly pear cactus / and it's fruits
Acorns
snakes & lizards
Cattail
Carelessweed
Saguaro cactus fruit (protected plant so only harvest fruit in a survival situation)
Crayfish
Alligator Juniper berries (if you can stand the taste)
pinyon nuts from a pinyon pine tree
Common Dandelion (The young leaves, the flowers, and the mature taproots are edible)

I am sure there are many more things that I do not know about but these will keep me fed if need be.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ClapOnKyle

I'm in upper midwest and we can forage for berries in the spring, summer and fall. Strawberries, blueberries, chokecherries, gooseberries; sometimes wild grapes. Dandylion greens in the spring, and dandylion roots in the fall. You can eat the flowerheads of cattails in the spring before it flowers, you can use the pollen as flour. You can eat their roots in the fall. You can make a tea with pine needles that is rich in vitamins.

Black walnuts can be eaten as well. For acorns, you have to leech the tannin out of them, and you can roast them and eat them. Well, this is just what my sixteen year old son just told me, anyway....

S & F OP

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Im in Hawaii and like Florida most of the things I eat while hiking or camping are introduced species, on my last hike I picked bitter melon, lilikoi, wild raspberries and pineapple. Below are some pictures of that trip. Although I can identify edible endemic plants such as wild taro, arrowroot, ginger, ohelo etc.. I didnt have any pictures of them from a recent hike.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

thats the best info you have my sincere gratitude

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by domtron

thats the best info you have my sincere gratitude

Hunting season just started here and took my 10 year old son out hunting dove and went fishing.
He out did me in the fishing.
What parts of the country are you from,if I my ask?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kitosoren808

Is that a pineapple I see in the first pic?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

yes it is pineapple(young), and surrounded by bittermelon vines

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
In my own backyard I have a pear tree,7 apple trees,raspberry bushes 2 mulberry trees and several walnut trees nearby.My lot is only 1/4 acre but heavily wooded.
I live in a wooded suburb and have many deer come up to drink from my small pond.
I feed and see many squirrels ,ground hogs,dove and an occasional wild turkey.
edit on 7-9-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kitosoren808

I had some good friends of mine who lived in those sugarcane fields somewhere on the islands.They lived of the land.Or am I wrong about the sugar cane.Maybe it was pineapple.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
In Texas:
prickly pear
Yucca flowers
Jerusalem Artichoke
Mexican Plum

For "Poke Salad"
Lambsquarter
Dandelion

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

i'd hope it was in the pineapple fields, everywhere they have sugarcane is dreadfully hot and like a desert.
that pineapple pic was taken in the middle of an old pineapple field, not used for almost 4 years, land dispute on that whole mountain it will probably be 20 years of court battle before they do anything with it. the pineapple has come back in small patches, still though, I could have filled my truck up with pineapples that day...

top topics

join