It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Libyan missiles looted

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Libyan missiles looted


security.blogs.cnn.com

TRIPOLI, Libya (CNN) - A potent stash of Russian-made surface-to-air missiles is missing from a huge Tripoli weapons warehouse amid reports of weapons looting across war-torn Libya.

They are Grinch SA-24 shoulder-launched missiles, also known as Igla-S missiles, the equivalent of U.S.-made Stinger missiles.

(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The article goes on to say that the Grinch SA-24s are designed to target front-line aircraft, helicopters, cruise missiles and drones. They can shoot down a plane flying as high as 11,000 feet and can travel 19,000 feet straight out.

There was a lot of talk after the US invasion of Afghanistan back in 2001 the our supply of Stinger shoulder launched SAMS would come back to bite us. I never really bought into that because critical operational components on the Stinger have a relatively short shelf life, but I wouldn’t be so non-chalant about these.

I am sure many of them are sitting in someone’s living room as trophy or wating to be sold on EBay, but if they fell into the wrong hands …..




security.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This is where I don't understand what happened as if he did have all this kit why on earth did he not use it..

But then I guess we will never really know the truth and I hope these have not been spirited anywhere.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Has anyone checked Ebay or craigslist yet?



edit on 7-9-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
What are the wrong hands......as NATO seems to believe that "as long as your helping us in our current mission, you are free from being blamed for your past/future"

The only wrong hands I can see are giving them back to NATO



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike


The article goes on to say that the Grinch SA-24s are designed to target front-line aircraft, helicopters, cruise missiles and drones. They can shoot down a plane flying as high as 11,000 feet and can travel 19,000 feet straight out.

There was a lot of talk after the US invasion of Afghanistan back in 2001 the our supply of Stinger shoulder launched SAMS would come back to bite us. I never really bought into that because critical operational components on the Stinger have a relatively short shelf life, but I wouldn’t be so non-chalant about these.

I am sure many of them are sitting in someone’s living room as trophy or wating to be sold on EBay, but if they fell into the wrong hands …..




security.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)


TWA 800

That flight was brought down by a missle, either by the Navy, or by terrorists on a boat nearby.

My money is on the Navy. I think it was a training missle without an active warhead.

But the witness reports match a Stinger also.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Has anyone checked Ebay or craigslist yet?



edit on 7-9-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)


Hey yeah... I tried searching Google for "shoulder launched surface to air missle for sale". That didn't work out too well. Then I tried "libyian leftovers"... That was disgusting. I then tried "weapons of mass destruction". That kept bringing me to pictures of Joe Bidens mouth!

As for the OP... I have called military instalations for business contacts and let me tell you it is "voice-mail hell". If you actually got someone on the line it was either an ET answering the phone or it was their first day on the job!



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic
 


I always thought the link between TWA 800, Philippine Airlines Flight 434, and Ramzi Yousef was pretty convincing.

www.cashill.com...



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Try searching for "pinball machine parts"



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger
 


I've read about weapons smuggled from Libya to Gaza. Guess that's where they are.


Edit:Took out the little offtopic post and posted it here.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Kemal because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
What do es anyone expect when we do not have "boots' on the ground. How does the U.N. know this suddenly when it was supposed to be an AHEM, No-Fly zone. I would like those answered first. The whole thing was botched from the start.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger
 


There are boots on the ground. British SAS and probably other special forces we have not heard about.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike
 


Great. These are going straight into the hands of al-Qaeda then.

Libya is rumoured to have a lot of al-Qaeda operatives working with the rebels and also that a lot of terrorists come out of Libya.

Not good.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I tend to agree, if they do exist, they are already sold, or in the process of being sold.
They will turn up some where I am sure. I just hope it is not when another twa 800 comes down.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vardoger


The only wrong hands I can see are giving them back to NATO


Ok you have established the wrong hands. Can you tell us who has the right hands?


edit on 7-9-2011 by RedGolem because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
This is where I don't understand what happened as if he did have all this kit why on earth did he not use it..

But then I guess we will never really know the truth and I hope these have not been spirited anywhere.


sounds like work for interpol.

the article mentions spending millions to buy back in afganistan.

some contractor will collect millions from the government for recuperating a dozen missiles from some shadowy black market.

maybe they'll find out who's swiss bank account the millions are going to.

some conspiracies make money.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem
 


In a perfect world there are no "right/wrong" hands. However, we all know they are going to wind up with someone with a personal opinion on who they should used against. It's not a good ting to say, or think about, but I'd rather them be used against an invading military than for the "humanitarian aid" of a "peacekeeping" force. That isn't specific to this conflict, it's a general viewpoint.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by george_gaz
reply to post by SirMike
 


Great. These are going straight into the hands of al-Qaeda then.


Yes they are. Just as planned.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
reply to post by AGWskeptic
 


I always thought the link between TWA 800, Philippine Airlines Flight 434, and Ramzi Yousef was pretty convincing.

www.cashill.com...


Very interesting stuff, thanks for responding.

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to the Clinton's.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike
 


How do they know they are missing?
I can't imagine that all those rebels (or even state military) were following procedure amongst the chaos.
Maybe they were just used?



new topics

top topics



 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join