It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter, Facebook Shape Consumer Buying Habits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
A new study into European consumer shopping behaviour by IBM has reported findings suggesting social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook play a larger role in individuals buying habits than previously thought.

The research paper suggested that social media plays an increasingly important role in the way consumers shop, affecting their purchasing decisions, even in store.

"Consumers are using social networks in a sophisticated way, researching products, prices, promotions and other consumers' views, to validate their decision making. This is then influencing sales across all procurement channels - not just online," read IBM's paper.

The paper suggested that over 50 per cent of respondents with internet access between the ages of 16 and 64 currently use social networks to "assist with shopping decisions." Specifically, the report indicated that in addition to following retailers, 35 per cent confirmed that they used social network sites to read product reviews.

Source

I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone and it's been a hot topic for debate over the last couple of years. Will human beings finally realize they have the ability to make decisions on their own or will they continue to do as they see and buy in to trends/hype just for social acceptance?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serizawa
I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone and it's been a hot topic for debate over the last couple of years. Will human beings finally realize they have the ability to make decisions on their own or will they continue to do as they see and buy in to trends/hype just for social acceptance?

It has been going on for years. First tv, now the internet.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

My minor in college (just graduated!) was consumer sciences (stats/trends) and I can tell you that they (retail business) is pushing very VERY hard for this tech to become the standard.

It allows for fewer staff, thus reduced costs and increased consistency. Profits, profits, profits.

The increase dependence on social networks to make decisions is in line with expansion of metro-sexualism/ feminization of masculine social identity.

The trend is for men to become more and more "fashionable" which basically means they go full retard and start paying five times the cost of goods like the average female.

Also to add when calculating RETAIL mark up one must realize they do not use cost based mark ups.

They measure the mark up from the full retail price.

If you bought a widget for $10 and sold it for $20 it is a RETAIL mark up of 50% not 100%

Hope you all have a nice day!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I noticed staff may now speak on behalf of a brand with the freedom to write almost anything in hope of promoting including slang words such as swag and swear words. I'm sure the owner has no idea what any of that means.

Taking a few snap shots of your new outfits/collectables and uploading them to social networks and blogs such as tumblr is very very popular, But the question remains.........Why?. Is it the smart large and rich corporations that start such trends or just people showing off with 'swag'?

top topics

join