It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Books of the Bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The so-called lost books of the Bible are those documents that are mentioned in the Bible in such a way that it is evident they are considered authentic and valuable, but that are not found in the Bible today. Sometimes called missing scripture, they consist of at least the following: book of the Wars of the Lord (Num. 21: 14); book of Jasher (Josh. 10: 13; 2 Sam. 1: 18); book of the acts of Solomon (1 Kgs. 11: 41); book of Samuel the seer (1 Chr. 29: 29); book of Gad the seer (1 Chr. 29: 29); book of Nathan the prophet (1 Chr. 29: 29; 2 Chr. 9: 29); prophecy of Ahijah (2 Chr. 9: 29); visions of Iddo the seer (2 Chr. 9: 29; 2 Chr. 12: 15; 2 Chr. 13: 22); book of Shemaiah (2 Chr. 12: 15); book of Jehu (2 Chr. 20: 34); sayings of the seers (2 Chr. 33: 19); an epistle of Paul to the Corinthians, earlier than our present 1 Corinthians (1 Cor. 5: 9); possibly an earlier epistle to the Ephesians (Eph. 3: 3); an epistle to the Church at Laodicea (Col. 4: 16); and some prophecies of Enoch, known to Jude (Jude 1: 14). To these rather clear references to inspired writings other than our current Bible may be added another list that has allusions to writings that may or may not be contained within our present text, but may perhaps be known by a different title; for example, the book of the covenant (Ex. 24: 7), which may or may not be included in the current book of Exodus; the manner of the kingdom, written by Samuel (1 Sam. 10: 25); the rest of the acts of Uzziah written by Isaiah (2 Chr. 26: 22).

The foregoing items attest to the fact that our present Bible does not contain all of the word of the Lord that he gave to his people in former times, and remind us that the Bible, in its present form, is rather incomplete.

Matthew�s reference to a prophecy that Jesus would be a Nazarene (Matt. 2: 23) is interesting when it is considered that our present O.T. seems to have no statement as such. There is a possibility, however, that Matthew alluded to Isaiah 11: 1, which prophesies of the Messiah as a Branch from the root of Jesse, the father of David. The Hebrew word for branch in this case is netzer, the source word of Nazarene and Nazareth. Additional references to the Branch as the Savior and Messiah are found in Jer. 23: 5; Jer. 33: 15; Zech. 3: 8; Zech. 6: 12; these use a synonymous Hebrew word for branch, tzemakh.

The Book of Mormon makes reference to writings of O.T. times and connection that are not found in the Bible, the Book of Mormon, or in any other known source. These writings are of Zenock, Zenos, and Neum (1 Ne. 19: 10; Alma 33: 3-17). An extensive prophecy by Joseph in Egypt (which is not in the Bible) is also apparent from 2 Ne. 3: 4-22, and a prophecy of Jacob (not found in the Bible) is given in Alma 46: 24-26. These writings were evidently contained on the plates of brass spoken of in the Book of Mormon (1 Ne. 5: 10-13).

scriptures.lds.org...

[edit on 8/23/2004 by petey_pongo23]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'm not sure what, if any, point you are making here, I may of just missed it, or maybe your just mentioning it...at any rate, I have read these books and the Apocryphal books...there very interesting and seem to tell more than the books the church decided to use to make up the Christian bible....anyone that studies religions should read them....

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
thank you for making my point for me...I hit the enter button before I meant to and hadn't edited it yet. Now I don't have to thanks to you...lol

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   
How would one go about finding these missing parts and reading them? Is there a site online, or are they actually published somewhere?

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Are you talking about the banned books from the bible aswell? Cause ive been trying to find them on the net, but i cant sadly
im not sure if the banned and missing books are the same books.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Banned books? Just what is trying to be hidden here...man do I hate censorship..

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   
A little something on the Book of the Wars that I found:

"Although there is no existing record of the Book of the Wars of the Lord, most likely, it was a compilation of victory songs and/or poems. This too could be assumed was put to music as well. Dr. Lightfoot suggests that this is a ?book of rememberances and directions written by Moses for Joshua?s private instruction for the management of the wars proceeding him. (See Exodus 17:14-16).?(5) Dr. Lightfoot continues to explain how the Book of Jasher and this book might be one and the same."

These are some of the books mentioned in the first post, for anyone interested.

The Book of Jasher

Sayings of the Seers

Book of Enoch

Epistle to Corinth

Pseudepigraphal Books/Deuterocanonical (Apocryphal) Books

Info on a bunch of 'Lost, Forgotten Books and Ancient Sacred Texts'

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
These books are available at most larger book stores. Also...I think I saw this same post in another forum here somewhere, so you may want to have one deleted.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
delete the other one...this one is current...as for the banned books, I believe (and I could be wrong) that occurred during the Apostasy. I also posted something about how the Canon was chosen (leaving it open as a question). Perhaps you should check that post out, because some of the members of ATS have been quite helpful on the subject as well.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by anjeeeee
How would one go about finding these missing parts and reading them? Is there a site online, or are they actually published somewhere?

You are asking where are the missing books? Well, they are missing. THe author is talking about books mentioned in the bible that don't exist anywhere anymore, or if they do no one knows about them.

There are books that were more or less widely circulated in early and later christian times that aren't included in the bible but are otherwise known. The Gospel of St Thomas would be one of them I think.

As far as these books being 'banned', well, some of them were written well after the events they proport to portray, and are obvious frauds. Others are more questionable.

There have even been modern frauds at creating new gospels. ONe of which that comes to mind is a book that was supposed to have been written by pontious pilate about his experiences during and well after the crucifixtion.

That and other very early biblical texts are available at this excellent site:

www.tertullian.org...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
if I'm not mistaken, I believe that some of the "Lost Books" were thought to be contained within the Dead Sea Scrolls...someone correct me if I am wrong...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
thank you for the links, i have interesting things to read now

cheers guys

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Hey Petey Pongo:

Yes, many of the socalled "apocryphal" (hidden) books of the Old Testament (i.e. the Hebrew Bible) were in fact found having been faithfully and lovingly copied "as scripture" by the scribes at Qumran (i.e. the Dead Sea Scroll Community, who called themselves names such as "Sons of Light" or the "Followers of the Way" between 160 BC and AD 68) side by side with other "canonical" books of the OT which the Jamnia/Javneh council voted into "scripture".

These books were well known to "Iesous" (R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean) who freely quotes from them (e.g. the Testament of the 12, when he quotes from the Testament of Naphtali 13:9 in John chapter 4) as well as the early church who quotes from them (Jude v. 14 quotes from I Henoch 1:17-19)

These included Hebrew versions (alas fragments only!) of the Book of Susanna, Bel and the Dragon, the Letter of Jeremiah to the Chaldean Exiles, and Ecclesiasticus (also known as The Wisdom of Yeshua ben Sirach, written around 190 BC) and many others.

Also found among the scatttered (and tattered) remains of the Dead Sea Scrolls were copies of books known as Pseudipigrapha ("falsely-attributed" writings) where a famous (legendary) person of antiquity is supposed to have penned the book, e.g. I Henoch (a collection of at least 12 different booklets in Hebrew), but where the language of the document is much later than the person who was supposed to have been the author.

Some of these psedopigraphical scrolls include: the Testaments of the 12 Patriarchs, the Testament of Moses (also known as "Jubilees"), the Wisdom of Solomon, the Proverbs of Solomon, the Psalms of Solomon, the Life of Adam and Eve and the Testament of Adam etc.

Just a little eye opener is all...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Link for citing...

Cheers to ATS policy (I move back into the dorms next week, I should have seen this coming)...however, I can explain why I did not use the link (which can also be found in a book). Once you click on the link you might realize why I chose not to include it. I did not want the source becoming the topic of discussion, so if we could all please stick to the message and not where it came from...

scriptures.lds.org...

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
kjv bible 1611 KJV With Apocrypha .pdf

The Lost Books of the Bible and the Forgotten Books of Eden

The Lost Books of the Bible The Hidden Truths

check this out also

GOD BLESS
edit on 23-7-2011 by WeAreNothingWithoutGOD because: (no reason given)

top topics

join