It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it a good idea?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Is it a good idea to make space hotels. Wouldn't having hundreds of civilians in to space be risky. I don't like the fact that private orginizations want to make space into spending leasure time with family. Space is supposed to be taken seriously. A faulty window, an improper sealed door, or a slight change in pressure can kill hundreds of people, unlike on Earth. Do you give it a
or
?

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It'll be a while before we have civillians living in space. By then technology will be far greater. We'll probably be able to make certain planets as safe as Earth. It won't be that risky.

Moving people to space isn't an option, anyway. The Earth is already running out of resources, and can't support man. It'll be a necessity.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
well if its private its up to the company to decide. The Airforce, NASA, or any other government group would not but if a private industry wants to we shouldnt stop them, im sure NASA will look it over for safety sake.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
and if an airplane engine goes out, the plane will just fall to the ground. Privatized space tech is progressing, and progress by it's very nature is good......

I give it

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Look...this is a necessity. According to our "intelligent" scientists...Earth is the only planet that can fully support human life, even though a couple come close. If the human race is to survive, we need to move to space. We do have a countdown ticking down the millenia left for Earth...so even though we do supposedly have a lot of time, this must be taken seriously.

Definitely a

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
It might be nice to travel in orbit for a week or so, but when you talk about living in space, you have to consider the problems of microgravity. Humans lose bone mass around the base of the spine and pelvis at a rate of 1% per month, and there are problems with the circulatory system (enlarged heart) and atrophy of the muscles. Each month in microgravity is equivalent to a month of bed rest, not good for you. Any permanent space facility must have artificial gravity induced by spin, and this presents its own problems with docking, and with gravity being different depending on the distance one is from the spinning axis. I think permanent facilities, not to mention civilian hotels, are a long way off.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
It comes with the territory SpaceAlienatic88. I would imagine the same arguments being made about aircraft 70 years ago. The same argument could/would have been made about ocean ships some number of years ago.

If people have a reason to go/live there, they will find a way.

aside note: Did you know as long as you DON'T hold your breath you can survive in raw space for perhaps a couple of minutes, before you start to actually die.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I don't have a problem about living in space if it comes to a time when we need to, my my problem with this is that space should be taken seriously not as a vacation area.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I think it will be a while before we have functional hotels in orbit. Livivng in any hostile environment needs to approached in a serious manner. The problems with living/working in zero g are numerous and well known. I think if there was a breakthrough in let's say, gravitic control, that would be a huge step towards making space travel/tourism possible and practilcle. Over all private funded space exploration is likely our best bet to get into space.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I'm all for it and it will happen in time. Right now just getting a ticket to go up for a 10 minute orbit would be great - to stay a day or two at a hotel in orbit would be the next step.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   
now.... no, but maybe in the next 100 years or so. a thought just came to me but what class of people will make it to space? the rich, due to the complexities of getting people up, or the poor, build a small colony to make way for the rich on earth, i know that thought is stupid and probably wouldnt happen, but ya never know.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Definetely a

School kids could go on school trips to the moon, being totally safe that is in the year they allow space travel.

But after the first day you would be bored, the first day would be exciting looking at all the rocks and looking at the Earth. But then what would you do?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Depends on the situation of politics I guess, You don't want to have a finished station and have it blown up by a terrorist and watch 10 years of work come crashing down to earth.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I fully support it as well. I agree that it will be a while before it comes to fruition but no single government can do it by themselves anymore. True space travel will proceed when corporations decide they can make a profit and begin investing in earnest.

The Japanese will probably do it first, and yes, there will be risks involved, but no endeavor is truly great without it. I'll be one of the first people to book a room if it ever comes to pass.

top topics

join