It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Locked my keys in my car... best way to open it

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Ok, maybe a stretch but itd be a useful survival skill... how to get into a locked car.

Locked my keys in my 01 hardtop mustang and trying to figure out how to open it up without damaging it. Ive tried one makeshift slim jim with no luck.

Its in my driveway so its not completely urgent but I need to get it open by the end of the weekend. The locksmith is reasonable but I dont want to pay for it and the local Police Station wouldnt open it like they used to years ago. I also tried to get a key from a dealer using the VIN but the car is too old.

Any suggestions?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Is a new driver's window cheaper than a locksmith

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Try to find a metal wire that is as thick and as rigid as an antenna. Bend the first 2 inches in to a hook, stick it between the rubber and the window and try to locate the bar that is attached to the mechanism that opens the door. Jiggle the hook under it and pull up. It is not an acurate method, but it usualy gets the job done.
edit on 3-9-2011 by 2Faced because: Might only work on older models!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Usually a hanger works, it will ruin the weather stripping if your not careful. Just take your time on it. I've locked myself out, I don't know how many times.

I had an old firebird but it has the same set up as the mustang.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

Haha this is awesome, I also Drive an 01 Mustang!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Look on youtube, there may be some MacGyver trick you can use..

The way it's usually done, is a balloon slides in between the door where the latch is, and air helps to pry it apart slightly, while another tool goes in to unlatch the door..

A tow truck driver would likely have this kit.. So if you have AAA or something, or know one, that would work.
edit on 9/3/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Try Open says me

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Okay..........try the hanger routine, you know stick a hanger through the window and get your keys.......if that doesn't work I don't know what to tell you.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
1st - get a can of gasoline.

2nd - pour it on your car.

3rd - set it on fire.

Works every time.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
i once locked my keys in my car while it was running im glad i wasn't far from home and had a SPARE KEY.
they cost what 10-15 bucks unless u have a lazer cut key don't know much about those.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
You can try wacking the bumper with a lump hammer really hard, the airbags will go off and the central locking will open the car. You will need a craft knife or similar to remove the used airbags mind. Disclaimer - I havnt actually tried this, just heard from a friend!
edit on 3-9-2011 by chaztekno because: bad spelling - too early in the morning

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
One big ass rock always solves the problem

It's a stress relief as well.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

As said hanger with a hook through the window rubber should do it Just keep playing with it till you hook it

Here is some videos of folks doing it:

www.youtube.com...
edit on 3-9-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Get a razor blade.

Carefully, use a plunger and some water to hold the windshield in place.

Cut the rubber seal holding your windshield in.

Use plunger to lift windshield out of frame.

You're in.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

i'm sorry my suggestion won't help you right here right now, but for the future

1. staple a copy of your car and house key to a board under your porch deck or other hidden area

2. get AAA's best coverage package. it's cheap and they will get you out of trouble multiple times per year, tow you, help you plan trips, give you coupons, etcetera. i never thought to do so in younger days, but now that i'm an old fart i appreciate the piece of mind AAA provides. and i've had several vehicles towed over the years, no charge, it's worth every penny

-- if you don't find an answer that will work to open your door, call the local car dealer. they know everything about the car and maybe they can help.

-- go with a friend to a local working mans bar. you can usually find someone willing to open your car door for a few drinks. don't go to dive bars by yourself, take a friend or two. slip the guy a $20 for his time after he's done.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Locksmiths, especially for cars, are outrageously priced. I locked my keys in my car a few years ago and found out that most tow truck drivers carry an heavy-duty inflatable bag in their trucks designed for just this type of thing. They wedge the uninflated bag between the door jam and the car's frame and then pump it up. This forces the top of your window away from the car frame, and you can stick your arm through the gap to unlock your car.

If you don't know anyone who runs a tow truck, go to a local tow company (don't call) and take a guy off to the side and slip him $20 to hook you up. OR, if you have AAA or a similar roadside assistance plan, you can call them and have them send out a tow truck that will do just what I described. The trick is, with AAA at least, you CAN NOT be in your own driveway or they won't pay for it. That's easy enough to get around; simply roll your car out of the driveway before the tow truck gets there.

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries

2. get AAA's best coverage package. it's cheap and they will get you out of trouble multiple times per year, tow you, help you plan trips, give you coupons, etcetera. i never thought to do so in younger days, but now that i'm an old fart i appreciate the piece of mind AAA provides. and i've had several vehicles towed over the years, no charge, it's worth every penny

TOTALLY! For my birthday every year since I was 16, my mom has paid for my AAA membership. It has saved my bacon more times than I can count. Whether it was locking my keys in the car, running out of gas (DUH!,) or getting stuck so far in the woods that I had to give them GPS coordinates so they could find me, AAA has always come through for me. I remember when I first got it, it was like $25 a year or something; even if it's $50 now, it is still a worthwhile investment.

I've also used their trip planning service, and their Traveler's Cheques, which are replaced at face value should they be lost or stolen. It's a great way to keep your cash safe on a long trip. Being a AAA member also gets you some pretty sweet discounts on hotels and rental cars too.

From one old fart to another... CHEERS!

edit on 9/3/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
get yourself a real slim jim buddy.

edit on 3-9-2011 by illuminatislave because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Well I found a guy that says he will do it tomorrow with an airbag and not damage the car for $10. Guess Ill go with that. A little disappointed that I couldnt figure it out alone.

I also failed to mention the car has no power, I pulled the battery out to charge it when I locked the keys in the damn trunk.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Saw a really cool trick on a movie called 3 days later last night.

U heat a key and poke a hole in a tennis ball so the size is about the same as the keyhole on your car, you put the hole on the tennis ball over the keyhole and whack the tennis ball a few times.

Dont know if this actually works or not but it looked cool and convincing.

P.s how do we know you arent gonna use this info to break into others peoples cars?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join