Locked my keys in my car... best way to open it

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

smash the windscreen?? not to sound horrible but that has to be the most unnecessary and difficult solution to the problem.. (for many reasons)

hey op did you get into your car? what method did you use?

In the states they have to replace it for free and you can usually get 24 hour on the spot service. May seem drastic but it works.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Havent popped her yet. Its storming outside so havent tried anything. The guy is supposed tobcome this afternoon with the airbag and slim jim but i wont make him do it in the rain.

My battery is disconnected so aiming for the unlock button wont work.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Check your insurance policy to see if you have roadside assistance reimbursement. Many policies today offer the same roadside benefits as AAA written right into your policy. You'll have to pay up front, but will get reimbursed by submitting your receipt.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

Well, the problem's probably solved by now, but I'll put in my two cents anyway..

A good friend of mine who was once a city tow truck driver helped me get into my car after I'd locked my keys in did it with simple flatware from the kitchen- a couple of sturdy forks and a butter knife. He actually bent the whole door out enough to slip his hand in to pull the lock, and the door popped right back in place- no damage done! I was amazed. He told me that this works on most all vehicles, although there are exceptions. This experience was quite a few years ago, and I don't know if it still holds true.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
For future reference:

I always keep a spare key in my wallet...
I keep it there because it's the one thing I take with me everywhere, and while I MIGHT lock my wallet OR my keys in the car accidentally, there isn't much chance that I'll leave them BOTH in the car at the same time.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
rock----------------> window

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Ace hardware sells a car door unlock kit for about $15.

If you do it often get some big strong magnets and stick it under your car out of the way where it wont get noticed. You might want to leave the ace hardware receipt in the kit. Some field officers are a little slow understanding what legal and whats not.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Are the keys in ignition? My car doesn't lock itself if keys are in the ignition...

What happened to your second spare key...?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Way to many of our detailers do this. I have a rubber wedge, and I use a long straight end screwdriver wrapped up in a shop rag. I then use the screwdriver at the top of the door frame, and pop out the door a little and I can then get my wedge in there. I then use a rubber mallet to hammer in the wedge to get the desired spacing I want. I have a metal rod I use, but you can use a metal hanger. If it has power locks I usually go for that button first. If not I go in hook first and hook the door handle, or lock depending on orientation.

Make sure you do not force the door! You could bend the door, or if you do not have an upper door frame, you could break the glass!!!

If worse comes to worse, the best option you would have, short of calling AAA, or asking a police officer with the equipment to do so. You would have to break a _ The cheapest window on any vehicle is going to be a front door _ I have yet to resort to breaking the glass. Just take your time and dont get frustrated and you will become an expert real quick.

ETA:

If am pretty sure you don't have an upper door frame. So you have to really be gentle with it, but you can get more movement with a window, because the window tracks can flex, and the glass will to (to certain amount). So you would have to use the screwdriver with rag, to get the desired spacing. Or even two screwdrivers and then stick something rubber in between the window and the roof.

Good Luck
edit on 3-9-2011 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy

For future reference:

I always keep a spare key in my wallet...
I keep it there because it's the one thing I take with me everywhere, and while I MIGHT lock my wallet OR my keys in the car accidentally, there isn't much chance that I'll leave them BOTH in the car at the same time.

Have 3 keys, 2 spares.

Keep the one spare in your wallet/purse as normal , but give the last spare to a friend or family member.

It's always good to have backup backups.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Don't phone a locksmith!!!!

Yikes that would be expensive. Phone a tow truck company and they should be able to help.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
If you have a Tennis Ball around you can open it this way.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

You call the police to use a "slim jim" on it. Buy your own "slim jim" or make one. Use a clothes hanger and force it through the weather stripping at the top of the window and push the door lock button if it's a power lock. Grab a brick and break a _ Plan in advance for the problem and keep a spare in your wallet or in a hide a key box somewhere on the car. Any questions?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CristoBuddha
If you have a Tennis Ball around you can open it this way.

Maybe if you had really strong breath/lung pressure , and could reach the right PSI required to flip the lock, you could just put your mouth up to it and blow really hard.

From what I can tell the trick uses air pressure, so there are more ways than a tennis ball to accomplish that.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This thread has created a whole new gang (non-corporatation) of car thiefs
edit on 3-9-2011 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
If you have a back seat that at least partially folds down, you should try going through the boot lock, its only 10 bux to replace

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
if the door lock is at the top of the door you can get some plastic packing tape the type that is used to wrap around large boxes.
fold it in the middle wriggle it between the seal of the door and the door next to the inside door lock
once it is through push on one side of the tape and you will start to form a loop inside the car
get this loop over the door lock then pull the loop tight around door lock
you should now be able to pull on both sides of tape at once and unlock your car
hope that was explained well enough

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Yeah, but only temporary. I don't suggest throwing a big ass rock at the insurance adjustor.

CJ

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jstanthrno1
Well I found a guy that says he will do it tomorrow with an airbag and not damage the car for $10. Guess Ill go with that. A little disappointed that I couldnt figure it out alone.

I also failed to mention the car has no power, I pulled the battery out to charge it when I locked the keys in the damn trunk.

Well i got no idea what year model is your mustang,but as u mention airbags,and 01,i persume it is 2001modell. But if u got a central locking system it is easy...
www.youtube.com...

write if u succeed...

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join