It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyeborg Documentary: The Cutting Edge of Prosthetics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
In 2008 filmmaker Rob Spence announced he would insert a camera into his skull where his former prosthetic eye was located. Instead of connecting the camera to his brain, he decided he wanted to become a so-called "lifecaster" and record the feed on an external device. Now he has made a short film showcasing the cutting edge of prosthetics, and it is really impressive what scientists have managed to come up with. The video compares every prosthetic against that of the protagonist of the game Deus Ex. And they claim we will be able to do those exact things within a couple of decades. We're not there as of yet, but I've got to say alot of peoples' lifes are getting vastly improved because of these inventions.

One of the more gross prosthetics is the guy with an implanted chip on his retina, but it is way cool when you see how it works.

Here's the short film:

And here is the Sou rce article.

If I were a child, I would definitely have liked to have the "terminator vision". If the scientists are correct, all of us might be walking around identifying which persons clothes would fit us within a few years. And of course saying "I need you clothes, your boots and your motorcycle."

edit on 1/9/11 by Droogie because: Source

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Definitely very cool I think its a great idea. I remember a movie with Robin Williams about this on some level. Can't remember the name exactly.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Absolutely pointless and misdirected technology.
We need to be focusing on regrowing limbs altogether, not creating computerized prosthetics.

This is similar to our quest to design a car that gets a hundered MPG.
It's not solving the problem, it is merely putting a band-aid on it.
We need to be focusing on designing personal aircraft that are powered by antigravity technology as well as free energy.

We have the technology to SOLVE these problems, IMO of course.
In this world we LOVE Band-aids and we hate cures.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mimefromhell

I think you might be referring to Bicentennial Man? I think that was about an android though, and not a human becoming more like a machine.

reply to post by Screwed

At about the 5:30 mark, they talk about cloning new limbs, and that too will be a reality within the same timeframe. I do not agree with you, when you say that the technology is pointless and misdirected. It's the best thing we can offer at the moment, and many lives benefit from this technology. Besides, we are also talking about inventions and discoveries here, and we can't predict what that ultimately will mean for our future. So to say that it is misdirected and pointless is quite frankly a bit close minded.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I disagree, watch the video there are some very slick things happening. and they stuff they are doing *now*
is very cool. cloning, limb regen, and cyborged limbs are all at high levels of research.

which ones pan out, work well etc we will have to see.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I hope they ALL pan out. If someone looses a limb or wants to replace it with something better they should have the choice of either cloning or prosthetics or genetic engineering or all of the above. Trans humanism is coming people. After that we just have to wait for the singularity and the emergence of Sapient AI.

top topics

join