It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Graders Handcuffed At Chicago School, Told They Were Going To Prison: Lawsuit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
reply to post by Agarta

What is the difference between this and a "Scared Straight" program?

Scared Straight programs are targeted at groups of juvenile delinquents, to show them possible outcomes if their behavior doesn't change.

In this case, the children were talking out of turn, hardly delinquent behavior.
Individual six year-olds (not a group) were handcuffed, isolated, and told they would never see their parents again.

Had they been told that their disruptive behavior could someday lead to more dire consequences, then we might have a comparison to Scared Straight.

How many of you parents have had a child throw a fit in public? What do you do? Spank them in front of everyone? Remove them until they calm down? Let them throw their fit without giving them attention disrupting all those around?

The answer would be "Remove them until they calm down".
In my child's school, it is called a time out.
They are not, however, cuffed and isolated, while being told they will never see their parents again.

I feel the parents could have sat their children down and helped them learn that this is what happens when you cause a public disturbance or break the law.

There was no law broken, and even causing a public disturbance (as an adult, not a six year-old) does not carry this type of penalty.

How is a group formed? Isn't it by placing together individuals? And it is in your own words

Scared Straight programs are targeted at groups of juvenile delinquents, to show them possible outcomes if their behavior doesn't change.
. And why can it not be done in an individual basis?

I do not deny this is an extreme at all, but I also think that the deterrents today are not "cutting" it. Maybe we need to lower the ages of the "Scared Straight" programs.

I honestly think it was/is a case of lack of communication between the school and the parents. I know if this happened to my children I would be at the school in half the time it normally takes to get there questioning them why, if I was not notified and given the choice to allow my child to be held to this type of punishment, but regardless I would expect to be notified immediately if it was put into practice, which by the article the parents were not.

I just think that the school system is running out of options as to how to punish. Yes there is "time out" and that works for most, but there will always be those few that it does not work on. Sending them to the principles office may not work either due to the "You're not my Mom/Dad" argument from the child.

This is a situation where the school system took matters into their own hands without the notification or permission of the parents, for that they need to be put back in their place. It does bring into light an issue that we as adults need to evaluate and update the program.

As for no law broken, there are places, such as a court room, that it is against the law to just speak out of turn and this lesson, as to not disrupt, is an issue that needs to be learned. To this extent?, maybe not, but again it comes down to us parents setting the guidelines as to how our children can be punished by the school system. What works? What doesn't? This is what we need to define and change the policies, but I am in agreement that the schools should not take this into their own hands without parents consent.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
They were told they were going to prison? Um.....school IS prison. Homeschooling is the way to go.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

This brought to mind an incident that happened here in Iowa a few years ago. Two teenage boys called for a cab. When they got to where they were going they had no cab fare. The taxi driver called the cops at which time the two teenagers jumped out of the taxi leaving their 6 yr. old brother. When the cops got there they arrested the 6 yr old and took him to jail and filed theft charges against him. The public defender couldn't believe what the cops and the prosecutor was doing. He asked why are they doing this and their comment was it was theft and he needed taught a lesson. Lesson in what how to hate all authority?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
how do you get CPS "stations" in schools? you have security fk up and they get sued. now they have to make sure the schools are properly "protecting" them too

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

The kid is under 10 years of age......

I'd be suing the Police Dept and Prosecutor's office, then off to the UN if only to make a racket because charging a child under the age of 10 for any crime is in fact illegal under the Geneva convention.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

It sucks what happened, but I really really think your over thinking that.
One incident won't change their life that much, if it was repeated over and over again, then yes.
Sure it will cause trauma to them, but it's not going to turn them into raged filled people.......

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

They were disruptive because they were little kids.
Little kids are rambuncqous and disruptive it's normal. No need to bring your looney conspiracies to this.....
Get a grib man

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Chicago Mayor Rom Emanuel must be so proud of his educational program right now.Why haven't we heard anything from him or the "anointed one?"

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by eywadevotee
So it's OK to inflict permanent psychological trauma on children by the state, but it's not OK to to spank your own children if they rightly deserve it without risking child abuse? What is this world coming to?

The needs of your child can best be determined and administered by the State. That is all you need to know. Get back to work.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
educators at all levels are completely out of touch with what is acceptable. the halls of academia somehow shield them from the real world and they operate as if they were the rulers of their own little country, as if they're some ultimate authority. that's easy to do when your loyal subjects are 6 years old; until you realize that, in your zeal for power over children, you've stepped way over the line and the REAL authorities come for you. not to mention the older brothers, uncles, and fathers of these kids you've fake-arrested, handcuffed and terrorized. the phrase "run and hide" comes to mind. good luck Board of Education

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters
Whehe land of the free my *ss. You guys seriously have messed up your country. Guards at school, WITH handcuffs ??? Maybe even a nightstick or a GUN ???

Damn, police state anyone ?

What happened to those children is wrong. Those involved should be prosecuted for child abuse. In response to the gaurds in school comment. Last year my daughter was in 3rd grade. The school had no security. Some as#hole walked into the school and walked right out the door with a 7 year old girl. The teachers found out and chased the guy down and held him until police arrived. They now have an armed policeman on school grounds all the time. I am thankful for him being there. Police state NO. Protect the children YES.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Ok I can understand police in high schools and maybe even jr high schools but elementry school??? with 6 and 7 year olds??? that is a bit ridiculos. Especially at that age are these like super human kids or somethin where an adult has to use handcuffs on them WTF? That is stupid

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I recommend that people who have kids, put a micro transmitter or even a hidden spycam on kids who they think may be subjected to any nutty or inappropriate "teaching"

I will be doing this with my daughter, unless she attends a very credible private school..

If something bad is found, you could pay the perp a clandestine visit wearing a ski mask and take care of the issue privately, don't even mention who they may have abused, just that they abused a student.. Be pro..

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
This is just another reason to home school your children When you send your child to public school you forefit your parental rights.In other words you give the state authority to "act" on you'r behalf. BTW: you are an abuser if you spank your child,but the state can, as they know better than you. I was trammatised as a small child in school a few times and it haunts me to this day! Those incidents did not compare to what was done to these children in one day!
edit on 2-9-2011 by beammeup because: missing word to complete a sentance

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Water boarding is not torture... corporations are individuals... banks are too big to fail, but people are not... Imprisonment without being charged ..Gays must FIGHT for equal rights, trying children as adults then putting them to death ...handcuffing 6 year olds and berating them.

sounds like par for the course.

Peace

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Poor kid's, I'm surprised a mob of angry parents didn't make their way to the school and exact a little justice.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

This is a very warped version of the "scared strait program".

Not cool

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

Really ?

So when they become teens and start attacking people at a State Fair, then what ?

Call them a bunch of wild gangstas like everyone here did with the Milwaukee incident ?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I remember when I was 6, the bus driver freaked out at me because my leg was in the walk way. I was talking to my friend, then i heard the grungiest looking man freak out and I couldn't even understand him. I was shattered for days, and still remember it as being one of the most scariest moments in my life. Of course I've had worst experinces sience then, but I was so young I just didn't understand.

Hey, lets get a bunch of guys dress up as taliban, and waterboard this cop. That'll set the record straight I'm sure.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

It's the concept of development via age that matters...Did you think about this issue thoroughly?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join