It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WH Spin: 'BIPARTISAN BICKERING' to blame for Obama scheduling speech same night as debate.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
You gotta hand it to them, they are the spin masters. Although I'm not sure anyone will be fooled by this. Apparently, the whole fiasco between the Republican debate and Obama's speech is not Obama's fault for picking a day that conflicted with a previously scheduled event, but it's all the congress's fault for bipartisan bickering (so does that mean he's also blaming the democrats for his mistake as well?).

www.palmbeachpost.com...

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama's chief spokesman says the dust-up with House Republicans over the timing of Obama's economic speech to Congress dramatizes why "people are fed up" with Washington.

"Americans are sick and tired of the partisan bickering"

Always the humble one, never blaming the other side, always willing to admit when he's wrong...oh wait, who am I talking about again? Certainly not Obama.

edit on 1-9-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

ya, obama can't get out of MV a day earlier.

sorry to bother you POTUS, you do work for us, remember?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Have you seen his latest stupid idea? A Whitehouse Web Page (wonder if it will cost us 18,000,000 like the last one) for people to sign petitions and once they have 5000 signatures (0.0014% of the population) then the White House will take action (screw Congress right?)

Idiots...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This is just another installment of the dog and pony show.

This orchestrated bickering is being laid in front of you to anger you. One more push toward public incitement and unrest.

The plan is to have the politicos stall the people with utter nonsense while their masters finish the looting. By the time the furor begins, it will be too late. The money, the old way of life, everything will be gone.

Hopefully for some of us, the bread will not be stale, and the soup will not be cold.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave
This is just another installment of the dog and pony show.

This orchestrated bickering is being laid in front of you to anger you. One more push toward public incitement and unrest.

The plan is to have the politicos stall the people with utter nonsense while their masters finish the looting. By the time the furor begins, it will be too late. The money, the old way of life, everything will be gone.

Hopefully for some of us, the bread will not be stale, and the soup will not be cold.

Yeah, they can point fingers all they want, but I think more fingers are being pointed at them then they can point at us. This not only shows they are afraid of the Republican debate (I'll choose to believe it has something to do with Ron Paul), but now they are sticking their foot further in their mouth when it was already there to begin with.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Low class move by the administration. Didn't even inform Congress before making the announcement, and trying to preempt a Republican debate. This is like inviting yourself over to a friends house on their wedding night.

Schoolyard bully tactics....plain and simple.

Glad Boehner shut this man-child down!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Yet republicans are as usual blameless in this?

Obama sent both Boehner and Reid letters requesting Sept. 7 to meet with Congress. Reid replies affirmative, Boehner never bothered to reply. So Obama announces his schedule, then Boehner on cue pulls out the weepy eyes and starts whining about not being consulted. Then he fires back an alternate date, he himself never bothers to consult with Reid of Pelosi on his date.

Obviously Washington is dysfunctional with both sides to blame, but the level of ineptness coming out of Boehner's office is of epic proportions. Nowhere in Boehner's response letter does he mention the schedule conflict being due to the GOP debate, instead he blames it on needing more time to conduct a security sweep of the house floor? That's laughable, considering the house was already going to be in session that day, with a vote scheduled for 6:30 PM.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This has bugged me since yesterday...but now I see the "brilliance" of this fiasco.

There IS NO "new" jobs plan...so "the speech" will be hidden (around the NFL game) and after the Republicans debate (so much for discussion of the idiocy of whatever the "Plan" actually is).

Its kinda like hiding in plain sight...but with political brinksmanship and media water carrying. It really is "brilliant" in a high schoolish kinda way.

I wish they had left it WEdnesday night, and as some had suggested, had the Republicans ANSWER Obama...point by point.

Ron Paul, Michelle Bachmann would shred it; don't know enough about Parry to say what he would do; Romney would be "proud" that ObamaCare is RomneyCare on steroids. It would be for the most part, scathing.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Obama sent both Boehner and Reid letters requesting Sept. 7 to meet with Congress. Reid replies affirmative, Boehner never bothered to reply. So Obama announces his schedule, then Boehner on cue pulls out the weepy eyes and starts whining about not being consulted. Then he fires back an alternate date, he himself never bothers to consult with Reid of Pelosi on his date.

Obviously Washington is dysfunctional with both sides to blame, but the level of ineptness coming out of Boehner's office is of epic proportions. Nowhere in Boehner's response letter does he mention the schedule conflict being due to the GOP debate, instead he blames it on needing more time to conduct a security sweep of the house floor? That's laughable, considering the house was already going to be in session that day, with a vote scheduled for 6:30 PM.

Real simple question: which one was scheduled first? The answer is the debate. So how is this Boehner's fault again?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This has to be one of the biggest non stories of the year for me. Really, this is what we consider news now people? President wanted to talk on a certain date. "Sorry Pres, short notice lets push it back a day". Ok fine. End of story. But its made into a huge deal over nothing and jobbers and MSM on both sides of the aisle decide this is news and take the time to shoot jabs at one another. Please a scheduling miscue, drop it already.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrStyx
This has to be one of the biggest non stories of the year for me. Really, this is what we consider news now people? President wanted to talk on a certain date. "Sorry Pres, short notice lets push it back a day". Ok fine. End of story. But its made into a huge deal over nothing and jobbers and MSM on both sides of the aisle decide this is news and take the time to shoot jabs at one another. Please a scheduling miscue, drop it already.

I think you are missing the fact that it was scheduled the same day as a debate that had been scheduled for weeks prior to Obama's announcement. Also, if Obama would have just walked away this would be a non-story, instead, he blamed 'bipartisan bickering' a catchy punch line to deflect from his blunder. If he wanted to compete with the debate, all he had to do was give a speech via youtube or the white house home page or any other television network, it didn't have to be in front of the congress.
edit on 1-9-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

How is it Boehner's fault? Well Boehner's Fault is a small, seismic offshoot of Bush's Fault...which is always quaking due to the Tea Parties' Fault.

It has been documented, in the msm, that there is NO Obama's Fault in DC (or anywhere else).

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrStyx

Are you saying the Obama administration is so inept that they didn't realize that this was the date of the Republican debate which was scheduled months ago?

If that is what you are saying....cool. But I believe they are much more devious than that.

Honest mistake? Right.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
There are several views on who really has the power.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/510d79b26467.png[/atsimg]

If the reader is unable to support the president in his efforts to represent the average American citizen, then who or what is the real power in this country. Should we tell the Banks to create jobs? The Military? The UN? Whom?

David Grouchy

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Yes. Just one question. Did Obama know that a Republican debate had been scheduled for Sept 7th at 8:00pm? The answers - NO - Neither Obama nor anyone in his enormously large staff focused on reelection had any idea that his opponents had a scheduled debate or YES - he knew and wanted to upstage them and reduce the number of viewers of the debate.

That is it. Either you are enormously naive by saying YES or you admit that Obama did a low class move far beneath the dignity of the Oval office.

I notice on liberal leaning sites NO ONE mentions this as being low class. They would FLIP out if Bush has done this so its all politics. I despise hypocrites and there is no shortage of them in this topic. They all seem to think its A-OK for Obama but would have been evil had Bush done it? Yeah alright. How about being honest for a change.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

So what. Like I said non story. No presidency has been more politicized then this one right now from talking to school children to scheduling conflicts. Its nothing in the long line of our problems in the states. Jobs should have been priority one on the republican agenda at least that was part of their surge in 2010 elections. Yet they are more focused on sharia law and meaningless law passing gestures and pledges which don't help anyone at all. I also agree when dems had it they did nothing with it either, but you can blame the good old filibuster tactic for most of it and the rest on lack of backbone.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Sept. 7 is the first day Congress reconvenes. There is a vote scheduled for that day at 6:30 PM. It would make sense then for the pres. to try and schedule an address to a joint session.

How nice for the GOP candidates to skive off work for their campaigns. Here's a question, why would the GOP schedule a debate for the first day Congress is back in session? Do they even plan on showing up and casting votes?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
Have you seen his latest stupid idea? A Whitehouse Web Page (wonder if it will cost us 18,000,000 like the last one) for people to sign petitions and once they have 5000 signatures (0.0014% of the population) then the White House will take action (screw Congress right?)

Idiots...

That could be fun. Someone could petition for a full, independent, unbiased investigation into the 9/11.

Or, to reinstate the Constitution...

Or - produce the original birth certificate and social security details....

Or appoint Judge Napolitano as Head of the DOJ.

Of course, they might well manipulate the figures to try to show that only a small percentage of the public support any action which they don't like. ROFL.
edit on 1-9-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Sept. 7 is the first day Congress reconvenes. There is a vote scheduled for that day at 6:30 PM. It would make sense then for the pres. to try and schedule an address to a joint session.

How nice for the GOP candidates to skive off work for their campaigns. Here's a question, why would the GOP schedule a debate for the first day Congress is back in session? Do they even plan on showing up and casting votes?

If they are there during the day why can't they do a debate at night? And besides, the congress took the entire month of August off! So are you really going to complain that they don't go in on the first day back? (which they probably will, I know at least Ron Paul will be there).

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

No I'm saying this story is so dumb and inconsequential that its only use is fodder for political zealots to bicker over. You want to speak of slights, then lets talk how the POTUS cant address school children as many in the past or lets talk about how the First lady can champion fitness as a cause yet its ridiculed into the ground...... On and on and on , back and forth yadda yadda yadda. But guess what still no jobs, still crappy economy. Lets find better topics and causes to champion and move forward.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join