It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre pet behaviour.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Hello, all. This is my very first thread and I really didn't know where it would fit in so if this is in the wrong place. Please, moderators could you sort it accordingly and sorry for the trouble.

Anyways, as I stated in the title. I am the proud owner of two cats and two Canines. I have a 13 year old Dalmation, named Nimpo and a 6 year old Black and Tan Coon hound x Border Collie named Brody. I haven't particularly noticed the felines acting odd, more so my Dogs, but my fiance said the cats have been queer lately as well.

I will start with Nimpo. As I said she is getting old, so maybe it's simply her age and a bit of my superstitious nature but she hasn't been herself at all. She's a usually very calm, very well mannered dog and lately she's quite skiddish. Often in the morning I will awake to find her curled up either under or beside the bed in the guest bedroom. Now, this is odd as She's always loved her bed and she's never gone in the guest room, let alone under the bed. She knows she isn't allowed in there but she seems to be trying to hide from something. I've also found her curled up between the sofa and love chair underneath the small table that is between them. Now, this is the weird part. She shakes. Sometimes it's just a little quiver here and there, but tonight it's full on convulsive terrorized shaking. Now, I know she's old and perhaps that's the cause but it seemingly started up overnight and when she's standing and the shaking happens she tucks her tail right up under herself tight against her stomach. I find this odd. She's been such a happy friendly loving dog. Now she's skiddish and hides all the time. I just don't get it.

Now as for Brody. Brody is my baby, always has and always will be. She is very energetic and very loving, always wagging her tail and wants to play. Never has a care in the world unless you have hidden her toys, then all hell breaks loose. She will whine and bay at the occasional coon, squirrel or robin in the yard and even the mail man from time to time, but she has also taken a very different personality as of late. She's never more than a few feet from me, and not in that loving play with me " I love you so much " kind of way. Right now she is curled up in a tight ball under my feet as I type on my laptop. She has to be close by or else she wines and wines, and when we go outside instead of trotting around the yard proudly she stands as close to me as she can, especially at night. During the day if I bring out a ball I can get her to play and act more like herself, but if I just go out for a smoke and leave her be she's just not right.

Now both of these dogs have never acted like this before, yes there are bears, coyotes, possums, raccoons, skunks and all of the lovely British Columbian wildlife I and every other canadian are familiar with and I haven't noticed any of them hanging around more than usual. Not that they would really bother my dogs, last spring they chased a black bear up a tree so I'm stumped. Just figured I'd ask if anyone else has noticed their pets acting odd. Any ideas ? I'm out of them. I even had mum over and did a good cleansing in-case the problem was a devious spirit.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Are you in a EQ zone . I have 3 cats . One follows me around and wants to eat a lot and the other one hides under beds and runs away from me which is unusal for her own place .

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Anusuia

Well, offshore BC is considered an EQ zone, I'm quite a ways inland though. Do you think that could be it ? I'm in Mission, BC. I don't believe it's in an EQ zone, however I guess we would feel some sort of seismic activity where I am. I do live on a mountain.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Do you have a lot of wireless devices and or cell phone towers in your area? These things drive bees crazy, maybe that's what's happening to your pets? Just a guess, with all the new and advanced technology constantly going up, it's not hard to believe it could do something to the brain.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I'd go to a vetinarian to rule out your dog is sick.. That way you can atleast make sure it's not a health issue..

As for the other dog and cat's, they could simply be reacting to your first dog being ill? (If you got multiple pets they can behave like a pack..)
edit on 1-9-2011 by Elexio because: typo

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
i have heard that animals behave strangely when earth quakes are due they look for missing pets in the paper to predict quakes now .i live in the scottish highlands and no birds have been in to feed since friday which i find odd as its normaly quiet busy out my back garden but yhe nuts etc have not been touched .animals aint as daft as some people think .dont let your dogs drink water outside as i read an article about a guy whos pets became ill & nearly died i think they were lathargic to cant remember much about it sorry

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
My pets ( 4 dogs, 3 cats, 2 turtles) are responsive to earthquakes, but don't react before...I live in a City (if that is a variable) and we've had over 8000 in the past year. I haven't noticed any odd avian behaviour either.
edit on 1-9-2011 by aorAki because: avian behaviour

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
OK, going to throw this one in to the mix - is this somehow related to the lack/non-presence of birds?

There is someone on here from BC who is also reporting the lack of birds.
In fact, people from various parts of the world have reported no, or very little birds left in their area.

Do you think there would be any connection?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Distemper .And if so they will get worse and they will pass away.
The shaking is one of the arly systems.
Ps even though they may have gotton the shots that doesnt meen its impossible for them to get it and once one dog has it quickly spreds to all dogs .
Just hope im wrong and dont know what im talking about

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Have to be honest with you. Animals which begin suddenly to shake are usually in pain. I would take your older dog to the vet and have it checked. Could be arthritis setting in, or could be something else, but why not rule it out? At least then you would know.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ilyich

Always pay attention to your animals...they know more than you...I dont know enough about your turf to say what they are sensing.....my Shepherds run the show at night or when i cant see something...if they dont like it,we dont go get it....if they want it,I go with them with a 12 ga....but I pay attention to their moods and attitudes...a few years ago my patrol shepherd/partner saved my butt in a nasty wildlife situation...all i did was pay attention to what he was trying to tell me....you either do or you dont but either way you will elarn your lesson sooner or later

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby
OK, going to throw this one in to the mix - is this somehow related to the lack/non-presence of birds?

In fact, people from various parts of the world have reported no, or very little birds left in their area.

Now that i think of it i haven't seen a bird in a long long time. not a robin, nor pigeon not even a crow..... weird.... especially considering there is lots of woods and greenspace where i live.... really weird.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by gandamack2
reply to post by Ilyich

Always pay attention to your animals...they know more than you...I dont know enough about your turf to say what they are sensing.....my Shepherds run the show at night or when i cant see something...if they dont like it,we dont go get it....if they want it,I go with them with a 12 ga....but I pay attention to their moods and attitudes...a few years ago my patrol shepherd/partner saved my butt in a nasty wildlife situation...all i did was pay attention to what he was trying to tell me....you either do or you dont but either way you will elarn your lesson sooner or later

My dogs are my best friends and i do pay attention to them as much as possible but I can't figure out why they are acting like this. They are completely changed, and it's got myself freaked out as most often I use them as an early warning for anything I myself do not want to encounter. They are both curled up practically on top of one another under my feet as I type this reply. I think maybe the EQ idea could be a good guess I like in British columbia canada. I thought i mentioned that in the post. To be more specific mission up the side of a mountain.

As to the comment about distemper, they both just had a check up and we re did their flea program a few days ago but we've been treating them the same way for years and had no problem with the medictions. The Vet said they were both in sound health. The Dalmation is getting a little old and her hips aren't what they used to be but they were fine at the vet and checked out well but thank you for the heads up.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ilyich

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby

Now that i think of it i haven't seen a bird in a long long time. not a robin, nor pigeon not even a crow..... weird.... especially considering there is lots of woods and greenspace where i live.... really weird.

Maybe it's getting close to migration season..

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Ilyich

You have an issue somewhere in your area that needs to be looked into for sure....your dogs ebhavior is wrong and out-of-the-norm and shows you/family may be in danger..its not anything that can be solved on a forum unless other animals in the area(domestics,not wild)are doing the same thing...you dont mention if neighbors/near-by town residents dogs are doing the same thing?...If its only your house,you have visitors they are afraid of...if its a town or regional thing,then its out of your hands....has the local newspaper mentioned anything?..If a lot of peoples pets freaked out,Id think a local rag would run a story on it....

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Look at my sig!!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandamack2
reply to post by Ilyich

You have an issue somewhere in your area that needs to be looked into for sure....your dogs ebhavior is wrong and out-of-the-norm and shows you/family may be in danger..its not anything that can be solved on a forum unless other animals in the area(domestics,not wild)are doing the same thing...you dont mention if neighbors/near-by town residents dogs are doing the same thing?...If its only your house,you have visitors they are afraid of...if its a town or regional thing,then its out of your hands....has the local newspaper mentioned anything?..If a lot of peoples pets freaked out,Id think a local rag would run a story on it....

I suppose being late September it is close, but we usually have a very mild winter here. I get snow up here on the mountain, but down in town at most there is a week of snow, and the crows stay all year. This could be a logical explanation but I can't recall seeing a bird for a long while now. My humming bird feeder is still reasonably full ( the loss most likely is evaporation. ) As well our seed feeder in the willow looks untouched, and the crows usually pillage that as soon as they discover it. I'm not trying to claim something crazy is going on but this is weird. I'm usually up early ( 7-8am I know that's not incredibly early but early enough) and see the robins picking for worms and other critters in the lawn and I can't recall seeing any. I wouldn't have thought anything of this had anyone mentioned it, and I haven't seen one bird since the post. At least by my place.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
My pets ( 4 dogs, 3 cats, 2 turtles) are responsive to earthquakes, but don't react before...I live in a City (if that is a variable) and we've had over 8000 in the past year. I haven't noticed any odd avian behaviour either.
edit on 1-9-2011 by aorAki because: avian behaviour

A little off topic, but I wanted to tell you, that you have a beautiful Rhodie!!! I'm very jealous.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
how far away are you from the eq in alaska as the crow flies. how are your pets now

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
As a few other have said, please please please take your oldest dog to the vet for a checkup.

When animals change their routine, a lot of the time its down to their health. Your oldest dog could be in pain / ill and the other dog is reacting to it. Or maybe your ill and thats why your younger dog is being so clingy.

Rule out the norm before you look for the unusual answers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join