It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Faces Life In Jail For Recording Police

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+49 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Man Faces Life In Jail For Recording Police

www.infowars.com

41-year old Illinois mechanic Michael Allison faces life in jail for recording police officers after authorities hit him with eavesdropping charges based on the hoax that it is illegal to film cops, a misnomer that has been disproved by every other case against people filming police officers being thrown out of court.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Un-freaking believable! Make sure you watch the video. This is about as maddening as it gets!

This is just another symptom of the growing police state. Public officials have no right to privacy in thier public capacity with few exceptions. Citizens have a right to have a record of any dealings with police or public officials.

The really sad part is there were people protesting at the court house but only a few when there should have been hundreds if not thousands! If we do not stand up to this folks it's over!

www.infowars.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 31-8-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
75 years in prison for exposing tyranny. sounds pretty standard here in 2011. I hope this guy beats these bogus charges... I mean video taping a cop is worse than killing somebody, or raping somebody? absurd.

Remember people know your rights! Everybody should be allowed to video document their encounters with police. They get to use cams and audio recordings, It's only right for the people to do the same.
edit on 8/31/2011 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
If the American people don't start standing up soon, it'll be too late to do anything.

I hear comments such as "The revolution has begun!" and "Americans will never lay down!"

So when did it begin and why are people laying down and taking this?

I have also heard many say that they are waiting for the people to rise up and then they will join the fight. My question is who will start rising so the others follow?

It has to start somewhere soon, but where and when is the big question.

Many of us are watching the ME do their thing and have witnessed Europe starting to rumble but to date, nothing from America. I really don't understand how a Nation of so many people in support of overseas occupations as a fight for Human Rights and Democracy, has so little to do or say as their own Country crumbles and TPTB are circling closer everyday.

I am honestly worried for America as is much of the World. Because if you fall, we all fall. But if you stand up...we all stand with you.

Peace

And BTW...to all Police Officers:

Just as you tell us that if we are doing nothing wrong we have nothing to fear...same goes for you. If you are doing nothing wrong, what problem do you have with recording?

edit on 31-8-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
God the craziness never stops.

I`m all for filming these Public servants in Public and on your own property.
If they want to stand by this and impose jail time and or prison time I will be sure to never feel bad for any Officer shot and or killed on the job in those States for they truly are an American enemy in my eyes..

I also want to add anyone Living in Illinois should be there protesting at this court. And if you got the money to travel do it.

edit on 8/31/2011 by Connman because: added more

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
If the police have nothing to hide then they should have nothing to fear.

Prosecuting people for recording is a waste of time and public money.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
wtf!? ... oO

2nd line sayS JUST WTF!?1

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Citizens protest?

Did somebody pay those two to show up? I would have imagined that there would have been a ton of people out there protesting.

Pretty sad that people rather let public officials dictate the terms. :shk:

If a jury of 12 find this man guilty, that jury should find the nearest tree and hang themselves.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com... related article i think

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Citizens protest?

Did somebody pay those two to show up? I would have imagined that there would have been a ton of people out there protesting.

Pretty sad that people rather let public officials dictate the terms. :shk:

If a jury of 12 find this man guilty, that jury should find the nearest tree and hang themselves.

If the American people stand by and let this man go to jail, I give up.

There are many causes to fight for and this man should be at the top of the list because if they put him away, everyone else is next.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
From now on, if I film Cops beating someone up -- I will be SURE to notice the pretty little bird on the street -- maybe a pigeon.

When I upload the video to YouTube, I'll say; "Look at this really cute pigeon!"

Then get a friend to post a comment like; "Bro -- did you notice the cops beating the crap out of that kid?"

>> The legal concept of "privacy" or "eavesdropping" is if the person has an expectation of "being in a situation that would not likely be public." Beating someone on the side of a busy street is NOT a place where you would expect privacy -- or else I'm going to sue those traffic cameras for being "peeping toms."

In a truly Fascist Police State -- the enforcers face no repercussions. So the point of making the videotaping of abuse illegal is really to INTIMIDATE THE PUBLIC. To gauge public response and see if they can get away with it. If they can -- more people who don't understand the law but are in the Justice System will just ASSUME that this is the new status quo.

There are millions of laws and statues that are not enforced and the police don't bother with -- so nobody bothers to remove them.

>> All the greatest crimes of the 21st century will be completely legal.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Unfortunately due to T&C on ATS I cannot fully express my outrage at this and similar cases. The madness needs to stop. What the hell is happening to this country? We are screwed, I cannot put my faith in the legal system, public, military, etc. As they have all failed us thus far. I used to fully support the troops and the police and feel a sense of pride. Not anymore..................

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reason.com... and quite honestly the most compreshensive listing of people with cameras vs cops and the out come i have ever read it covers about 6-8 cases and most of them i hadent heard of out side of ats so it was quite informative to say the least

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This might be of intrest to Mr. Allison

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

well i think i got the "message".so i guess im going to find a bottomless pit and heave my camera down it.or "this" could happen to me to!!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The best way for everyone to help is to contact every news agency you can (national and local) and encourage them to cover this case. Michael Allison's case, and more importantly, the broader issue of human rights abuses by law enforcement, needs much more scrutiny.

If the media knows people care about this, they're more likely to cover it. So start emailing, tweeting, etc.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
These Nazi commi, pigs.
If this guy is found guilty, when we have our Nuremberg trials against these Nazi Pigs, they should all be hung for treason against the US of A's Citizens.

This is Police state crap, anti gun crap also, it wouldn't be so bad except some of these Pigs are worse than the people ( criminals ) they suppose to be protecting us from.

Sit down, shut up, or I bust your skull, Citizen.
Now Bend Over!!!
edit on 31-8-2011 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2011 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Ok, now that you all have vented, lets get real here.

Yes, I agree with you all that a police officer acting in an official capacity should have no expectation of privacy. There are very few instances that a police officer, while working can have an expectation of privacy, but not while out in public and acting in an official capacity.

So, if a police officer has no expectation of privacy when conducting official business, people should not be charged with eavesdropping or wiretapping when vidoetaping them.

Lets look at the root of the problem though. The response of charging people who videotape them while working is stemmed from numerous videos that are posted on the internet that are edited or only show certain parts of the encounter with police that are only meant to paint the police in a bad light.

There are countless videos that only show a police officer's use of force without showing the event that precipitated that use of force. There are countless videos in which the amature videographer approaches the police and attempts to goad a negative reaction out of them by either interfereing in their busines or worse. There are countless videos that only show one angle of the encounter where you can clearly see something that the officer could not clearly see when he or she decided to act.

This shoddy and irresponsible camera work causes an unfair atmosphere for police officers to perform their job. The officer could be using an appropriate amount of force for the situation but shoddy camera work takes the action out of context and allows people to make a knee jerk reaction. The officer could be fed up with the cameraman's constant badgering that he says something unprofessional. The officer only has a split decision to make a decision to shoot or not while the viewer, sitting comfortably in front of the computer or television has all the time in the world to review the actions of the suspect and can clearly see after pausing and rewinding the video that the supposed "gun" or "knife" was really a cell phone or wallet. The viewer can then extrapolate this and turn it into a situation where the officer "just wanted to kill someone" and all officers are fascists and we live in a police state.

Should people be charged by the police for simply videotaping them while conducting official business? No. Should people take all video of police officers they find on the internet at face value and condemn those or possibly all police officers? Also, no.

It is a case of action-reaction. Is it right? No. Is it fair to subject a person to criminal prosecution and potential jail time for videotaping? Well, let me ask you this. Is it fair to subject a person, who is performing a job that society demands is performed to the best of their ability, to such degradation, slander and general hatred for the service that they provide because of a knee jerk reaction spawned from an out of context irresponsibly taken video?
edit on 31-8-2011 by areyouserious2010 because: Edit to add

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This is an absolute outrage.. If I ever record brutality I will upload it from a separate youtube account at a public library. Show the world and don't get caught!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
What scares me, is how messed up America is, your primary industries are being lost aboroad, your population is getting bigger, your government(s) have been so busy poking around in everyone elses business that they have neglected the people of the country and they continue to do it.

I dont see how you can come back to ever being the land of the free again, your states are not united and neither are the people united with each other to be able to pull it back.

You all just sit there moaning about how hard and unjustified everything is but do nothing to change it, and how can you when you are 50 states and not 1 america.

This is appauling news and I think the OP pointed out that only 3 people protested, thats because everyone cares but no one can be bothered doing anything.

Next you wont be allowed to protest.

It must be pretty bad in Mexico for them to want to live in USA.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join