It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father Arrested for Abandoning 11 yr old Son Due to Foreclosure/Unemployment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Cross, a 60-year-old architect from Lakeville, Minn., is charged with a gross misdemeanor count of neglect of a child for allegedly abandoning his son while the boy was sleeping, explaining his reasons for leaving in a letter to the boy and instructing him to take another letter to a neighbor's home

According to police, that neighbor said the boy rode his bike three blocks to her house on July 18 and arrived in tears, handing her the letters. The letter to the boy said: "If this paper is wet it's because I am crying so bad. You know your dad loves you more than anything." It went on to say that there are no jobs for architects and that sheriff's officials were taking the house. "There are many many great years ahead of you. Not so for me," Cross allegedly wrote, telling his son to take his PlayStation to the neighbor's house. In the other letter, Cross asked his neighbor and her husband to care for his son, police said. The neighbor, who did not return a message left by The Associated Press, told police that Cross never asked her to take care of the boy. The boy said he didn't notice anything was wrong with his father the night before Cross left.

This is a horrible/tragic situation for the child and the family, yet an understandably tough financial situation for the father to be in, and a situation far too many are in presently, stretched all across our country. I am in no way excusing what the father did, that is downright sickening, to consider doing that to your son. But what I don't want to go unnoticed is the extreme financial hardship many are facing, and in a country such as our own, with the resources we have, a father should never have to face a situation such as this.

This kind of story makes me nauseous. Yes the father did wrong, but this otherwise sounds like an average family just trying to get by, and couldn't, due to the environment Wall St./Our Government created. It's sad. It really is.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

The psychological effects of the economic collapse are extremely traumatic for many people.

Imagine someone who made triple digits for decades having to consider living on Food Stamps.

They'd done everything in their lives, all the choices they made, were so this thing could never happen to them: great educations, frequent the highest social strata, have the car, have the house in the right neighborhood, etc... now they are plunged into a place they thought was reserved only for minorities, or outcasts or criminals or the dregs of society. Now that makes THEM the dregs of the society...

It's heartbreaking indeed, but I guess those that survive will have an entirely new outlook on life!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
This is one of the saddest things I have seen in quite a while, my heart goes out to the father and the child, our country is so screwed up right now and will be for such a long time, this is just the first in a long line of heart wrenching stories.

It has reached our children, across the states, is it not time do something about it now? If not, when will be the right time?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
'Whatever happens Boy ,do not sell the playstation'

Nearly as bad as having to leave your children starving on the side of the road because your to weak to carry them 100 k's to the nearest food
edit on 31-8-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Foreclosure needs to be outlawed. Did you know that once the bank takes your house and sells it if they foot get the full price of the mortgage the will still try to collect the difference from you even though they have the property. There has to be a better way. If someone cant pay garnish any income or do something else, don't put people on the street.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djdoubt03
Foreclosure needs to be outlawed. Did you know that once the bank takes your house and sells it if they foot get the full price of the mortgage the will still try to collect the difference from you even though they have the property. There has to be a better way. If someone cant pay garnish any income or do something else, don't put people on the street.

I suppose a better way would be for the banks to not offer ridiculious loans where they can change the payments at a drop of a hat. Its disgusting that they can boot human beings onto the street, even more disgusting that they are being allowed to do so - with the backing of authority.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Foreclosure needs to be outlawed

Foreclosure is not the end of life. Bad things happen, deal with it. My parents never owned a home, we grew up in rented homes and it didn't hurt us one bit. What is wrong with society where life is not worth living ( or children not worth having) just because you'e in financial difficulties.

As a society we put way to much worth on stuff. Ditch the stuff and give your children the most valuable commodity of all, your time. That is what will make them become responsible, good people, not a house, not a car, not gadgets...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
What a sad story. I hope the police aren't too hard on him. It sounds like the father was intending either suicide or dropping out of society into tramp existence. His arrest probably saved him. Let's hope they don't turn it into a circus and upset the apple cart even more than it is already. Sounds like he was at the end of his tether.

I hope son and pop are together somewhere comfortable right now.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I have suspected for decades
that the real purpose behind all the conspiracies,
lies, deciet, propaganda, copyright laws,
and fiat currency
... was the destruction of Architects from our culture.

I finally have evidence.

I mean the person obviously delayed having a child
until they had a profession which they could support it with.
Hence the reason the Architect is so much older than the child.

But the message from this sick and twisted pop-culture society is
"fool" and now "we will destroy you in the press"

Oh and did I mention
?

David Grouchy
edit on 31-8-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I want to feel bad for the father but im finding it really hard. IMO there were other routes for him to go with what he was facing. There are parents have live out of cars with their children or out of hotels and shelters he took the cowards way out. He tried to push his responsibility onto other human beings that had nothing to do with the conception of his child. All this mental stress bull is a cop out. There is no excuse for his behavior. No sympathy from me.

top topics

join