It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the ocean floor zig like this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This does not look natural to me, does any one know what causes it?

edit on 31-8-2011 by sabbathcrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I believe it be a form of ocean floor rifting. Although I can't name the exact kind off the top of my head, I do know that I've seen it before as an example in a geology class.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
where theres a zig theres always a zag

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It always reminds me of stretch marks when i look at the ocean floor topography.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Must have been caused by Elenin.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Sea-floor spreading from Mid-Ocean Ridges causing the rifts. Plate techtonics basically for a short answer.

Kinda cool to look at though.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I am not saying this is what it is. But when i first saw it, it looked like huge industrial doors. Look that the rectangles, they match the opposite rectangle. It caught my eyes.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Yeah.

And why is there solid land under the water like that ? The aliens did it.

Yes, they put land under the water to trick us.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
HAARP

And elenin

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Burnerz

Forgot the CIA, FEMA, Bush, and Obama.

Anyways, its the area where the crust is steadily ripping apart and being replaced by new crust (cooled lava)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The ocean floor is always moving, and there are many underwater submarine volcanoes and earthquakes. It is similar to faults on land, just underwater.

Submarine Volcano

Link

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It's a tectonic plate boundary. The ones you are referring to are referred to as divergent with sea-floor spreading. They do create rifts as mentioned previously, but, more importantly, the "zig" and "zag" features you see are areas along the boundary zone where transform (or strike-slip) movement pulls the edge of the plate in opposite directions.

The entire earth's crust is covered with these boundary zones, much like the cracked shell of a hard-boiled egg. The cracked crustal plates move about because the molten magma beneath is constantly rising toward the surface as it moves up away from the central heat source, cools, and then heads back down again to be reheated. This creates a convection current of material upon which the crustal plates are sliding around. Inevitably the edges of the these plates bump up against each other, slide along each other, or pull away from one another. This is why we have most of the volcanoes and earthquakes on the planet at the boundary zones of these plates and their consequent interaction.

One of the largest of these plate boundary cracks is at the mid-atlantic ridge, where new ocean-sea floor is created and material moves up to the surface and away from each other. The activity causes the continents to separate, increasing the size of the Atlantic while also forcing Africa and South America to bump-and-grind against adjacent plates.

new topics

top topics

join