It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your beliefs in one sentence.

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3v0lv3r
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." -- Voltaire

That is great!
Gotta remeber it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by NeverSleepingEyes
reply to post by ShiftyMedi

Oh, I also believe that those in need of a god should have their brains fixed.

Never presume to know precisely how another man defines "God", especially if you're an atheist.

that's one of the issues i have with believers... they can't seem to get a definition they can all share which of course turns the word useless

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
"It's a rat trap and we've been caught...."

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1086b13f4060.gif[/atsimg]

Sometimes all you can do is laugh......

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by annella

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
The bible is the absolute truth and evolution is a evil deception.

Have you ever considered that it may be YOU that is being deceived?? There are multitudes who will agree with me BTW and I can assure you that there is no devils mark on them.

I'm sure i was pretty clear when setting out the rules at the beginning. Of course there are gonna be conflicting ideas but quoting someone else and arguing is exactly what i didn't want when i set this up and I stated that at the beginning, if you read it.
If you cant follow what i asked, then stay out of my thread.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ilyich

What you are fighting for?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
All the world's a stage.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Earth is a school, our choices, actions and words are our answers to the challenges/tests, they are what we control, they are our responsibility, they determine our progress, so care not for what is done to you but for what you do and remember this words: you have nothing to fear but your own actions/yourself.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
As above, so below.....

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Completely devoid of religious/magical/superstitious/spiritual belief.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by audiopackrat

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone
We'll only be free when the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest

Good quote.
But it should be attributed to Denis Diderot.

Yep it should but as this isn't a essay on philosophy i thought we could skip the references

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Raindrops in the light trying to remember what it was like to be the Sun, let this dream come to an end and set this world ablase with mystic flame….awaken little God, awaken!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Spec of dust on a spec of dust on a spec of dust~~~~

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Do as you would be done by..

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Everything exists in one way or another ,
it just differs between realities what is truth and what is false.
edit on 1/9/2011 by Mystic Technician because: Edit to fix

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Christianity is said to have 36,000 denominations, and the human race has at least 25,000 religions. With so many claiming there's a God, angels, demons, etc. either they're all kooks and liars inventing stories to control the masses, or there's some truth to one or more of them. My personal opinion is that ancient religious systems were cursed by limited lexicons relative to what we have now with scientific knowledge and space exploration. When Berei# (Genesis) was written, we didn't understand how planets formed and didn't even know our's was spherical (I know it's not a true sphere but close enough heh.) But if we're claiming a god created the planet we needed a beginning so naturally the beginning was in the beginning of the story.

Now of course we understand a lot more about how stars form, matter falls into orbit around them and over billions of years planets form. NASA Exoplanet site has over 500 exo-planets "on the books" now so planets orbiting stars seems more likely the rule than the exception. If planets orbiting stars isn't anything remarkable (other than ones with life on them) then what remains for gods to do is much less dramatic than classical religions describe (i.e. make planets.)

But there's still a lot of narrative out there in theology describing human-divinity interactions. If they're not all lies then what's more likely? That ancient humans encountered paranormal/supernatural lifeforms, or ancient humans encountered extraterrestial lifeforms drawn to a life-filled planet? We can determine the atmospheric composition of planets light-years away by analyzing how light from those planets appears to us. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that an alien species saw our planet long ago and set out for it.

If our own species is progressing like others might, then an alien race may well have needed a fresh inhabitable planet after destroying their own through industrial pollution much as we're currently destroying our own. I'm more apt to believe this was the case than they destroyed it through warfare because of the technological hurdles with interstellar travel. You'd expect some "governmental" or infrastructure to be required to mount such an operation. But back to theology.

Assuming one or more stories about humans encountering the divine actually happened, but due to limited lexicons and non-existant knowledge of technology/science those stories used the only terms then available to them, then ancient humans may well have encountered aliens. Certainly with all the UFO/alien sightings today if we imagine the claims from peoples thousands of years ago, they'd be stories of godly encounters instead of aliens.

To sum up. "God" was alien, angels and demons were alien, and all the stories about miracles and other heavenly phenomenae were in fact "best guess" descriptions of technological encounters. As Arthur C. Clarke said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic."

Or, it's all made up for any number of political-megalomanical reasons.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jeff197139

Wow. That sure is one hell of a sentence.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeff197139

Christianity is said to have 36,000 denominations, and the human race has at least 25,000 religions. With so many claiming there's a God, angels, demons, etc. either they're all kooks and liars inventing stories to control the masses, or there's some truth to one or more of them. My personal opinion is that ancient religious systems were cursed by limited lexicons relative to what we have now with scientific knowledge and space exploration. When Berei# (Genesis) was written, we didn't understand how planets formed and didn't even know our's was spherical (I know it's not a true sphere but close enough heh.) But if we're claiming a god created the planet we needed a beginning so naturally the beginning was in the beginning of the story.

Now of course we understand a lot more about how stars form, matter falls into orbit around them and over billions of years planets form. NASA Exoplanet site has over 500 exo-planets "on the books" now so planets orbiting stars seems more likely the rule than the exception. If planets orbiting stars isn't anything remarkable (other than ones with life on them) then what remains for gods to do is much less dramatic than classical religions describe (i.e. make planets.)

But there's still a lot of narrative out there in theology describing human-divinity interactions. If they're not all lies then what's more likely? That ancient humans encountered paranormal/supernatural lifeforms, or ancient humans encountered extraterrestial lifeforms drawn to a life-filled planet? We can determine the atmospheric composition of planets light-years away by analyzing how light from those planets appears to us. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that an alien species saw our planet long ago and set out for it.

If our own species is progressing like others might, then an alien race may well have needed a fresh inhabitable planet after destroying their own through industrial pollution much as we're currently destroying our own. I'm more apt to believe this was the case than they destroyed it through warfare because of the technological hurdles with interstellar travel. You'd expect some "governmental" or infrastructure to be required to mount such an operation. But back to theology.

Assuming one or more stories about humans encountering the divine actually happened, but due to limited lexicons and non-existant knowledge of technology/science those stories used the only terms then available to them, then ancient humans may well have encountered aliens. Certainly with all the UFO/alien sightings today if we imagine the claims from peoples thousands of years ago, they'd be stories of godly encounters instead of aliens.

To sum up. "God" was alien, angels and demons were alien, and all the stories about miracles and other heavenly phenomenae were in fact "best guess" descriptions of technological encounters. As Arthur C. Clarke said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic."

Or, it's all made up for any number of political-megalomanical reasons.

As much as I appreciate that. This isn't your belief in one sentence

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Sometimes, you just have to poop! --My quote.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
live and let live, if it gets in your way, mow it over.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I believe in our Father in Heaven and that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, our Lord and Savior, and that the Holy Spirit is our guide, protector and comforter who can be felt within us.

Blessings,
Golden
edit on 1-9-2011 by GoldenVoyager because: added detail

edit on 1-9-2011 by GoldenVoyager because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join