It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you Google+ ??? Why Google+ Really Wants You to Use Your Real Name...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Why Google+ Really Wants You to Use Your Real Name

Link to PCWorld

ALSO: There are many links in the right sidebar to other related articles!

Maybe I had too high expectations for a service from a company whose mantra used to be "Don't be evil." But now I feel as if I need to keep in the back of my head that Google could be using every word of what I say to try to sell me something, or to build an ever increasingly more comprehensive virtual picture of my real self.

A little tinfoil hat? Maybe.

I've always used nicks (nicknames) since I got my first personal computer about 30 years ago.

Nicknames were encouraged and part of the FUN associated with computer hobbists.

ZipppyPinhead, DoctorWho, Razor1911, TheWarden and many more fabulous nicks that people
created out of thin air or used from their favorite Books, TV Shows, Comic Books etc.

There were plenty of nicks to go around. When AOL came around people became numbered! (User123.)

(Seems like people with common given names like John Smith will have the toughest time with Google+ LOL.)

Computer based social networks are changing our lives as they are becoming more popular than many
other online activities like banking, ordering groceries, paid gaming etc.

Personally, I don't care for forums OR social networking except ATS and a few technical resources (and I'm certainly not going to use my real name even though ATS may already know mine.)

I'll stick to using pseudonyms/nicks and if a site (other than my bank) requires my real name then I'm moving on...

Seriously, How important is one particular website? There are billions!

Only financial transactions need to know REAL Information. AND that should require a Secure Connection.

This is just one more warning about divulging the right infomation to the wrong people. We're ALL human.

I always make it a point to attempt signing up with ADMIN account.
edit on 8·30·11 by DrMattMaddix because: (no reason given)

edit on 8·30·11 by DrMattMaddix because: stuff

edit on 30/8/2011 by Sauron because: internal quote tags to external quote tags

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I ain't using that site, just another controlled NWO control weapon for the masses.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix
[more

Social media has made us attention seekers.

Like,rate,comment,friend me on facebook,subscribe,follow me on twitter,star and flag,you just won click this ad etc etc.

There is the carrot dangling in front of the ego and I suspect alot of people will buckle and use their real names.

I don't think the internet will be the same in 20 years time.

Morons are the majority.

edit on 30-8-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I tried to join google + and it said there was enough people on for the time being!! charming!!!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
I ain't using that site, just another controlled NWO control weapon for the masses.

All SocialNetwork sites are owned by them or they have control over it.... There is no Privacy anymore,there was no since Internet in invented.... Now it is very easy to know exactly who is who(even with nicks),they just say it is safe and private. This site for example,maybe dont work for .gov,but "man in black" can come any time and check who writes what,without owners permition!
We are soon in Matrix

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by John0Doe

Originally posted by Heartisblack

All SocialNetwork sites are owned by them or they have control over it.... There is no Privacy anymore,there was no since Internet in invented.... Now it is very easy to know exactly who is who(even with nicks),they just say it is safe and private. This site for example,maybe dont work for .gov,but "man in black" can come any time and check who writes what,without owners permition!
We are soon in Matrix

ooh ... ooh I what my nick to be Neo then

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

edit on 30-8-2011 by Gravity215 because: (no reason given)

Posting video links - ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ
* Link
* Description
* Review/Opinion

edit on 30/8/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Gotta love the gmail man spying on every message you read/write with googles mail, i expect google+ will be exactly the same.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I have never used my real name for anything online. I have a few made up first and lasts that I use when I have to. One thing I noticed is that even on kids on-line games they ask for first and last names, sometimes addresses and phone numbers! My son plays a few of these games but I had to fill in the blanks with fake stuff. Another reason to watch your kid's on-line habbits, he would have just given them all our info! LoL

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

That's because it's in a testing phase. Early on, there were "too many people" on Google+ because there was an insane demand to get in—Google wasn't expecting it!

In order to get on it, you have to be invited by someone that is currently on it.

reply to post by Gravity215

If you use any web-based anything, not just Gmail, there is always something/someone somewhere watching that you're writing and doing.
edit on 30/8/2011 by octotom because: Added second reply.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
This all brings you to wonder.... how few productive jobs actual exist....give us back our freedoms and another 10% of the population would be out of jobs. If only the people understood and replaced everyone in power.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Want to know the real reason? It's because it's not XBox. It's not MySpace or any other hook-up Farmville site. It's strictly meant for networking. What good is it to network with "Ipwnnoobsalldayhxor!1!!" or "sexkitten99"? If you don't want to share you name on it, then it's probably not the site for you, anyway. Stick with Myspace if it bothers you.

new topics

top topics

join