It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia quake's motion may have exceeded nuclear plant's design

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

More federal inspectors are en route to Virginia's North Anna nuclear power station after early data indicated the plant may have experienced more shaking than it was designed to withstand during last week's 5.8 earthquake.

The added scrutiny was triggered by preliminary data reported Friday by the plant's operator, Dominion Virginia Power, which signaled that ground motion caused by the quake surpassed the plant's design

source:
Now we've got proof coming through that our nuclear plants here in the U.S. aren't designed fullproof to handle the stress from our current quakes. Nothing really bad has been found broken so far, but it's still a scary indication of how unsafe these plants really are, that is, if Fukishima hasn't convinced you yet.

But I still would like to know more of what the "preliminiary data" is. And I'm also concerned about how all the plants along the east coast have handled the flooding and ground shifting caused by Hurricane Irene.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...
edit on 29-8-2011 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
wow a long time ago a birdy told me that events like the one in JP would continue to happen and that it was the Earths way of "shaking off the nuclear stuff" I brushed it off at the time but now I am starting to wonder. It would be warnings from the planet herself that enough was enough with nuclear reactors.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ISis12RA12ELohim

i'm pretty sure the earth can't shake off the "nuclear stuff." it's probably more to do with the over inflated pay for employees that dont care about their job.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I've been thinking about the nuclear crisis in Japan quite a bit lately. Living in the NorthWest US, right in the path of the jet stream that passes by Japan, has a bit to do with it. I've been checking the radiation websites daily to keep myself up to date, and checking ATS for what's happening across the Pacific.

So, maybe all of the info is finally getting to me...because I just had a feeling of dread come over me, and it lingered. If you've never felt "dread", I envy you. It's an empty, cold, dark, hopeless experience. Antibiotics used to make me feel this way, and it was terribly difficult to sleep, eat, or anything at all, really. Well, I haven't had any pills in a very long time, so I don't think that it was external chemically induced.

I read the CNN headline about the Virginia quake last week shifting some nuclear fuel storage tanks, and that was from a moderate quake. Then, I come to ATS and I see another, much smaller, quake hits the same area today...foreshocks..? It got me thinking about how many nuclear plants, spent and current fuel storage facilities, and waste facilities that we have here in the US, especially on the East Coast. What's going to happen if there's a sizeable quake on the New Madrid? Let's say a magnitude 6.5 - 7. That area is capable of one, and is overdue, if anything I've seen on this site has 'learnt me nuthin' (just as we are looong overdue for a major quake up here from the Juan de Fuca fault line).

Anyway, my dread didn't last long...just long enough for me to remember what it felt like. I hate it. Feels like I have no power or ability to change my own path...and the one I'm on leads to ultimate pain. I really hope it's not a precurser of more instances of the feeling. I also pray that I'm not having some clairvoyant vision of what's to come.

edit on 1-9-2011 by TolanIsMaximus because: none

top topics

join