It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: UN Staff Initiates Pullout of All Personnel In Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Citing the reason that Afghanistan has become too dangerous to work in, the UN is calling for an immediate pullout of all of its workers. The UN Staff Union has said that all personnel must leave until new security measures are put into place.

news.bbc.co.uk
The United Nations should withdraw all its personnel from Afghanistan as the country has become too dangerous to work in, the UN staff union has said.

The union said staff should leave the country until new security measures had been introduced.

The union said UN personnel was likely to become a target in the run-up to October's elections.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Generally many people believe the US has gone into Afghanistan and made things more stable, but stability now seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Back in July the global medicinal aid group, Medecins Sans Frontieres, decided that it would leave Afghanistan after 24 years because of security fears.

Kofi Annan was quoted as saying, "How do we operate in places like Iraq and some parts of Afghanistan, where many people want and expect us to help... but some are determined to block our work at any price?"

[edit on 8/21/2004 by lockheed]

[edit on 8/21/2004 by lockheed]

[edit on 8-21-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Another sad victory for the US, it seems to me that every time US gets into another country's affair it turns into displeasure for the American intervention.

When a country becomes as unstable as Afghanistan and now Iraq you can not claim victory that is a misleading to the people of the US.

Democracy can not be imposed it has to be accepted by all parties of the country and in Afghanistan is by the tribes that rule the country.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
What annoys me is the lack of media interest in Afganistan now, so the average Joe thinks everything is fine and dandy there now. In reality it is in a very unstable state.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
It is very unstable the Taliban still rule on the country side and bin-ladden is no where to be found.

And yes the media and the administration are all over Iraq. It looks to me that the actions in Afghanistan were just so the administration could get to Iraq.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I suppose that Afghanistan and Iraq were safe, free, open societies before the U.S. deposed their dictators?

The U.N. only "helps" countries rebuild & stabilize when it's politically expedient for them to do so... The U.N. claims to be interested in global peace, freedom, and stability, but pulling stunts like leaving Iraq & Afghanistan at the first signs of trouble, instead of seeing the tough times through, just tells me that the U.N. as it exists now has no relevance to the U.N. Charter, or the ideals it sets forth...

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
ThunderCloud... maybe not "safe" but certainly safer. My city had just over 100 murders last year. Safe? Heck no. But if that number jumped to 1,000 I'd certainly long for the day when 100 was the rule.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
The U.N. only "helps" countries rebuild & stabilize when it's politically expedient for them to do so

Exactly. The UN 'pulling out' is just such horrid news!

How will the world survive without the UN 'helping'?

Obviously they couldn't hatch any illegal $$ deals in Afghanastan
and so Koffi Annan and his wayward thief of a son can't be
bothered with breaking a sweat over helping the people
of Afghanastan.

The UN. Such a waste of American tax payers $$$. It could
be much better spent elsewhere. Heck ... it could be much
better spent ANYWHERE else!

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
The U.N. only "helps" countries rebuild & stabilize when it's politically expedient for them to do so

Exactly. The UN 'pulling out' is just such horrid news!

How will the world survive without the UN 'helping'?

Obviously they couldn't hatch any illegal $$ deals in Afghanastan
and so Koffi Annan and his wayward thief of a son can't be
bothered with breaking a sweat over helping the people
of Afghanastan.

The UN. Such a waste of American tax payers $$$. It could
be much better spent elsewhere. Heck ... it could be much
better spent ANYWHERE else!

i'll tell you what's a waste of taxpayer's money. halliburton. they've misappropriated 100's of times more money as a percentage of the US taxpayer's dollar than the UN.

also, try asking one of the many thousands of refugees around the world who depend on UN handouts if they share your (manufactured) view.

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Osama bin Laden is nowhere near U.S. troops. He is near a capitol city once called Frunze.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
...funny end of it is: he is in a mountainous region.

new topics

top topics

join