It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting fact about Irene and NYC skyscrapers...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I was sitting down catching up on the latest Irene news and I found something out that surprised me a little bit. In the news, ABC 7 Chicago, it said that hurricane winds on the ground are not the same as winds in the air. Bad news for the skyscrapers. It looks like there's going to be a real-time stress test on those buildings.
Here's some of the math..
Winds on the ground-60 mph
Winds near the 25th floor of a sky scraper- 90 mph
Winds near the 100th floor- over 110 mph!
Keep in mind this is just a catagory one storm.
I have people in NYC on twitter feeding me by the minute info on Irene and the situation is slowly deteriorating.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
We've always known that people bottleneck to check out accidents on the side of the road. It seems that many would sit by all day and wait to watch the accident happen if they knew the time and place beforehand. In fact we now know that they would "tweet" each other to make sure.

That in my humble opinion, is actually more interesting, and sad.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Also the layout of the entire city it self makes some building essentially not receive any wind gust since they are sheltered by other sky scarpers, Which means the Sky Scrapers receiving the wind gust will have to endure stronger winds ..

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Well whatever happens it's definitley going to be interesting. I've never seen anything like this because I wasn't around in '85 when a hurricane hit the island. I'm in Chicago in the Trump tower and it gets a little scary up here when there's a storm, imagine a hurricane. Jeeeze

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
My grandfather looks over the work that goes on at ground zero and he said they tied down all the cranes but are really worried about all the new glass at tower one, hope for the best.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CapSolo
I have people in NYC on twitter feeding me by the minute info on Irene and the situation is slowly deteriorating.

Can you tell us more about how the situation is deteriorating. Are structural problems beginning to show, flooding, people out of hand....?

They aren't telling the rest of the world much. Just a bunch of stupid a&& reporters standing where they shouldn't be standing, warning everybody to stay inside. So, what do you know? Tell us please.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Oh yeah that's right I saw a special on that earlier this week, lot's of glass there. It's supposed to be completed in 2013 right?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well from what I know the winds are starting to pick up, Grand Central Station is a totaly ghost town and people are starting to evac places such as Coney Island and Brighton Beach. The city has ceased all public transportation aside from taxi cabs but they're not running to the before mentioned places.
They're also starting to tip over all the garbage cans so no one will be injured.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
does anyone know when will Irene's eye be over NYC?

i've looked at sat maps of the predicted path and most say 8pm Sunday 8/28 but that seems late.

as for current conditions in NYC, it seems like a thunderstorm without any thunder.

wonder how much rain we will get??

top topics

join