It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Google Servers Handle Alien Contact?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This is a serious topic worthy of discussion. Speculating about the reasons for government secrecy around UFO's, we often hear the refrain that 'they wont disclose the truth about ET because society could collapse'. But would society actually collapse? What sort of mayhem could we expect if aliens landed tomorrow? One serious area that few people have considered, is what would happen to telecommunication infrastructure in the event of such a huge media event.

An analysis of Google server capacity suggests that one of the first casualties in the case of disclosure/ alien contact would be our ability to use the Internet:

In 2009, the unfortunate passing of Michael Jackson became a worldwide media event. On the evening of his death, traffic on the Internet swelled by 11 per cent above normal. Google’s servers interpreted the rapid and massive spike in queries related to Michael Jackson as some kind of automated attack, and this caused the service provider to disable search for a large number of users. The automatic shutoff is in place to protect legitimate users of Google from so-called distributed denial of service attacks, a technique used by hackers to overwhelm and block access to online sources.

In the case of a legitimate, worldwide media event such as an alien landing, it is clear that the automatic kill switch system, triggered by a spike in traffic of only 11% in the case of Michael Jackson’s death, would be completely unable to cope to a flood of identical search queries amounting to perhaps 400% of the normal traffic load.

Source: Google can survive and alien invasion... but could it withstand peaceful contact?

Without access to resources like Google, twitter, facebook, wikipedia, and the such, I suspect that in the event of alien contact, most of us will be stuck with 'old' media, namely Television news.

edit on 27-8-2011 by kristobal because: spelling

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kristobal

post by kristobal
Without access to recources like Google, twitter, facebook, wikipedia, and the such, I suspect that in the event of alien contact, most of us will be stuck with 'old' media, namely Television news.

Google is not the internet , if Google's servers did go down in such an event I don't see it being a great problem as I will be here on ATS for my information , not Twitter or Facebook .

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Well I googled "Alien Contact" and it appears so.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skate

Try doing the same search on the day that they actually land.

I can't remember any time when Google actually went offline, but I think it would add to people's anxiety if 1) aliens landed and 2) their most reliable online information tool suddenly went down.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kristobal

I can't remember any time when Google actually went offline, but I think it would add to people's anxiety if 1) aliens landed and 2) their most reliable online information tool suddenly went down.

Yeah I don't think it would take more than 30 minutes after an alien invasion for all the internet to shut down. Phone lines are a possibility too.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Yeah I don't think it would take more than 30 minutes after an alien invasion for all the internet to shut down. Phone lines are a possibility too.

I think you might be right. I would expect most moders communications media to shut down, because (they will say) they are overloaded with people calling/texting/mailing/browsing/tweeting etc. There may be some small truth in this - as per the OP - but it would certainly be chaos.

Of course, Google is not the major issue for most us. In the event of a landing we would already have the sites we want to visit bookmarked.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
As I don't use Google for anything on ANY of my computers, and NEVER will, I couldn't care less about Google, I would care more about my family and friends. If Google goes down I would be happy.
To me that is a no brainer.

I have ACL's in my box's that will deny requests from them (as well as Facebook and Twitter). The email's I get from the latter 2 are funny, asking me to please update my profiles, blah blah blah.

My concern is that all the traffic going there will bring the internet to its knees.For my job, I maintain cable modems on our cable plant, and watching traffic patterns, can look at my graphs. If things go awry, I have the ability to block traffic. I've never had to do it, but the capability for me is there. I would block them in a heartbeat to keep the internet open.
The problem is not just our cable plant, its the backbones. That would be from the backbone providers, and they can do as they wish.

After the earthquake, within minutes, our phone calls increased over 270%, fortunately we overbuilt our system and could handle them.

snrRog

edit on 8/27/2011 by snrRog because: added some lines

edit on 8/27/2011 by snrRog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt

I think you might be right. I would expect most moders communications media to shut down, because (they will say) they are overloaded with people calling/texting/mailing/browsing/tweeting etc. There may be some small truth in this - as per the OP - but it would certainly be chaos.

Of course, Google is not the major issue for most us. In the event of a landing we would already have the sites we want to visit bookmarked.

You'll have people tweeting about the alien invasion within seconds of it's visibility and then all of a sudden internet would crash. Then phone service will be disrupted, then tv broadcasts, all would be GONE until we hopefully recover and hopefully win the war

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

If anyone has Google as their most reliable online information tool then should find a new one, Google only shows what they want to show and in the order they want us to see it.

If you make a search with different browsers you can get different answers from Google, showing that they find it more important to give some people some information and other people other information.

PS: I just tried it, and a search for the sentence "alien contact" shows a difference; with Firefox, the first page is "2010 REAL ALIEN CONTACT! - Hard Evidence - YouTube", while in Opera, Internet Explorer, Safari and Chrome it's "Alien Contact", from Google video, the page that appears as second when the search is made in Firefox.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The government secrecy around UFO's has to do with their over unity performance
and would not affect Google in any way. The way this works is the ships are owned
by developers who are protected by the shut up policy of world governments demanded
by the owners. So get this as perhaps the final cause of war being the finding of this
technology will overshadow wars of conquest for gold. We have mostly an info war and
denials making people ask if Google and Alien contact are compatible.
They are not and every message on Google and youtube about Aliens are helping the
owners of Tesla's discoveries keep them from us. Tesla discovered over unity and must
be forever remembered in that light despite lies to the contrary.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
the aliens probably have their own search engines. why would they come down here and use ours?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I am sure communciations would drop out, except for radio and tv broadcasts unless of call the First Contact situation is hostile then i guess these would be taken out as well. In a peaceful contact situation i would say that everyone would watch the news broadcast. I know that is what i did when 9/11 happened, when Diana died, Prince William's wedding and more recently watching the war in Lybia unfolded. I guess we will only really know on the day of First Contact what will happen and more importantly WHERE. Cause if it happens in say Australia (hey why not, maybe they like a shrimp on the barbie!) people will be watching yes but they wont be on the mobile to their families so much if the landing does not occur near them.

Anyway i suspect we will know sooner rather than later we shall soon find out.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
I know that is what i did when 9/11 happened, when Diana died, Prince William's wedding and more recently watching the war in Lybia unfolded. ... people will be watching yes but they wont be on the mobile to their families so much if the landing does not occur near them.

These are all great examples of worldwide televised media events. Personally, I feel that the UFO disclosure thing would be too big to be encapsulated on TV. I feel that the development of new media (wikipedia, twitter, ATS) is necessary before disclosure can take place. That is because of the sheer number of questions that people will have about the UFOs/aliens once they are aware that they exist. Those questions are complex and couldn't be answered adequately in a linear TV broadcast. People are going to want to engage with the material, see it for themselves, and do their own research. That is the nature fo the new media world we live in.

But if those services are likely to crash, then we are clearly not ready as a civilizatin to cope with disclosure / contact.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kristobal

Could Google Servers Handle Alien Contact?

Not a chance in hell damnation frozen over on the Fourth of July!

Overall, if more than 62% of all users who have a right to the bandwidth they are buying signed on all at once, the whole doggone internet thing would crash like a drunk on an Atlanta interstate.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

You'll have people tweeting about the alien invasion within seconds of it's visibility and then all of a sudden internet would crash. Then phone service will be disrupted, then tv broadcasts, all would be GONE until we hopefully recover and hopefully win the war

OK, I'll bite!

WAR??? What war? Are you assuming that any Alian contact would automatically end in a war? Who would start this - them or us? I think the only thing we can be 100% certain of is that if there was a war (And I think it is a billion to one against this, at least against the Aliens starting it) we would have 0% chance of winning it.

I think a lot more peace is comming our way than that, but of course, this is just my opinion.

new topics

top topics

join