It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chile's Commander Camila, The Student Who Can Shut Down a City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Camila Vallejo's call for better and cheaper education has seen student protests transform into a two-day nationwide shutdown

Article Source

Chilean student leader Camila Vallejo sits among a peace sign created from empty teargas canisters used by police against protesters. (Photograph: Roberto Candia/AP)

Not since the days of Zapatistas' Subcomandante Marcos has Latin America been so charmed by a rebel leader. This time, there is no ski mask, no pipe and no gun, just a silver nose ring.

Meet Commander Camila, a student leader in Chile who has become the face of a populist uprising that some analysts are calling the Chilean winter. Her press conferences can lead to the sacking of a minister. The street marches she leads shut down sections of the Chilean capital. She has the government on the run, and now even has police protection after receiving death threats.

Now, I know many members; including myself who are unaware of politics of Latin America. So, we are unfamiliar of the the governments and what the citizens of the countries think about their current situations. Of course the ideas behind this individual is nothing new to the world. The ideas behind her and other protester for better and affordable education is not new to the Europeans (English), Arabs (Libya), and even the Americans, (U.S.)
There have been times I protested against the California government and the school board. As well other means for protest. But never have I see an individual like her who has taken a country by storm like this. I applaud people like her for what she is doing.

Here are a few videos of her. Sorry they are not in English. I would try my best to get them translated.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Call me a sexist, but how often do we glamourize the pretty protesters and lose focus on what they're actually standing for...

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by agentofchaos

I know right, that chick is totally hot! and she has a pair of balls! lol *denotes sarcasm

But on a more serious note, education should be a lot more attainable for a lot more people. They just raise tuition every year and inflation goes up and up and the working class gets paid less.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Loads more information hitting the main stream about this fantastic woman.

NEW CHILEAN FOLK HERO

Let us hope that there are more with such fierce morals in the wings!

join