It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last minute hurricane prep ; or, How to bug in! Give us your tips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Look, I’ve never lived through a hurricane so for the most part I’m going to defer to our more experienced members and their advice… but I will say… if it was me and I knew it was coming there are a few things I would want to get while I was at the hardware store, besides plywood and screws to board up my windows….BTW if you use nails, make sure you get ring-shank nails… they hold better…

The first item on my list is sanitary in nature… Or… in other words I want to pick up the things to make a camp toilet… this is really simple… get an empty five gallon plastic paint bucket… a big box of trash bags to fit… then a small round toilet seat that fits over the top of the bucket… trust me… this is a whole lot less messier to clean up… throw the bag away or burry it in the yard… vs.… dealing with several days/weeks, worth of un-flushed toilets…

The second item on my shopping list deals with ensuring I have plenty of good drinking water… for that I want to buy three brand new big plastic trash cans with lids, a roll of nylon window screening, bungee cords and a flexible downspout for my gutter… I’ll explain why in a minute, but first my reasoning…

The FEMA web site recommends one gallon of drinking water per day per person… they suggest you store at least three days’ worth… I don’t think that’s anywhere close to being enough… I think you’re better off planning on being without for two weeks… minimum…. And that comes to 14 gallons per person …. Just for drinking and cooking… what about water for cleaning up too … in my household with five adults and one child that’s a lot of water …So how do you store it????

If it were me I’d take those never used trash cans and drag them into the shower/tub and fill them to the top… I’d also secure the tops with those bungee’s to make sure nothing gets in during the storm…
Later, after the storm passes… and provided I still have a roof and gutters… and I find myself running out of water I will hacksaw the gutter then attach that flexible downspout… I will use a sharp utility knife to cut a hole in the trashcan lid to fit and improvise myself a rain collection barrel… if I don’t have gutters… then I would toss the lid… cover the top with screen… secure it in place with the bungee’s… to keep bugs and debris out… and pick a corner where that trashcan will collect the most water…

I hastate to bring this next part up… because there is an element of hurting yourself… but… if I were forced to use… used trash cans… I’d want to make sure they were not just cleaned but thoroughly sterilized… to do that I would buy a very powerful professional cleaner called “TSP” or “tri sodium phosphate.” This is powerful stuff so if you get some you’ll want to wear heavy thick rubber gloves and eye protection… if you get any on you… rinse it off… and you will get this stuff on you... while you got your upper body in a trashcan scrubbing all the dirt and grime out of it… TSP is mixed in boiling hot water… rinsed clean with more boiling hot water… even then I would still fill the trash can with clear water and several cups of bleach just to make sure… let it sit for a couple of hours, drain and then, it’s ready for use as a potable water container… Personally I would rather you just buy new trashcans for this…

Okay… time for our more practiced, Hurricane, survivors to do their thing… and list their tips…Be safe everyone…

edit on 26-8-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
what about water for cleaning up too … in my household with five adults and one child that’s a lot of water …So how do you store it????

fill up your bathtub before the storm, that's what I do...seems to work fine.

The last hurricane I was in the power and water were out for 3 weeks. One of the best things you can invest in is a generator, it makes all the difference in the world. FEMA was awsome, they showed up within 2 days with plenty of food and water for everyone, everyday for weeks and constantly asking everyone if they were ok or just needed someone to talk to. Noone I know went without drinking water of food thanks to them. I live in a pretty small rural community though, things may play out ALOT different in a large city with a bunch of nutters running around.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

Full tubs are great for non-potable water... remember soap scum... ring around the tub...
The TSP I talked about will remove all that... but drinking water with to much soap in it will give you the squirts...
besides the trashcan can double duty as a rain barrel

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Good post,daddybare!
Since I have been through my fare share of hurricanes over the years,here are a few things that I do knowing one is coming my way.
Make sure all vehicles are gassed up and chainsaw too,if you have one.
Have plenty of batteries for your radios and flashlights.
A couple of cases of water and as much ice as you can store.
A bunch of candles.
Alot of canned soups and canned vegetables and canned meats.
A can opener.
Fill your bathtub up with water,makes a good back supply of water for your toilet so you can flush it.
And most important of all,
Have plenty of beer!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

My family has rode out some major hurricanes. The best tool we had at our disposal was a good generator. We also had access to a water well with a hand pump, which was extremely nice seeing as how one hurricane left us without electricity for over a month.

A few things that were really good to have around were an ample supply of paper towels and cleaning products. Also as a generator will usually run the essentials but not everything in your house a good supply of small firewood, charcoal, or propane for outside cooking so you don't heat up the house. Our generator runs all the 110v stuff, but 220v stuff like the AC and stove were out of the question. We had ceiling fans but cheap box fans are better than nothing!

A regular old CORDED telephone is a good investment as cordless phones don't work without lights. Our land line phones have never gone down. If you don't have a generator a tent is a good idea- it's cooler outside where air is circulating with no fans or AC indoors. Mosquito spray is also an excellent investment.

Not a complete list by far, just a few things that could really help after a big hurricane.

Good luck! Little D

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Have Extra, so you can help your community in there time of need.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Oh yeah, stock up on beer, you may not be able to get to the store for weeks. Deodorant too, a bitchbath just doesn't cut it after a few weeks.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I am in the Fort Bragg area of north carolina and I have no idea what to expect. We have not been told to evacuate or anything, so I'm considered a "bug in" because honestly we don't have the money for gas to evacuate even if we were told.

I have bought canned tuna, crackers, 2 loafs of bread, 5 gallons of water, and a few non-perishable canned items. They are not expecting a huge deal to happen here but even in a gusty thunderstorm we seem to lose power. I bought flashlights and some cheap AAs, and 3 stick candles (bonus, they smell good!) I bought diapers and wipes for the baby, cat litter for the cats so we don't get completely stunk-out while there's no air circulating.

I am blessed to have made the mistake of getting an apartment that was WAY too big. We have a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom apartment. One thing I have been told by my hurricane surviving inlaws (who have been through katrina, ike, and rita), FILL UP BATH TUBS WITH WATER! not only does this provide drinking water if needed, but it will give you flush water as well. Boiling water, too. We are right by the common area of the complex so we have plenty of little charcoal grills that we could boil water if needed. Right now I am boiling up some chicken thighs I had frozen, and the purpose of this is to keep them on ice and use it for shredded chicken sandwiches, which is the only thing I can think of that I can make easily and not waste an entire pack of chicken. Depending on how the weather turns (it's wanting to be sunny right now but not quite as bright as it could be) I might end up browning all the hamburger meat in my freezer as well. Why would I do this? Because NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING is worse than having no power with raw hamburger going bad in a freezer, you CANNOT scrub the funk away, EVER. It will linger, and linger, and HAUNT your nostrils (been through it before, Oklahoma ice storm 2007, and refrigerator breaking down in WA in 2010)

As far as blankets/other misc supplies, I am married to a military man and he seems to always have extra gear taking up all 3 closets so we're not worried about that. Ponchos, blankets, medical supplies, canteens, etc. The only thing I am kinda worried about is how I am going to accomplish the dog's potty breaks....I guess I'll just keep her on a leash, that way if she gets picked up she won't completely fly away!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Deja`Vu

now that you bring that up...
I would probably lay in a few trade goods too... tobacco... booze... stuff like that... stuff the more pampered refuse to live without and would be ready to meet my unreasonable demands...

Sure I got a carton of marlboro reds... is that 5 cart diamond really all you got to trade???? okay I'll trade but you only get half a carton unless you throw in the Tera too...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
You will find that FEMA will do a good enough job to provide supplies afterwards if there will be extended times out of electricity.
So really, your biggest issue will be combating boredom. Get books, board games, etc...lots of candles and batteries. If you can secure yourself a couple solar panels for a makeshift power station to keep your ipad or whatnot juiced, then that is a good thing, otherwise, ya..just prepare for extended counting the tiles on the ceiling type stuff.

As someone whom went a month without power, I can attest to the boredom factor.
Seems you already got the rest...candles, water, and cook all the stuff in your freezer while you still have power. Get a little grill also for when it is gone..and get lots of pot noodles and other quick meals where you only have to add boiling water (grill = water boiler)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Make sure to wrap all your frozen food in bags and put them back in the freezer. If the power goes out and does not come back on you dont want all your frozen food to rot and smell up your freezer. that smell will never go away!!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
One thing I'd like to point out is that while the garbage can idea is a pretty good one, you gotta think that a 30 gallon can is gonna weigh 200+ pounds. Even two really strong dudes are going to have trouble moving it around due to the splish splash factor. Instead, use a hose to fill them up in a place they can remain where they won't be in the way or get knocked over.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I'm headed to Walmart to get a powder blue Rubbermaid bin to fill with Heineken.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Masking tape at the very least is a necessity on your exterior windows. Helps cut down on flying glass. Better is boards, but at this stage in the game you probably can't find a sheet of plywood with 100 miles of the east coast. Regardless, leave a small opening in your window so the pressure differential doesn't blow out the glass.

Your hot water heater is an excellent source of freshwater. No need to boil if you've shut your water off before the storm. I usually do once the feeder bands start to roll in. There's a good 25-50 gallons in there. I wouldn't recommend using your bathtub for drinking water. Save that for the toilet and Trucker Baths.

*Important* it's hot as the underside of the devil's nutsack right now...and it'll be back after the storm. Unfortunately the power may not be. If you have a generator you can make a swamp cooler that's more effective than the original design.

Lay a towel on top of a bucket of water. Pour water in the bucket to about 3/4 full, and depress the towel until you see a good puddle on top. Add a small fan that blows across the rim of the bucket and you'll drop the perceived tempature a good 10-15 degrees. That was the only way my grandmother survived Katrina.

Boredom is big, but it's already been covered so i won't go into it again.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If you live in a hurricane zone you should already have plywood measured, pre cut and labeled for every one of your windows stored in your garage or tool shed. I lived in coastal SC for five years and had my share of evacs. and close calls. I permanently installed Stainless hanger bolts to my exterior window casings and predrilled the plywood panels to match. Installation was easy. Hang the panels from the bolts and attach with wing nuts. I modified a hole saw attachement for my drill to speed the wing nut process.
Here you can buy hanger bolt kits
www.mcfeelys.com...

As far as a quick stash of potable water if you don't already have at least 14 gallons stored is to use the Water Bob. It fits in your tub and makes for quick and easy drinking water supply. It holds up to 100 gallons of water.

campingsurvival.com...

If you have another tub fill it and use the water for grey water needs. Be sure to add additional seal to the drain to prevent slow water loss. a flat piece of rubber works well. Like one of those old jar opener grippy things.

Batteries, candles, lanterns, headlamp, flashlights, propane mini cylinders and a screw on burner. etc etc
edit on 26-8-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-8-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Don't forget your water heater. You may have up to 100 gallons of potable water there. Make sure you turn off the gas or unplug it. Turn off the main water valve coming into your house so you don't get filled up with contaminated water. Open a faucet at the highest point in your house and you now have your water heater and all the pipes in your house filled with potable water.

new topics

top topics

join