It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Was the Virginia Earthquake Felt So Widely? For those on the west coast who thought we were over

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Why do earthquakes in the eastern U.S. travel so far? It has to do with the basic Earth structure. On the West Coast you have a lot of deformity—cracks, breaks, faults—and when an earthquake occurs a lot of that energy is dissipated. It's not felt as far because it has to travel through a lot of different rock formations and structures that are looser.

Will this shake up other faults in the region, causing more earthquakes? That's a possibility for some earthquakes. Some earthquakes will completely release the stress of a region, and then it's in equilibrium. But sometimes you have an earthquake and it builds up the stress in a different region because that area is not allowing the release of energy. It can go either way. It's a very difficult thing to figure out how exactly that stress is transferred[OK?]. Is it locked up somewhere else, or is all the stress and strain in equilibrium?

But the West Coast seems crumbly and fractured, and therefore easy to shake. With that kind of crumbly, broken-up crust, the earthquake energy is lost in the movement of the crust from one area to another. The energy goes and hits a fault and some of that energy is lost in the fault. Energy is lost much quicker than if you have this solid mass where the Earth is just one big rock.

Please see full article here

As you can see from this article, even though we are the east coast are not use to quakes, this quake, for its size, we did not overreact. Compared to you quakes,east coast quakes are much different because of the soil.

I have a friend of mine who lives in CA, he laughed at the size and the reaction of the "east coast"...what he didn't understand, like most of those on the west coast, its different over here on the east coast. I'm sure if the quake in VA had happened in CA, it would not have been felt in the same manner it was here.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
yup it was apparent that would be frequently shattered crust vs historically stable crust, as well as dense crust vs practically sand.

but no, dumbed down sheeple nowadays of the masses cannot think and reason for themselves why we made such a relatively big deal on a wider spanse of a lower magnitude EQ
edit on 24-8-2011 by ignant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Yes an eplaination of the quakes affects on the soil, 24 hours after the quake truly justifys the terror and fear in the those running for their lives on the news . Wussys ! Wait till you feel a 7.0.
edit on 24-8-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Ok, sorry but your wrong...I live in So Cal and we have earthqakes all the time your right...I had the last ones epicenter was in Mexico City and was very strong here and was felt in Las Vegas, Arozona, Colarado...I am not sure where you got your info, but I assure you its wrong. We are all laughing out here because you all think this is like a one of a kind event. Special just for you. I assure you its not....Relax and get over it. Also look up earthquake safety. The Midwest and east coast are way over due for a REALLY big one. Just Like us out west.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
very simple. It wasnt that deep and its all one plate over there. The west coast has many more plates therefore it does not travel as far.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Yesterday the news it was explained for 2 reasons it felt so strong, 1st, it was just under the surface,in the west our quakes are deep, 2nd the east coast has older rocks they said the rocks are harder then in the west younger rocks absorb the skaking better.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a good analogy would be like complaining theres a drought in the desert, to a drought in the rain forest.

the desert flora and fauna tell the rain forest flora fauna get over it and laugh while much of the rain forest dies and turns to desert, much to the morbid pleasure of the desert clan.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

grr I was responding once again to this thread, and messed up. Okay Look 3 years ago here in SO CAL we had a 5.5 that was felt in Las Vegas, Utah, Arizona. A year and a half ago we had one on Easter and it was centerd in Mexico City (250 miles from me) it was a 7.0 it was felt all the way in North CA, Arizona, Nevada, New mexico, and even texas...so guess I wonder what all the freaking out is about. And again those parts of the US that havent had a major earthquake look up the past quakes even before the were recorded but are proven to have happend. Your over due guys....Be greatfull that it was a little one for gosh sakes it takes pressure off the fault lines. Also those concerned about the rain comming Burkley did a study and found it has no effect on the plates.

new topics

top topics

join