It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Light 'Under Stricken Red Arrows Jet'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tetsuoatx

All i can say is that you have brought a smile to my face with that statement

Wee Mad

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Lol people claim some ridiculous stuff sometimes I just wanted to counter act it. reply to post by weemadmental

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Oh big wow it has no afterburners ok?....And? How is this a mystery? Maybe you should rename the thread then.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by weemadmental

strobe lights are normally white on airframes, its not the same as the navigational lights that you are thinking of

Wee mad

Wee
As I recall nav lights are on wing tips, a white strobe light if installed would be facing the rear of the air craft, anti collision lights on the air frame would be red. So if things are different then so be it but that is just what went through my head when I was looking at it.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Originally posted by tommyjo
It is the high intensity strobe / anti collision light fitted under the rear of the fuselage.

The only question I have about that is the flash is white or bright yellow. I was under the impression that anti collision strobes on air craft are suppose to be red.

It will be high intensity white strobes on the Hawks. See following image of Red Arrows.

The photographer has caught an underfuselage rear strobe on one Hawk and the spine strobe on another.

farm7.static.flickr.com...

From

forums.airshows.co.uk...

TJ

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

did you look at the ops linked picture ?, the light is underneath the airframe not in the jet pipe, the bae hawk used by the red arrows has a Rolls-Royce Turbomeca Adour Mk 151A which includes a modified jetpipe for smoke generation, it is a dry engine (no afterburner) it does come in different marks that are wet but are used in the Jaguar airframes.

It is a mystery light to the op as they do not know what it is, if the picture shows a light in this position it is not an afterburner, please read the posts before jumping in and accusing an extremely talented pilot of pilot error when you do not hold any facts or can prove what you are taking about.

Wee mad (rant over)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Ok? We already discussed it wasn't afterburners; however pilot error still can be an issue pre flight checks? No one else had an issue during this flight. So it comes down to pilot error, or mechanical failure in which maybe the pilot had no control over. Mysterious? No, just an unfortunate mishap.

accusing an extremely talented pilot of pilot error when you do not hold any facts or can prove what you are taking about.

So I guess "Extremely talented pilots" don't have mishaps is that what your saying? You might know a lot about this particular aircraft, but you fail to realize the reality. That's like me saying Navy SEALS can't die, because they are an elite force of individuals. There is no mystery behind it.
edit on 24-8-2011 by KonquestAbySS because: Added a quote, and an ending argument

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommyjo
[It will be high intensity white strobes on the Hawks. See following image of Red Arrows.

The photographer has caught an underfuselage rear strobe on one Hawk and the spine strobe on another.

farm7.static.flickr.com...

Excellent - thanks

The strobe lights on civilian airlienrs I am familiar with have always ben in the wingtips next to the navigation lights, so I hadn't considered this!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
OK, I am going to go way out of the box with this. Could the plane have been hit with a high powered laser?
That is what the flash looks like to me.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
OK, I am going to go way out of the box with this. Could the plane have been hit with a high powered laser?
That is what the flash looks like to me.

How about reading the thread and looking at th elinked photographs? Then you won;t sound so silly suggesting outlandinsh options when the actually truth, backed up with actual photographs, hhas already been presented.

Nice work Wee Mad - I have always been a huge fan of the arrows, and personaally can't remember the last time they had an accident, (40 years or more?) They really were among the worlds best pilots.

From all the pics I have seen it is obviously a tail strobe.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

Well, I have zero knowledge of any airplane of any kind, so I cannot say what it is or isn't. Here's what I get from the article:

He also said the plane was in the Red 4 position but the Ministry of Defence has not confirmed that the jet in the picture was the stricken aircraft.

and

A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said the inquiry is being carried out by the Military Air Accident Investigation Branch. She added: "The photograph has been passed to the inquiry team."

So, if it is only the strobe light, the pic is in the experts hands and they will confirm that. If it is not, it is a 'mystery light'.
I can't imagine why the people quoted in the story wouldn't have immediately known what the light was. They see these craft in flight on a regular basis.
edit on 8/24/11 by jennybee35 because: sp

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Of course, you are absolutely right. But having read all the posts in this thread and looked at all the linked pictures etc it does appear to me that this light is in exactly the right place to be a tail strobe light, or whatever this is called. It does match up perfectly to the photographs linked.

Of course it may be something else, but the inquirey team will, as you say, be able to determine what it is very quickly.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
These jets always get super polished up before a performance... So a reflection doesn't surprise me in the least.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Is it 100% certain it's a strobe light? I mean the plane did crash right after the picture of the light was taken. Could it be a possible small explosion? Like everyone has said these pilots are some of the best in the world. A small explosion could explain the crash. A normal light flashing on an airplane cannot.

I don't know, which is why I'm asking.

Strict..

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Maybe a foo fighter got too close.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Hi, I thought I would just add my twopenneth worth regarding the red arrow, mystery light.
Though I know ziltch about planes ect.. This tragic accident happened pretty much right over my house, I dont know the timeline of when this photgraph was taken but I can say that the last sight I had of the red arrows seemed to be the time when things went wrong and no light was visible to me or my son.

Basically the flight path from the airshow to the airport take the planes right over my house, we saw the red arrows going over to the show, they do travel very low and always go and return to the airport in groups of 3, on their return we stood outside and watched two groups of 3 fly back followed by the third group, only rather than 3 planes there were only two, the third plane in this group had seemed to be off course, instead of flying right over the house he flew more around to the left,
This surprised us and really should have made us realise things were not as they should as during my 19 yrs of living in this house the red arrows have NEVER done this, they have always flown in 3 perfect groups of 3 right over the house.
Within seconds of this happening the plane went down over in the field
I found out withing minutes that the debris from the crash started aprox 1.9km away from where I was stood.
I would just like to add that Red 4 Jon Egging is said to have steered the plane away from houses, a busy road, the airport building and a childrens adventure play park, And now I guess my last sighting I had of the arrows was him doing exactly this.
RIP Red 4 Jon Egging XXX

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

See you must understand I posted something out of the ordinary, because usually you don't want double post. I was the first to say well maybe it was an afterburner, but further into the post there was an argument in which the person who was knowledgeable to this type of aircraft called me out, but never responded back to my argument about pilot or mechanical mishaps, that individual basically thought he won, but I basically set him up. However coming up with outlandish things that maybe irrelevant could be relevant to an argument later on. There is no right or wrong if you play your cards right.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I think there was aprox 5 other planes came down on the same day as this with in a fairly short timeframe of each other.

I know someone has pointed out that it would be funny if someone tried to link the white orbs to this. THere was a recent video published here with white orbs.

I witnessed one of these a couple of days before this recent set of plane crashes. A very small plane I was watching seemed to excute a swift change in its flightpath to avoid one of the white orbs in is path.

I was not aware that these orbs had anything to do with crop circles. A lot in the recent post believed these were ball lightning. The one I observed was certainly not lightning. There seems to be a huge increas in the sightings of these white orbs.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Meanwhile the child with the lazer pen gets away scott free...

At flight shows and on busy air flight paths, the security & the police should really find a way to block technologies like the lazer pen :/

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Im sorry you set me up?, thats interesting, & i didnt carry on with the argument?, i went to my bed

I mearly pointed out that the engine isn't wet, disproving your theory, i wasn't arguing with you.

The display team are from the top of the pile in the RAF, the airframes are very well maintained, it was in my opinion a mechanical failure in the engine, not pilot error, the pilot has flown his aircraft away from the public whilst losing altitude, didn't look like he had power, saving them at his risk and sadly his life has been lost.

Yes every pilot suffers from pilot error at one stage or another during their career, however these pilots are some of the best in the RAF, and realistically in the world, so the chances are slim at best towards this end.

If you have no idea of the airframe or have little knowledge of flight please don't add your 2 cents with unsubstantiated accusations or theories.

Wee Mad
edit on 25/8/2011 by weemadmental because: to add that i went to my bed !

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join