It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VA Nuclear Plant Loses Power After Quake...NRC WARNED some systems "not seismically designed."

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The insanity just keeps rolling in:

North Anna Nuclear Reactors Only Designed to Withstand 5.9 - 6.1 Magnitude Earthquake

An earthquake measuring 5.9 on the Richter scale just occurred less than a hour ago. It's epicenter was in Mineral, VA—approximately 10 miles from two nuclear power reactors at the North Anna site. According to a representative of Dominion Power, the two reactors were designed to withstand a 5.9-6.1 quake. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) ranked the North Anna Reactors as being 7th in the nation in terms of earthquake risks.

And:

Quake sensors removed around Virginia nuke plant due to budget cuts

A nuclear power plant that was shut down after an earthquake struck central Virginia Tuesday had seismographs removed in 1990s due to budget cuts.

U.S. nuclear officials said that the North Anna Power Station, which has two nuclear reactors, had lost offsite power and was using diesel generators to maintain cooling operations after an 5.9 earthquake hit the region.

The North Anna plant, which was near the epicenter of Tuesday's quake, is reportedly located on a fault line.

I think it's safe to worry now.

edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thank you for all the information. It almost seems unbelievable that they would remove seismographs from power plants, but it does not surprise me at all.

I hope that this was not a foreshock to a bigger quake, especially since this one was so close to North Anna. Also hope that everyone is alright, as there was some damage in the area.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
There's a map on this site that shows where the earthquake occurred in relation to nuclear reactors like the North Anna reactors: rhiza.com... They also link to a Reuters report that outlines some of the failures in the response to the reactor shutdown. We were basically one failed generator from a Fukashima-scale disaster.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by datageek

Need to repost this here as I feel it is pertinent.

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by avatarded1

I think the EQs have more to do with the theory below than Elenin. Particularly with the considered correlation of Nuclear reactors near the areas and the FACT Russia did in fact stop producing Uranium.

I go further to say the NWO, Russia being part thereof, decided to enact this decision so the deadly uranium would be used therefore causing all these shutdowns and problems THEREFORE causing venting THEREFORE using HAARP to cause the Iron nail that causes the EQ's...PURPOSEFULLY. Every Nuclear Reactor will OR IS having this happen to it.

Entire Northern Hemisphere. Depopularized. As the Battle LA trailer says 'In 2011 Nothing can prepare you for whats next 03.11.11'

Do your research people. If you live in the Northern Hemisphere it is your very life.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
seems they are back up on primary power

buried in an article that leads with the Monument issues..

cnn.com

Early Wednesday, Dominion Virginia Power said primary power has been restored to the cooling systems of two nuclear reactors that had been affected. The plant used back up diesel generators after power was lost, the company said.
Dan Stoddard, senior vice president of nuclear operations for Dominion, said there was no damage to the spent fuel pool.

The plant vented steam, but there was no release of radioactive material, Louisa County spokeswoman Amanda Reidelbach told CNN.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Not comforting that they vented steam, but at least they say it was clean.

There is also this update:

Dominion North Anna reactors go into 'cold' shutdown

Dominion Resources Inc. is putting its two nuclear reactors at the North Anna Power Station into “cold” shutdown to inspect for damage from Tuesday’s earthquake, Bloomberg News reported. The 5.8-magnitude earthquake had its epicenter in Mineral, Va., which is near the plant.

Karl Neddenien, spokesman for Dominion, told Bloomberg in a telephone interview that the cold shutdown is not expected to be extended, but would be, “as long as it takes to make sure it’s safe.”

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join