It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who else expects this African famine to spread like wildfire?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I fully expect the famine in Africa to spread like wildfire. Consider if you will, the following:

Flooding in the midwestern United States earlier this year
Drought in the southern United States
Drought in Russia
Flooding in Australia earlier this year

Wheat Exports by Country

So, basically, we have major problems in the top 3 wheat exporting countries.

Now, not only do you have the largest wheat exporter in the world having flooding in the planting season, it appears a good bit of the Midwest is having drought in the growing season.

This is even more of a problem because parts of the world that produce a lot of food themselves are having a drought, too. Europe, the Horn of Africa, and China are having major drought as well.

Basically, we've got major crop failure worldwide due to drought, and the fall-back staple of wheat seems like it's going to be severely limited as well because the three major exporters are having huge problems.

I fully expect this famine in Africa to get much, much worse in the following months.

My question is this: Why isn't the media reporting this more widely? Is there some conspiracy to not connect the dots and cover up information? To find the bits of information that I did, I had to do literally hours of searching. What's going on here?
edit on 23-8-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Sorry mate, I just can't see your scenario. There are a range of issues in Africa that create and maintain famine in that country that we simply don't have in the west... regardless of droughts, floods and so forth. Our ability to coordinate, utilise combined knowledge, technology, inventiveness and tenacity to bounce back from any such scenario just isn't apparent in the African nations.

IRM

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck

My question is this: Why isn't the media reporting this more widely? Is there some conspiracy to not connect the dots and cover up information? To find the bits of information that I did, I had to do literally hours of searching. What's going on here?
edit on 23-8-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

Because public panic is often worse than the actual disaster.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The media doesn't report on it more widely because they already exploited the topic. These floods and droughts are all perfectly normal. They happen from time to time. We have had droughts and floods since the beginning of recorded human history. They have already made a big deal out of nothing. There has always been famine in Africa. Its not because of the land, there are very successful nations in Africa. It is because some countries over there have oppressive governments, or no government at all for that matter. Those warlords and gangsters take all the food, and extort the people, protecting them from themselves. This allows for NO movement towards agriculture and cultivating the land. No irrigation systems, nothing. Egyptians have been living in a sand pit for 5000 years and counting, if they can do it, anyone can.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Here in America, we store food. In Africa they cannot get it together to store food.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Yes, I agree that it'll get much worse because the ramifications of the crop losses in the US have not hit the world market just yet. In addition to the disasters you've mentioned, there was a tremendous loss of crops due to wildfires in the drought-stricken areas of Texas, Oklahoma and neighboring states. Even if the drought in Africa ends soon and they are blessed with abundant rains, it will take years to rebuild their decimated farmland. It's a disaster already, and it can get far worse.

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
My question is this: Why isn't the media reporting this more widely?

Why waste our time with such things when there's more important issues, like what Lindsay Lohan is wearing to her latest court hearing, or whether Pippa or Kim Kardashian have a better butt. The coverage of the African disaster has been pathetic, the MSM should be embarrassed. Same with the Japan situation, those people are still suffering terribly and there's absolutely no word of it in the MSM, you have to go to alternative news sites to see what's happening in the world. MSM seems to be nothing more than a diversion, and the "why" of this is a little scary to contemplate.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpongeBeard
Because public panic is often worse than the actual disaster.

Seriously, have you been reading the stories out of Africa? People are abandoning their villages and walking hundreds of miles with their children in tow to try and find food and water. They're leaving their dead and dying children on the sides of the roads in an effort to save their healthier children. The ground is so parched and hard that they can't even bury the dead, so they leave them along the roads with leaves and fronds laid over the bodies. This is as big a disaster as I've heard in my lifetime.

"We are seeing all the points able to distribute food completely overwhelmed," she said, adding that a camp in Dadaab in Kenya that was built for 90,000 people now housed 400,000.

"We've heard of women making the horrible choice of leaving behind their weaker children to save the stronger ones or having children die in their arms."

And here's part of the problem right here:

The WFP has said it cannot reach more than 2 million Somalis facing starvation in areas controlled by Islamist militants, who imposed a food aid ban in 2010 and have regularly threatened relief groups.

Source
edit on 23-8-2011 by SavedOne because: typo

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Here in America, we store food. In Africa they cannot get it together to store food.

Did you know that Bush, messed that up, too. It's NOT what it used to be...and, if i'm not mistaken, the storehouse only had a couple of years worth of food stored!
I guess people think that the grocery stores are going to sustain us...and they only hold a couple of DAYS worth of stock.

This generation is something. Nah, LAZY is what it is. Our LIFESTYLES are UNSUSTAINABLE! What part don't you GET??? Sure, the earth is PLENTIFUL....but the supermarkets aren't....and people would rather SHOP, for their fruits and veggies because they got no 'time' to work a garden. Think about the insanity. We PAY for things that are free? Oh wait, i forgot......bananas don't grow on trees.

top topics

join