It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demand Justice For Sexually Assaulted Student Ignored By Her School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I am disgusted at what has taken place here. A child is raped at school, complains about it and is then blamed for it. "Failing to protect yourself" is not a reason that she should have to apologize to her rapist for being raped. This kind of thing absolutely makes me sick and I cannot understand how teachers and adults can let such a horrible thing happen and respond in this way. These people should face justice, and so should this rapist.

When she was only in seventh grade, a special education student in Republic, Missouri told school officials that another student had sexually assaulted her.

Their response? To force her to write an apology letter to her rapist, then expel her for the rest of the year. When the student returned to school in the fall, the boy continued to harass and assault her.

Then, in February 2010, he raped her in the back of the school library.Despite his admission of guilt in juvenile court and DNA evidence of his crime, the school still claims that the situation is "frivolous."

According to the Republic School District, the only one who deserves punishment in the case is the student herself, for "failing to protect herself."

______beforeitsnews/story/989/218/Demand_Justice_For_Sexually_Assaulted_Student_Ignored_By_Her_School_Where_It_Happened.html

If things like this are brushed aside or not acknowledged and not thoroughly pursued then they will continue. We as people need to put our foot down and make these people accountable. The school should have to pay for what has happened to this girl, it may bring emotional suffering for years to come and significantly effect her life in the future.

There is a petition going in an effort to bring some justice. I strongly urge you to sign it and try to put these people in the frying pan. Petition

Good day.

edit on 22-8-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Indeed some justice needs to be handed out. I'm no lawyer but I think the teachers/administrators should be charged with reckless endangerment or something of the nature. What should happen to the student who committed the rape? Only in seventh grade and upon return he continues to harass her, wtf? I know it is a special-ed school, but that is no excuse for this. Even at such a young age, the child has proven to be a danger to society.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Trouble in Little Chi

Well he should have been immediately expelled, and never allowed to be anywhere near the girl again. You're right the teachers and admins should be charged and/or sued for wreckless endangerment and should lose their jobs. I'm not sure about what the appropriate punishment would be for the boy, but he certainly shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the school again that is for sure.....

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Hmm, this articles lacks serious details of the case. Republic is a suburb of where I live so the papers have been all over this. She initially changed her story after the first rape incident saying it never happened. The school charged her with falsifying rape which is a big deal in Missouri. Regardless the school should have investigated this matter more thoroughly.

Then the second time she was raped, it occurred in the library, yet where is the librarian?

edit on 22-8-2011 by blink7522 because: grammar

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Here's a more in depth article, and not that crap you posted

News Leader Article

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by blink7522

Yeah cheers for the news link, couldn't find a good one myself.

They may have made her change the story so that they could be absolved of guilt. I feel that they could just apply pressure in order to save their jobs etc and this is what is happening. What an absolute injustice! My heart really goes out to her, it's tragic. Do many people know about it there?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I was seriously pissed when I first read this story, how she was raped and then raped again because the school ignored her and forced her to apologize to her rapist who confessed after the second time.

In thinking about this though and the medias ways of sensationalizing any story in order to get ratings there may be more to the story that we do not know. It is clear now that she was raped, as an examination proved, and considerring that the person she accused of it confessed and that is horrible.

I hate to completely demonize the school automatically though, as far as we know that particular female student may have had a history of making false accusations or making up other stories. Regardless anything like this should be automatically taken seriously and have the police brought in to make a determination of accuracy or not. In the past though boys or men have had lives ruined with just an accusation that later turned out to be false.

I hope that they thought they were doing the best thing in a horrible situation, assuming that she was lying and trying to protect the boy from those lies.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I forsee a very hefty lawsuit win for this family.

They deserve it.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1977

False accusations in the past or not, she was raped and it was proven, and then made to apologize to the rapist and is now in a lot of trouble. The fact that the boy was allowed near her again after this was proven is just beyond me. Many lives have been ruined in the past because of false accusations, definitely, but this isn't a false accusation as the rape was confirmed in an examination. So yes we can blame the school, they should be protecting her.

In February 2010, the boy allegedly forcibly raped the girl again, this time in the back of the school library. While school officials allegedly expressed skepticism of the girl, her mother took her to the Child Advocacy Center and an exam showed a sexual assault had occurred. DNA in semen found on the girl matched the DNA of the boy she accused, the suit says.

The boy was taken into custody in Juvenile Court and pleaded guilty to charges, the suit says. The specific charges are not stated in the suit. “School Officials acted recklessly in conscious disregard of and with deliberate indifference to the risk of [the girl’s] safety by failing to conduct an investigation into her allegations of rape and sexual assault, by suspending her from school, and by failing to provide her with any protection from her rapist,”

www.news-leader.com...|mostview

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Our local news station has been doing updates every night. They're working with little information though as both these kids are still minors.

It seems as though multiple faculty members knew about this incident. Those that did should lose their teaching licenses!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Actually your timeline is off, nothing was proven about the rape when she was made to apologize. It was ignored, which is bad in itself but again we have no knowledge of why they may have decided what she said was not credable.

Now later she was raped a second time by the same boy and it was only proven then. I can't imagine any kind of person that would knowlingly allow that to happen. Until I hear different I will operate under the assumption that they were moving forward with what they believed was the best interest of both kids. if they felt she lied with something as serious as that and it was true than they would have been justified in the expulsion.

If nothing else discipline them for ignoring the claim the first time and for not at least having her see a doctor for a medical exam to determine if rape had happened in the first place. The media sensationalizes way too much for ratings, there is more to this story than we know I promise that.
edit on 22-8-2011 by seeker1977 because: typo

top topics

join